Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jamesek

Planning our first trip to france via ferry

Recommended Posts

https://www. france-pub. com/forum/2012/04/14/la-priorite-a-droite‎-priority-to-the-right/

The above is from 2012 but gives clear examples of the rule with diagrams.   Worth reading.

The most simple tip to remember and use is, when you are driving and unsure slow down, look right, if there is a vehicle coming towards GIVE WAY !

I've only once been caught out with "priority to the right" and that was a few years ago in Remy de Provence. Fortunately I was able to stop in good time as a van turned left from a road on my right - and obviously straight in front of me.   No road markings, no signs.   Fine if you're a local but bit of a wake up in you're not! (I was on what I considered to be the "main road" too.)

I estimate that over the years I've driven around  100,000 plus miles in France so not exactly a novice.

Simple rule is if in doubt give way and take your time - allow space to stop if something unexpected happens.   Same as you would do here of course.  

Having said that, and referred people to the web site above (there will be others which may be more up to date but I've not looked) France is NOT a daunting place to drive,  In fact I detest returning to the UK after a spell in Europe.   I dread driving north from Dover and negotiating London and the M1.  

Always daunting when you have to face something new but there are millions of us who think nothing of driving abroad (actually prefer it) and you will soon be one of us.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, svimes said:

Though you may find yourself tripping up the trucks, who tend to go a bit faster than 90kph.

We set our cruise control to about 60mph (96. 5kph)  or little faster, which puts us with the trucks or a little faster. I suspect with Speedos over reading that we are only going about 92-94kph

If you are on a single carriageway with the national 90kph speed limit, be aware that there is no leeway. You can be prosecuted for exceeding the limit by as little as 1kph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, svimes said:

Though you may find yourself tripping up the trucks, who tend to go a bit faster than 90kph.

We set our cruise control to about 60mph (96. 5kph)  or little faster, which puts us with the trucks or a little faster. I suspect with Speedos over reading that we are only going about 92-94kph

Eye, I was thinking of setting the crooze to 96km/h and just taking it from there - definitely want to avoid the trucks and take account of over-reading

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chalky9 said:

If you are on a single carriageway with the national 90kph speed limit, be aware that there is no leeway. You can be prosecuted for exceeding the limit by as little as 1kph.

Good point.

My original response said "when on the peage" but I forgot to add that in after deleting it before posting!

On a single carriageway you are unlikely to be holding up trucks at 90kph.

Edited by svimes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wallace said:

I don't believe it's a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs in France, this being my point. It isn't here either.

The penalty for having a defective light may be higher in France meaning it could be cost effective to carry spares, but that is a different issue.

Here is an extract from the RAC advice.

“Spare bulbs - by law you’re also mandated to carry a spare bulb kit for your vehicle, as the French police deem it necessary to replace it there and then on the grounds of safety. For a few pounds to buy a kit, you could avoid unwanted attention and a fine.”

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, svimes said:

Good point.

My original response said "when on the peage" but I forgot to add that in after deleting it before posting!

On a single carriageway you are unlikely to be holding up trucks at 90kph.

I might be at 80km/h though, which is the posted speed for over 3500kg!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

I might be at 80km/h though, which is the posted speed for over 3500kg!

Doh! I'm not having a good day today. Another typo/mind fade on my part!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

Here is an extract from the RAC advice.

“Spare bulbs - by law you’re also mandated to carry a spare bulb kit for your vehicle, as the French police deem it necessary to replace it there and then on the grounds of safety. For a few pounds to buy a kit, you could avoid unwanted attention and a fine.”

John

Yes I have seen that. However it is an out of date misconception.

It's not an actual legal requirement to carry spare bulbs in France.

From the AA. (note no mention of them being compulsory but rather a recommendation - as it is in this country really)

 

 

 

France AA.PNG

France AA1.PNG

From Eurotunnel

 

 

 

France Eurotunnel 1.PNG

Edited by Wallace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Yes I have seen that. However it is an out of date misconception.

It's not an actual legal requirement to carry spare bulbs in France.

From the AA. (note no mention of them being compulsory but rather a recommendation - as it is in this country really)

NfpAv8gh.png

N65Pehoh.png

 

 

You could be right.  Misconceptions can develop into ‘fact’.  But every time I have investigated from many sources I keep on reading that it is a legal requirement.  Perhaps someone can enlighten us with actual fact.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

 Perhaps someone can enlighten us with actual fact.

 

John

I have supplied links to both the AA and Eurotunnel who confirm it's not a legal requirement. For some reason The RAC are out of date. Yes it's logical to carry them in case you are stopped with a light out and want to drive on, but it is a fact you cannot be fined solely for the offence of not carrying spare bulbs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two campsites which are close to the Ferry/Tunnel on your return are Chateau de Gandspette and La Bien Assise. Both are used to traffic leaving early or late and are only 20 minutes from Calais.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wallace said:

I have supplied links to both the AA and Eurotunnel who confirm it's not a legal requirement. For some reason The RAC are out of date. Yes it's logical to carry them in case you are stopped with a light out and want to drive on, but it is a fact you cannot be fined solely for the offence of not carrying spare bulbs.  

Should you drive a Disco 3 with the hi-intensity headlights you might find as I did your main dealer doesn't even stock replacement "tubes", they are believed to be a life of vehicle product but can be specially ordered and were over a £110. They do sell a replacement bulb kit for the vehicle, but it does not include these.

 Or my wife's  previous Mk 4 Golf, thats handbook states it is a dealer change out, as I understand it required the whole front moulding being unclipped.

I carry sets of all the replaceable bulbs, hoping the authorities would not expect those where it is not viable for the owner to replace them need be carried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Should you drive a Disco 3 with the hi-intensity headlights you might find as I did your main dealer doesn't even stock replacement "tubes", they are believed to be a life of vehicle product but can be specially ordered and were over a £110. They do sell a replacement bulb kit for the vehicle, but it does not include these.

 Or my wife's  previous Mk 4 Golf, thats handbook states it is a dealer change out, as I understand it required the whole front moulding being unclipped.

I carry sets of all the replaceable bulbs, hoping the authorities would not expect those where it is not viable for the owner to replace them need be carried.

There are so many cars nowadays where what was once a simple 5-10 minute job to swap a bulb has become a right fiddle or just plain impossible without sometimes significant dismantling or at the very least the removal of the complete light unit. Handbooks for cars with HID lights often refer to it being a 'dealer fit only' option.

And as you say it's not just 'prestige' models either, even shopping trolleys can suffer from this too.

I think it's called 'progress' :rolleyes:

Edited by Wallace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wallace said:

I have supplied links to both the AA and Eurotunnel who confirm it's not a legal requirement. For some reason The RAC are out of date. Yes it's logical to carry them in case you are stopped with a light out and want to drive on, but it is a fact you cannot be fined solely for the offence of not carrying spare bulbs.  

Understood, when I wrote my previous reply your pictures had not materialised.  Seems that RAC are well out of date.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the absolute removal of doubt, here is a link to the French Government website page concerning what you must have on/in your car and what they advise you to have : http://www. securite-routiere. gouv. fr/conseils-pour-une-route-plus-sure/conseils-pratiques/mon-vehicule/l-equipement

If you stick the relevant bits into Google Translate you get:

Compulsory equipment You must have in your vehicle: a retro-reflective vest and a pre-signaling triangle. Your vehicle must be registered. At the front, the license plate must be retroreflective and white in color. At the rear, it must be retro-reflective and white or yellow, accompanied by a lighting device to read at least 20 m.

Optional equipment Equip your vehicle with a spare wheel and necessary tools. Bring replacement bulbs and fuses. Plan for amicable reports*. If you have a GPS, make good use of it. It will allow you to plan your route and avoid misplacement situations, often sources of deconcentration driving. Do not program it while driving. Equip yourself with a flashlight. It will be useful in case of breakdown if it is night.

* The "Constat amiable" is the european form you fill out in the event of a collision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A survey of police in France discovered that a large proportion think that it is required by law,but it isn't.

If you are unable to change a bulb at the roadside,if the police think that due to the conditions it may present a danger to other users or if they just had a bad day, they can immobilise your vehicle till it is rectified.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, KNARF said:

A survey of police in France discovered that a large proportion think that it is required by law,but it isn't.

Do you have a link to that please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JCloughie said:

Understood, when I wrote my previous reply your pictures had not materialised.  

Indeed for some strange reason they wouldn't display just by inserting a link as I would normally do. I had to edit my post and 'upload' them to here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KNARF said:

One would hope that in the intervening 7 years since that was done they have taken action to rectify that.

Plus given any fine levied would obviously be illegal one would be able to challenge it and the amount paid reclaimed. (A bit of a hassle obviously but something I would certainly do).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Plus given any fine levied would obviously be illegal one would be able to challenge it and the amount paid reclaimed. (A bit of a hassle obviously but something I would certainly do).

The fine for driving with a defective light is perfectly legal,they couldn't fine you for not having replacement bulbs as that isn't illegal.

Edited by KNARF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ranger1700 said:

All good advice. The only thing I would add about the ferry is not to be rushed up the ramp. Leave plenty of room between yourself and the vehicle in front. The last thing that you want is to come to a stop half way up the ramp, and be faced with a hill start.

The other thing to consider on P&O is the Club Class. It does cost so very few people use it due to the short crossing, but you are in a spacious lounge waiter served with free coffee and biscuits and newspapers. Wife and I find it well worth it for the relaxation.

Tom

We too always pay that little bit extra for club class.   Nice and relaxing (no children allowed).  And totally agree on going up ramps, but this usually applies only to cars without trailers.   Cars with trailers (ie, caravans, folding campers), just go straight in, no ramps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, KNARF said:

The fine for driving with a defective light is perfectly legal,they couldn't fine you for not having replacement bulbs as that isn't illegal.

Indeed that is what I said as the legality of the fine for not having spare bulbs was what we were discussing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point I was trying to make was if you don't have spare bulbs and you argue the point they will just fine you for driving with a defective light.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JCloughie said:

 the French police deem it necessary to replace it there and then on the grounds of safety.

Not possible on many modern cars.    Some require the front bumper panel being pulled forward before the bulbs can be reached.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...