Sign in to follow this  
bobsbabes

Panicking Taps not

Hi Just been over to the caravan today and discovered that none of the taps were open and the water heater was not drained :( I'm gutted what chance do we have of no damage ?

7 minutes ago, bobsbabes said:

Hi Just been over to The caravan today as discovered that none of the taps were open and the water heater was not drained :( I'm gutted what chance do we have of no damage ?

Thats going to depend just how cold it got, if it froze theres a good chance of damage, if youre lucky you may have got away with it.

we have had snow and it was -12 the other night :(

The water inside my hen sheds froze and that only happens when its very cold, I'd try to drain it down while the weathers reasonable and check it out well before any main holiday.

It will depend if you are in one of the areas that's seen really low temperatures. Otherwise, the heater is in the van, with insulation around it, plus floor, wall and bunk sides around it, so my guess is you'll get away with it, as temps (here at least) have not remained below zero during the day

19 minutes ago, bobsbabes said:

Hi Just been over to the caravan today and discovered that none of the taps were open and the water heater was not drained :( I'm gutted what chance do we have of no damage ?

Given that Shawbury got down to minus 13 the other night, if you're anyhere around Shrewsbury I'd say it's certain the van froze solid. It's likely the fresh water boiler will have split, though the antifreeze in any Alde heating fluid should've seen the heating system OK. There's the possibility that the taps and shower control will have split as well as water pipes and/or the connectors come apart. The toilet flush tank, pump and piping might also be damaged.

Best to get back to it ASAP as it defrosts, otherwise the water could leak and cause internal damage to finishes and equipment. It needs draining as soon as it goes above freezing.

It was defrosting today and i could see no sign of water inside the caravan but I will check again tomorrow . Storage is shut for the night now :(

It might not leak unless the system is put under pressure by running the pump, so a lack of leaks whilst unpressurised  doesn't necessarily mean there isn't any damage.

12 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

It might not leak unless the system is put under pressure by running the pump, so a lack of leaks whilst unpressurised  doesn't necessarily mean there isn't any damage.

:(

Back in 1978, or thereabouts our next door neighbours moved to Ireland and asked us to look after the house for them. We never even thought about heating and freezing etc and went away to the in laws for several days over New Year.  During that time there was a severe freeze and when we got back I popped into next door to find the wall mounted boiler had burst and there was an ice sheet running down from the boiler and across the kitchen worktop. All the radiators had burst their core plugs and icicles ran from them into the frozen carpet. It was a real mess. I've felt guilty about it ever since.

32 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Back in 1978, or thereabouts our next door neighbours moved to Ireland and asked us to look after the house for them. We never even thought about heating and freezing etc and went away to the in laws for several days over New Year.   During that time there was a severe freeze and when we got back I popped into next door to find the wall mounted boiler had burst and there was an ice sheet running down from the boiler and across the kitchen worktop. All the radiators had burst their core plugs and icicles ran from them into the frozen carpet. It was a real mess. I've felt guilty about it ever since.

Be hell to pay when they get back. Though they might have forgotten you were looking after it by now.

We didn't fully drain our old van (novices). We suffered a broken shower tap and a broken bathroom tap. Kitchen survived I think.

Edited by svimes

I had to phone him to break the news, he flew back immediately and had it all put to rights with not a cross word. There again I can't know what he was actually thinking and saying in private. 

12 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

I had to phone him to break the news, he flew back immediately and had it all put to rights with not a cross word. There again I can't know what he was actually thinking and saying in private.  

Not easy, I'm sure.  

I had to break into our friends house after locking the key (along with cat I was supposed to feed) inside. A friendly neighbour helped me with tools once I'd persuaded him I wasn't a hoodlum

I once had to climb into a neighbours first floor bathroom through the window as their 4 year old boy had locked himself in there and they couldn't open the door from the landing.

There is only ONE way of finding out if everything froze up and that is to fully use ALL of the water related items and see what (if anything) leaks! All the conjecture in the world is exactly that, pure conjecture.  

You might have got away with it and you may not.  

Andy

You might find the pipes have split or pipe joints have popped . . My new MH has a automatic dump valve next to the combi boiler that opens at 4 degrees to drain to protect it .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Our Adria Coral Compact had an automatic dump valve back in 2008, they're a fairly standard feature on motorhome boiler systems.

21 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

There is only ONE way of finding out if everything froze up and that is to fully use ALL of the water related items and see what (if anything) leaks! All the conjecture in the world is exactly that, pure conjecture.  

You might have got away with it and you may not.  

Andy

The caravan is going back to the dealer on Sat for them to check it over . Hoping its all ok as we def drained it all down last time we used it ( and opened all the taps !! ) and we are away at the end of this month :(

Edited by bobsbabes

3 minutes ago, bobsbabes said:

The caravan is going back to the dealer on Sat for them to check it over . Hoping its all ok as we def drained it all down last time we used it ( and opened all the taps !! ) 

That’s not what you put in your original post!! “None of the taps were open and the water heater was not drained”

Why pay someone else to do what can so easily be done by yourself? 

Call me a cynic but what do you reckon the chances are of them NOT finding something wrong they can charge you extra for! 

Andy

7 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

That’s not what you put in your original post!! “None of the taps were open and the water heater was not drained”

Why pay someone else to do what can so easily be done by yourself? 

Call me a cynic but what do you reckon the chances are of them NOT finding something wrong they can charge you extra for! 

Andy

When I went to the caravan the taps weren't open and i assume that the heater not drained . ... It had been in to the dealers to have the kitchen worktop replaced . Hence why its going back . Fingers crossed it is fine 

What are you getting all worried about?

If, as you now advise us, you had indeed “drained everything down” and opened the taps then surely there would have been nothing left to freeze!  There would have been no reason for the dealer to put any water into the system when replacing a worktop.  

Andy

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

What are you getting all worried about?

If, as you now advise us, you had indeed “drained everything down” and opened the taps then surely there would have been nothing left to freeze!  There would have been no reason for the dealer to put any water into the system when replacing a worktop.  

Andy

not even to check that the tap that they had to remove still worked ? In which case then yes I am panicking over nothing :) thanks xx

Edited by bobsbabes

Topic closed at OPs request, however it is a reminder to us all