Sign in to follow this  
Jamesek

Planning our first trip to france via ferry

A few clarifications:

Hi-Viz vests are required for all passengers and driver and must be available to put on before leaving the vehicle. The French way is to have one for the driver hanging over the back of the driver's seat and then the others can be accessed by the driver as required after he has put his vest on.

A Crit-Air certificate costs less than a fiver including postage and lasts for the life of the vehicle. It was only Paris, Lille and Grenoble as I remember but more and more cities are joining in. It can take over four weeks to arrive so get your order in early - pay be credit card. The disc needs to be fitted to the windscreen so that it can be seen by a police officer standing in front of the vehicle - ignore the instruction about fitting it in the lower right corner of the screen, and to be UK compliant it must NOT be mounted within the swept area of the wipers.

Take a copy of the V5C and your insurance NOT the originals, and breakdown triangles - one each for the car and caravan. Forget the breathalysers - if you are a worrier buy them in France (if you can find them) where they are much cheaper.  

Speed cameras as already discussed are usually tall poles set back from the road, often behind a bush or other disguise, so they can see the rear of your vehicle. They are also fitted into the tailgate of an estate car with the camera in the luggage area surrounding by black screening so you cannot see it and a flash and the radar fitted lower down in the tailgate: they are often left there all day. The fuzz are also sneaky; they will put up a speed trap either fixed (often hidden by a bridge or bush) or hand held and then put another 1Km or less along the road so you get stopped, think you are free and then get caught again. It is now possible for French  police to get your details from the DVSA and send you a fine in the post. Don't pay it if you choose not to, but then try and get into France again. ....

Finally, the CMC site at Black Horse Farm is good, but look at some of the local CLs. We drive down on Monday, stay at Lenacre Farm CL at Whitfield just east of Dover, have a day in the area and get a Wednesday morning ferry. Coming back we stay at Le Manoir des Senlecques about 6 miles inland of Boulogne (and 10 mins from a large Auchan retail centre for last minute shopping) then get a mid/late afternoon ferry and stay overnight at Lenacre Farm on the way back. Takes the pressure off.

Edited by Woodentop

2 hours ago, Woodentop said:

A few clarifications:

Hi-Viz vests are required for all passengers and driver and must be available to put on before leaving the vehicle

Take a copy of the V5C and your insurance NOT the originals

By law only one high viz vest is required but it makes sense to have one for everyone.

The AA  say they must be the originals

Edited by KNARF

23 minutes ago, KNARF said:

By law only one high viz vest is required but it makes sense to have one for everyone.

The AA  say they must be the originals

My research disputes that. There must be one vest for each occupant so that if they have to get out of the car they will show up. However there is only need for one vest to be inside the car (usually the driver's) so that it can be donned if necessary to get the others out of the boot or whatever.

9 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

My research disputes that. There must be one vest for each occupant so that if they have to get out of the car they will show up. However there is only need for one vest to be inside the car (usually the driver's) so that it can be donned if necessary to get the others out of the boot or whatever.

Le Comité interministériel de la sécurité routière (CISR) du 13 février 2008 a décidé de rentre obligatoire la présence dans tout véhicule d’un gilet de sécurité et d’un triangle de pré-signalisation (en complément des feux de détresse). Le non respect de ces obligations est passible d’une contravention de la quatrième classe (amende forfaitaire de 135 €, amende minorée de 90 €).

If you use the site specified by Knarf (via Google) you can translate to read following

How to use the safety vest

The safety vest must be worn by the driver before leaving the vehicle, at night and during the day, whatever the visibility conditions, following an emergency stop.  The vest should be easily accessible (in the glove box, under the seat, etc.). On highway, the driver wearing his safety vest must leave his vehicle on the passenger side and get as quickly as possible behind the slides.

How to use the triangle:

The pre-signaling triangle must be on board the vehicle.

The triangle is mandatory if the vehicle is stopped on the road.

The triangle is not mandatory if the vehicle is immobilized on the emergency stop strip (BAU), which is not part of the roadway.

If the immobilized vehicle encroaches on the roadway of the highway, the driver must ask the question of the use of the triangle.

As a general rule, the triangle is not obligatory when its installation, on any type of road, constitutes an endangerment of the driver's life, which it is up to him to evaluate.  

