Frozen up windscreen etc. this morning.

Was coldest night of the year last night so all car windows frozen up on the car stood on drive over night, tried my Tesco brand deicer and Morrisons Carplan sprays they were hopeless, what brand and supplier did you use and was it effective?

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a text this morning saying "Windows Frozen" I replied "Pour warm water over it" Heard nothing more, so 20 minutes later I texted "How is it going?" I got this answer "Think we nee

Simple warm water ( no hotter than blood heat). You need at least 2 litres, preferably 5, just slosh it on generously. Also leaves the windscreen slightly warm to keep it clear until the heater kick

Lidl this Thursday, half car covers four different sizes @ £4. 99 each. ..covers screen and side windows and probably rear as well. .. geoff

Simple warm water ( no hotter than blood heat). You need at least 2 litres, preferably 5, just slosh it on generously. Also leaves the windscreen slightly warm to keep it clear until the heater kicks in.

Lidl this Thursday, half car covers four different sizes @ £4. 99 each. ..covers screen and side windows and probably rear as well. ..

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Indulgence! Used the remote to put the Eberspacher diesel heater 10 minutes before we left the house them got in, started the engine and switched all the heaters on including the windscreen.

Previously in low temperatures, I'd go out an hour before we leave an put a 230V fan heater, set on 1kw, in the passenger footwell.

For screen wash, I top-up weekly with undiluted all-season type from mid-November onwards - it gradually strengthens the mixture ready for these sort of conditions - it's used diluted in the summer but at a higher strength than the container recommends.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Heated windscreen . .. the best option I have ever spec'd!

Had it now on a Skoda Yeti and my previous and current Volvo.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

Fan heater on a timer for me too.   My car has a coolant heater that produces warmth in the cabin after a mile. They are supposed to be really unreliable but I've been lucky since 2004. I hear clever people can get the thing to fire up before one gets in by messing with the car's ECU.   Screenwash; I have been using Tesco pink fluid but I can't find it any more. Back in the day I would use Armstrong Clearalex powder and a generous dose of meths. This before meths became a premium product and the price shot up to that of a decent whisky.

hawkaye :beardy:

Had heated windscreens for years and years - I'd be reluctant to buy a car that didn't have one.

I rember the Clearalex - best stuff there was keeping the screen clean plus meths to stop it freezing 

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I bought a full car cover in France a 2/3 years ago, to keep out the sun and dust. Put that over the car the last few nights and I just had to take it off to reveal no snow, ice or frost on the Windows or bodywork. Brilliant.  Only downside is folding it up and really needing two people to put back over the car, but it's worth it.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

When ordering the Passat Alltrack I decided to splash out on a parking heater.

Worth its weight in gold these cold mornings,switch on about half an hour before setting off,car all warm and windows clear.

Plus not setting off on a freezing cold engine with oil like treacle can only benefit engine life.

Ian

I had a text this morning saying "Windows Frozen"

I replied "Pour warm water over it"

Heard nothing more, so 20 minutes later I texted "How is it going?"

I got this answer "Think we need a new Laptop . . "

Cheers

Keith

2 hours ago, matelodave said:

I rember the Clearalex - best stuff there was keeping the screen clean plus meths to stop it freezing 

I too remember Clearalex and have to totally agree with you.

Ohn.

4 minutes ago, John19 said:

I too remember Clearalex and have to totally agree with you.

Ohn.

Rain-X is a modern version of Clearalex - but the washer additive version plays havoc with level sensors and fine spray washers fitted to many modern cars - don't use it it a VW Group vehicle, it won't be covered by warranty!

The version applied directly to the screen is just fine.

Edited by Black Grouse

Adding meths is just the same as using a better screenwash as that's what they use!

Don’t use any kind of spirit in VAG screenwash, the nozzles crumble to nothing!

55 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Don’t use any kind of spirit in VAG screenwash, the nozzles crumble to nothing!

I'm not wasting duty-paid spirits in screenwash!

But seriously, the VW Group screenwash does seem to be good stuff - and not expensive when diluted as recommended for summer.

I always feel a fan heater is a bit on the aggressive side so use an old hair drier bolted to a bit of ply. An hour or so and everything's clear.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

As one is not supposed to have the engine idle while stationary, but the screen has to be clear before moving off, a heated windscreen is not really an ideal solution because it takes longer to clear with a heated windscreen than it does with any of the conventional methods.

Edited by Lutz

I pop out 10 mins before i am meant to leave and just flick heated screens on and the heated seat for a toasty drive in to work.

For my wifes car we have the Tesco own brand stuff and find it does the job you just have to leave it a few minutes.

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

As one is not supposed to have the engine idle while stationary, but the screen has to be clear before moving off, a heated windscreen is not really an ideal solution because it takes longer to clear with a heated windscreen than it does with any of the conventional methods.

I clean the ice off with cold water and the heated screen keeps it from freezing again, so its used as well as, not instead of.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I use a Boots Advantage card to scrape windows. Always found cards, because they are thinner, scrape much better than actual scrapers. Downside is an extremely cold hand because it tends to get coated in the ice.  

Be Careful with car covers, unless the car is completely clean the movement of the cover in the wind etc. .. will cause fine scratches in the paint.  

4 hours ago, Lutz said:

A heated screen is far quicker than letting the car warm up while idling generally. Modern ones should have the ice melting within a few minutes. ..  However it doesnt melt the ice on the windows, headlights or mirrors etc. .. so still needs scraping

I just go back to bed.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

I had a electric  front heated windscreen 25 years ago and I don't know why more vehicles never have followed and they have become more popular .  

Makes sense if they fit a rear window heater makes as much sense to fit a front one as well .

I though we are suppose to be saving the planet but we still have to sit with engines running for ten minutes to clear the front windscreen .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .