Sign in to follow this  
AlanNancy

Which is the best credit card to use in Europe

We use an Marks and Spencer credit card but they now charge 2. 99% on all non sterling transactions!

Which is the best credit card to use in Europe?

Alan

MoneySaving Expert. com  will give you a detailed assessment of all the good points and bad.

Nationwide Visa is my preference and has been for years. Charge-free for credit card use and transfer to GBP at bulk rates.

I believe Santander and possibly Halifax do something similar.

Nationwide select credit card.

I pay for everything with it when abroad as they do not charge a foreign transaction fee.

Then pay each days transactions off on the day it appears on the statement using my banking app. on my phone/tablet.

They have recently reduced the cash back bonus though.

We use Nationwide Visa as it is charge free.   Halifax do the Clarity card.

I have a Post office Credit Card that I use in Europe without charges, I also have my motorway toll tag linked to it.

I believe it is administered by The Bank of Ireland, the call centres are certainly in Ireland.

I don't use a credit card abroad but use my debit card.    Since N&P Banking closed down, I transferred to Metro Bank and they give you cash withdrawals without any charges.    On the withdrawal last week I was charged at €1. 14 to GBP.

Like Woodentop we have a Nationwide account (an old one - no longer available to new members) with two separate cards, his and hers.   OH has a Halifax Clarity account and until recently we had an N&P debit card.   All of these are conversion fee free and transaction fee free.   We changed to Metrobank too - we have a debit card each,  and will apply for a credit card in the New Year, once we've got the current account properly up and running.    The other advantage to Metrobank is that there is no monthly charge, no minimum monthly transaction limit, no requirement to transfer direct debits, and no minimum monthly payments into the account - so it can run as a second current account without any problems with existing accounts.

We  use the Halifax Clarity Card - no charges. Our main accounts are elsewhere - and I’m an ex-employee, now a Pensioner - but they still charge!

• Like 1

We use the Post Office credit cards,no charges for using them.

I use a prepaid card from fairfx. Bank transfer to add Euros at a decent rate then it's all charged in Euros.

No transaction charges for normal use but probably for cash withdrawal - not sure about that. ..

Edited by PandR

It is worth noting that not all outlets will accept pre-paid cards.

'Pay by card' pumps on the service stations on the Autoroutes are definitely one place we have had problems in the past. (though things may have changed I concede, this was a few years ago).

Can only speak about Fairfx but it's never failed anywhere. It looks and acts like a normal credit card but you pump (in my cases) Euros on it in advance.

32 minutes ago, Wallace said:

'Pay by card' pumps on the service stations on the Autoroutes are definitely one place we have had problems in the past. (though things may have changed I concede, this was a few years ago).

You are correct. My easyfx card does not work at pay at the pump even in UK, but it works if you go into the kiosk to pay and its worked everywhere else Ive used it, and ive used it places like Brazil and Trinidad in fairly remote corner shops. As long as they have the maestro logo on their machine its good.

Another vote for the Post Office Credit Card.   Use Monzo debit card worldwide.

13 minutes ago, Alexbee said:

You are correct. My easyfx card does not work at pay at the pump even in UK, but it works if you go into the kiosk to pay and its worked everywhere else Ive used it, and ive used it places like Brazil and Trinidad in fairly remote corner shops. As long as they have the maestro logo on their machine its good.

I think it's something to do with the system not being able to pre-approve the sale on the card because it doesn't actually know how much the card has been pre-loaded with. .......or something like that.

I also once had problems with one in the US in Wall Mart or 7/11 I think it was, but that was a long time ago now.

If you use any card for a small transaction in Walmart,Kmart etc in the US it is quite likely to be rejected as this is what crooks do to check a stolen card works.

46 minutes ago, Wallace said:

I think it's something to do with the system not being able to pre-approve the sale on the card because it doesn't actually know how much the card has been pre-loaded with. .......or something like that.

I also once had problems with one in the US in Wall Mart or 7/11 I think it was, but that was a long time ago now.

Not true with the Fairfx one. Behaves identically to a real credit card, including holding monies at approval stage.

Using any card abroad for the first time on a trip can trigger a fraud alert so it's good practice to phone your bank or card company in advance and tell them your plans

4 minutes ago, PandR said:

Not true with the Fairfx one. Behaves identically to a real credit card, including holding monies at approval stage.

Using any card abroad for the first time on a trip can trigger a fraud alert so it's good practice to phone your bank or card company in advance and tell them your plans

Interestingly the Nationwide say they no longer require you to do this. (you could do it on line through their on line banking) I was told this year just to insert my cards into an ATM as soon as I got there and this would mark them as being in use abroad and any further transactions would just be processed in the normal way.

Edited by Wallace

10 minutes ago, KNARF said:

If you use any card for a small transaction in Walmart,Kmart etc in the US it is quite likely to be rejected as this is what crooks do to check a stolen card works.

That doesn't seem to fit with this.

https://www. creditcards. com/credit-card-news/pay-with-cash-poll. php

6 minutes ago, PandR said:

Their web site says different however.

https://www. fairfx. com/faq

Card has been declined at an automated petrol pump

Unfortunately there is a service restriction when using FairFX cards at automated petrol pumps and dispensers. We have been forced to introduce a restriction for use of the FairFX Card at self-service petrol pumps and motorway toll booths. The reason for this is that these types of terminals do not check that there is sufficient funds on the card prior to authorisation. The result is that the FairFX Card be forced into a negative balance by use of the card at such terminals.

Please do note that the restriction only applies to self service petrol pumps and motorway toll booths. Should the petrol garage and / or motorway toll booth be manned then the FairFX Card can be used without issue.  

Halifax Clarity as recommended by Money Saving Expert .

• Like 1

We have both Nationwide and Post Office cards - no charges.

John.    :)

3 hours ago, Wallace said:

Our Travel Cash Passport through Travelex is now Chip and Pin. No charge for using ATM’s abroad and Automatic fuel pumps accept them at the major super markets.

we load them up when exchange rate is favourable.