The vest and the triangle must comply with the regulations in force (European Community marking "CE" for the vest and certification by marking "E 27 R" for the triangle.  

geoff

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Woodentop said:

A few clarifications:

Hi-Viz vests are required for all passengers and driver and must be available to put on before leaving the vehicle. The French way is to have one for the driver hanging over the back of the driver's seat and then the others can be accessed by the driver as required after he has put his vest on.

Speed cameras as already discussed are usually tall poles set back from the road, often behind a bush or other disguise, so they can see the rear of your vehicle.  

Woodentop, I refer you to the page from the Sécurité Routière to which I posted a link on page 3 of this thread, which clearly states ONE Hi-viz vest per vehicle.

French fixed speed cameras come in several shapes and sizes. The newer ones - which can identify different classes of vehicle - are slender upright structures facing the oncoming traffic but there are many older, squat, boxes which face in the opposite direction.  

On the issue of speed camera detection devices.

My understanding is that if your sat nav detects a 'dangerous road segement' which of course coincidentally means a camera is sited there there is no need to disable the facility on your sat nav.

This was certainly correct a few years ago and has been my understanding each year we since we have travelled to France.

Or is my misunderstanding just another peice of confusion and mis truths this thread seems to be filled with?

12 hours ago, shipbroker said:

How to use the safety vest

The safety vest must be worn by the driver before leaving the vehicle, at night and during the day, whatever the visibility conditions, following an emergency stop.  The vest should be easily accessible (in the glove box, under the seat, etc.). On highway, the driver wearing his safety vest must leave his vehicle on the passenger side and get as quickly as possible behind the slides.

A UK driver getting out on the passenger is a strange one?   Where does that leave a UK passenger as on many cars it is extremely difficult to clamber across the central console to exit the vehicle on the offside?

• Like 1

It was written in French for the French,not for UK caravanners per se,  so a modicum of license should be made!

geoff

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wallace said:

On the issue of speed camera detection devices.

My understanding is that if your sat nav detects a 'dangerous road segement' which of course coincidentally means a camera is sited there there is no need to disable the facility on your sat nav.

This was certainly correct a few years ago and has been my understanding each year we since we have travelled to France.

Or is my misunderstanding just another peice of confusion and mis truths this thread seems to be filled with?

My understanding is the same as yours.  

The thing that IS outlawed in France is any form of electronic radar 'spotter' device. There are also discussions over outlawing the use of apps such as Waze or Coyote which enable drivers to warn others of the location of a camera but I don't believe any action has been taken as yet.

44 minutes ago, Chalky9 said:

My understanding is the same as yours.  

The thing that IS outlawed in France is any form of electronic radar 'spotter' device. There are also discussions over outlawing the use of apps such as Waze or Coyote which enable drivers to warn others of the location of a camera but I don't believe any action has been taken as yet.

1. The law prohibits since 1973 the use, possession and even the transport of a device or product intended to disturb, scramble, detect, detect the control devices used to detect violations of road legislation. These machines are radar detectors.

In April 2017 the legislators proposed the introduction of a new law banning all forms of warning motorists of the presence police activity on the roads including things like facebook etc.

A prosecution was brought against a motorist last year allegedly using telephonic communication to warn of speed traps but it failed as the law hasn't been passed as yet.

1 minute ago, KNARF said:

1. The law prohibits since 1973 the use, possession and even the transport of a device or product intended to disturb, scramble, detect, detect the control devices used to detect violations of road legislation. These machines are radar detectors.

In April 2017 the legislators proposed the introduction of a new law banning all forms of warning motorists of the presence police activity on the roads including things like facebook etc.

A prosecution was brought against a motorist last year allegedly using telephonic communication to warn of speed traps but it failed as the law hasn't been passed as yet.

A Satnav with warnings of speed trap areas should not fall into any of the categories above as it is not warning of of the presence of police activity etc.   In addition, I would think that in any EU country no police officer can demand that you hand over a Satnav for them to access and inspect as many Satnav contain personal information and for that a warrant would probably be required.   Best course of action of course is to keep within the speed limit to avoid any hassles.

2 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Best course of action of course is to keep within the speed limit to avoid any hassles.

This of course is always said by at least one person when this subject comes up and it is of course it is perfectly true.

