Decisions, Decisions !

Although I’ve got plenty time before our spring outing I’ve been pricing up for a new towbar to fit to my Mercedes CLS Shooting Brake.

My usual supplier PF Jones are asking for around £358 for the Witter bar with Quantum vertical attachment and dedicated electrics kit.

My local Mercedes have priced it at £1,502 

As I said decisions decisions !

My XF cost around £400 for the same kit from PF Jones and I found it perfectly fine, in fact the electrics were superior in quality to the official Jaguar kit which I sent back to them.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

12 minutes ago, The Coachman said:

Although I’ve got plenty time before our spring outing I’ve been pricing up for a new towbar to fit to my Mercedes CLS Shooting Brake.

My usual supplier PF Jones are asking for around £358 for the Witter bar with Quantum vertical attachment and dedicated electrics kit.

My XF cost around £400 for the same kit from PF Jones and I found it perfectly fine, in fact the electrics were superior in quality to the official Jaguar kit which I sent back to them.

Non main dealer installs will always be cheaper, even when a main dealer  farm the work out to the same firm whom you may end up choosing any way.

Just confirm any vehicle warranty remains intact.

It's a no brainer isn't it?

24 minutes ago, The Coachman said:

Your Mercedes dealer may be including the necessary upgrades to the cooling system that you'd get with a factory-fit towbar - it may not be a like-for-like comparison.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Yup PF Jones for me!

Now on my second tow bar from them including mobile fitting.

First one was detachable Witter for my  new 2014 Citroen Grand Picasso diesel just had a non detachable Brinks swan neck with dedicated electrics for my 2017 Seat Alhambra 130 bhp diesel £500.

Only moan is the fitting charge has gone up 100% in three years!!!

From £100 to £200

I see the Seat removable tow bar is quoted in the online brochure at £470 and in miniscule writing it states "extra parts required" and its not factory fitted! 

Good advice regarding the vehicle warranty.

Also, not all manufacturers software can be updated by third parties which means you can lose the full functionality of the manufacturers electronics and canbus facilities.  Check this too.  (some main dealers will do a software update following a third party/independent towbar fitting - subject to compatible hardware)

Also, ask your insurer if aftermarket non-OE equipment and/or reduced functionality carries any implications.

If you're not bothered about the above or they don't apply you can indeed save a lot of money.

Never had any insurance implications when fitting a towbar and none of them have been OEM.

A decent towbar company will probably do a better job than a main dealer (assuming the main dealer doesn't farm it out to the cheapest firm in the area).

But that also goes for servicing and repairs. A good local non main dealer will do a far better job at a fraction of the price. Like all these things, the challenge is finding the "good" local dealer!!!!

Edited by PandR

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

2 minutes ago, PandR said:

Never had any insurance implications when fitting a towbar and none of them have been OEM.

A decent towbar company will probably do a better job than a main dealer (assuming the main dealer doesn't farm it out to the cheapest firm in the area).

Nor me. But I have heard and read of people having warranty issues.

It’s the same with all “Main Dealers” nowadays.  They like to make out that by fitting anything not purchased from them will invalidate the warranty.

Recently on my Jaguar XF when I was getting all four doors replaced due to corrosion I asked for a small area of rust less than 5mm on the front wing to be repaired.  The Main Dealer was unwilling to repair it and sugggested a new wing which I agreed to but requested that the old wing be returned. On inspection it most certainly could have been repaired and would have lasted for some years.

All this was to comply with warranty.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

13 hours ago, CJ1149 said:

Also, ask your insurer if aftermarket non-OE equipment and/or reduced functionality carries any implications.

11 hours ago, PandR said:

Indeed, not a problem with most insurers. However, a few years ago I was refused a quote by one company (sorry can't remember which), on the grounds that the vehicle had been modified and "we do not cover modified vehicles". The modification?.......An dealer fit tow-bar on an ex-demo X-Trail. So, worth checking.

When i bought my used Mercedes ML the Merc dealer Quoted something similar to your{£1500} and told me they did not do retrofit towbars as i was leaving the Dealership a fitter approached me and said he had overheard the conversation and said that if you bought a new Merc they would fit the tow bar and tell you it was done at the factory he then directed me to the towbar company just around the corner that do fit  to new Merc cars so i whent to see them  and was quoted £400 fitted with Electrics it also included the upgrade to the cooling system done by guess e{Merc Dealer} came to the towbar company premises  so it was a no Brainer

Les

Edited by myone