Sign in to follow this  
Lutz

AlKo - Electrically operated steadies

AlKo have announced that starting March they will be offering electrically operated steadies under the brand name Up4. The system does not, however include an automatic levelling feature. Presumably it will automatically cut off when the steadies hit the ground although there was no mention of this in the short press announcement that I read.

The complete system (less battery, of course) will weigh 17. 7kg and cost 1099€ on the home market. The remote control unit for their Ranger motor mover will be compatible with Up4 so one will only need one such unit.

1099€  :o Power drill with a socket on a stick will do for me.

Can't see them taking off in the UK, 17. 7 Kg is almost the entire user payload ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 12/13/2017 at 14:53, Borussia 1900 said:

1099€  :o Power drill with a socket on a stick will do for me.

I'll second that :unsure:

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

I'll second that :unsure:

and another

But what do the conventional steadies weigh and cost? Must each be something so not just a 1100€ more expensive and  an18 kg heavier van.

Whatever, I will not be in the queue as I like to "feel" the steadies are loaded as I like. Plus in my eyes its complicating things just for its own sake and at my age doing things physical is far better than not or one risks further losing the ability.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

AlKo have announced that starting March they will be offering electrically operated steadies under the brand name Up4. The system does not, however include an automatic levelling feature. Presumably it will automatically cut off when the steadies hit the ground although there was no mention of this in the short press announcement that I read.

The complete system (less battery, of course) will weigh 17. 7kg and cost 1099€ on the home market. The remote control unit for their Ranger motor mover will be compatible with Up4 so one will only need one such unit.

Not if van > 1. 8t

• Like 1

I cannot see the point, if it self levels it would be advantages to less able people, however, to the majority about as good as an Alko side jack.

• Like 2

Winding down the steadies is another of the tasks undertaken by my navigator/banks(wo)man/picnic maker/ideas person and General Manager.

If the Alko version can carry out the other tasks as well then it may be worth the initial outlay as the running costs must be very much less.

Bob

• Haha 2

I would think the total weight may go up, as a larger battery would be advisable.

11 hours ago, smino0_1 said:

I would think the total weight may go up, as a larger battery would be advisable.

Do you think that the energy spinning down the steadies and the modest loading of them would require any change in a battery? It is not that movers that do IMO much more work actually sap a lot of energy from the battery unless used hauling up a long incline.

The weight penalty is going I should think be in the drive motors but from the quoted weight of 18kgs the set is probably little  more than we already carry with the heavy duty steadies?

14 hours ago, smino0_1 said:

Standard corner steadies are around 14kg for four dependant on precise version, so extra weight is minimal. My cheapo cordless drill runs the steadies up and down several times on one charge, so the battery usage is not going to be great either. That just leaves the cost, ouch!

I suppose that for those of limited mobility, this would be helpful, and there will always be those who specify it because they can afford it, but for most its probably an over expensive gadget.

However, I think its good that it has appeared, as these things have a habit of gaining acceptance and ultimately becoming commonplace at a lower price.

E&P self levelling systems are fitted to the Buccaneer range of caravans and they are a real boon.   A normal 12v battery is used.

On 12/14/2017 at 13:36, chrisn7 said:

I suppose that for those of limited mobility, this would be helpful, and there will always be those who specify it because they can afford it, but for most its probably an over expensive gadget.

However, I think its good that it has appeared, as these things have a habit of gaining acceptance and ultimately becoming commonplace at a lower price.

Agree with that.   For those of us who don't have those limits, there is a real element of 'taking away' those bits that are part and parcel of the caravanning experience. My better half adamantly refuses to use a drill for the steadies; she always does them and genuinely enjoys winding up me and the steadies.   Often get comments like 'that looks hard work'!

Slightly off topic I think. We are told not to use our four legs to level our vans by winding them hard down to lift up the van. How do Bucaneer get away with it on their self levelers?.

36 minutes ago, Angel1 said:

Slightly off topic I think. We are told not to use our four legs to level our vans by winding them hard down to lift up the van. How do Bucaneer get away with it on their self levelers?.

One imagines that the load is borne by the chassis or otherwise spread differently to manual steadies.

edited to add. .. image shows the 'Up4' electric steadies attached to chassis rails at the rear. ..  they don't seem to be available in the U. K. and there seems to be two seperate systems.  Al-Ko Up4 and and Al-Ko ECS.

IMG_0167.JPG

Edited by happynomad
To add image

12 hours ago, Angel1 said:

The E&P system on the Buccaneers has  two jacks and four steadies, the jacks are mounted on one axle and they operate first levelling the van side to side, they can easily lift both wheels clear off the ground so easy to fix locks.

The front steadies are then lowered and lift the front of the van, much like you do with the jockey wheel, but they are not lifting as such they are rotating the van round the axle, then the rears go down and to finish they are all given an extra bit of pressure to tighten things up.

It works very well and there is a manual override for really tricky situations.

Ian

Edited by IanV8

I can think of a few advantages

1.   Should be load limiting so prevent people damaging their vans by too much pressure on the steadies.

2.   May be quicker

3.   For those of restricted mobility, strength etc.

4.   Load being taken on the chassis not on the van floor as some steadies are fixed.

5.   No hunting around for the steady head in the dark.

6.   Smirk on your face as you push a button instead of winding like crazy or reaching for the battery drill.

Disadvantage.

Weight ?

My Bank Balance. ?

Repetitive strain injury from pushing all those buttons, what with the stop start on the car, the motor mover, the smart phone to find south and van level.   

In truth, dependent on cost, they may well be appearing on a top of the range van near you soon.

Ive just read that ALKO have bought E&P levelling,probably explains why they are offering this system.

It would appear that this system isn't currently available for the UK market and doesn't appear on the Alko UK part of their website. The only price is given in Euros.

The acquisition of E&P in January has probably got a lot to do with this product.

http://www. alko-tech. com/en/news/2018/dexko-global-acquires-ep-hydraulics

Edited by Legal Eagle

This expensive product has got no more chance of success than a wheel lock costing £250.

• Like 1

I dare say in a few years time they will be standard fit and we will all wonder how we did without them.

After all car windows for example were all wind up/down and now they are electric,same goes for car seats,motor movers etc."progress" I suppose.

Ian

• Like 1

UP4, I saw a car registration number years ago    UP U 2

Instead of introducing bling. IMHO Alko should be spending their time  developing a decent spare wheel carrier.   Their current product is worse than useless.  

• Like 1

Only problem I have with the Al-Ko spare wheel carrier is the space it takes up in my garage, along with a brand new wheel & tyre, well 11 years old actually.

• Like 1