However it is also true that a reminder you are on a piece of road that is regarded as potentially dangerous can be an assistance particularly when driving in a foreign country.

It also is a rare person who can claim that they never ever have crept over a speed limit and a 'bing' to remind you not to or you will likely get clobbered for a fine does no harm either. I have a speed limit warning on my Garmin sat nav set to on all the time and if I inadvertently exceed the limit on any road it has accurate data for it lets me know immediately. Useful on roads where there is a regular change of limit for no real obvious reason. (Yes and before someone says it it's not 100% reliable either so yes you cannot totally rely on it which is a good thing anyway).

(You only have to stray over the limit once to get a ticket, even if 99. 9999999% you drive under or on the limit).

With the setting on it also often gives advance notice of a change in limit too.

22 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

A Satnav with warnings of speed trap areas should not fall into any of the categories above

As posted earlier is is already written in law that Warning of Danger Zones on Sat Navs is legal

Whilst it might be 'law' to only have one vest, it doesn't make any sense to have to get your family out of a car and over the barriers in the event of a breakdown, or if you have to help out in case of an accident,  without them wearing a high viz vest - and for the £1 they cost you may as well have one for everyone.   When we had a flat tyre (fortunately on a wide road where it could be repaired in relative safety) we both put vests on.   OH set to to replace the flat tyre, and I walked up the road to place the warning triangle.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wallace said:

With the setting on it also often gives advance notice of a change in limit too.

Mine warns of schools,pedestrian crossings,animal crossings and bends etc, it can be a bit of a pain.

1 minute ago, KNARF said:

Mine warns of schools,pedestrian crossings,animal crossings and bends etc, it can be a bit of a pain.

Is there not a way to disable them? 

I can disable the warning of changes in limits if I wanted to.

4 minutes ago, ValA said:

Whilst it might be 'law' to only have one vest, it doesn't make any sense to have to get your family out of a car and over the barriers in the event of a breakdown, or if you have to help out in case of an accident,  without them wearing a high viz vest - and for the £1 they cost you may as well have one for everyone.   When we had a flat tyre (fortunately on a wide road where it could be repaired in relative safety) we both put vests on.   OH set to to replace the flat tyre, and I walked up the road to place the warning triangle.  

The thing is when someone erroneously posts that something is law  that leads to other erroneous  statements of law such as, spare bulbs,spare glasses,first aid kit,spare wheel. illegal to tow with a spacesaver wheel fitted, placing a triangle in front of an immobilised vehicle meaning you must carry 3 triangles even said if you wear contact lenses you must carry spare spectacles,2 breathalysers etc.

A lot of the above are common sense and is normally pointed out when the official law is quoted.

23 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Is there not a way to disable them? 

I can disable the warning of changes in limits if I wanted to.

If I disable them it also disables the advance speed limit change warnings.

Let me say a massive thank you to everyone that's commented to provide the best advice for our trip.  

We have now booked the ferry from Dover to Calais.  We are staying in France for 10 days.  We'e looking to be staying in Paris for 4 nights, and wanting to now look for a site close enough to travel to and from Disney for 3 days.

Then we are looking to travel around France and stay at a few different sites. .. in for a penny. .. 🤣 ha

Any recommendations for sites would be again very much appreciated.

Thanks once again for taking the time to help amd comment.  Very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

James 

18 minutes ago, Jamesek said:

Let me say a massive thank you to everyone that's commented to provide the best advice for our trip.  

We have now booked the ferry from Dover to Calais.  We are staying in France for 10 days.  We'e looking to be staying in Paris for 4 nights, and wanting to now look for a site close enough to travel to and from Disney for 3 days.

Then we are looking to travel around France and stay at a few different sites. .. in for a penny. .. 🤣 ha

Any recommendations for sites would be again very much appreciated.

Thanks once again for taking the time to help amd comment.  Very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

James 

For Disneyland Paris most people choose to stay at Les Quat re Vents - http://www. caravaning-4vents. fr/campsite-france-seine-et-marne-paris-4-vents. html - which is near to DLP, and of a good standard. I wouldn't tour too far after that - perhaps back to the coast near to St Valery sur Somme and the lovely beaches nearby,  then a short drive back to Calais.

Edited by ValA
  • Like 1