Sign in to follow this  
Ray123

Buccaneer rooflight leaking?

43 minutes ago, AlanS said:

When we bought our last motorhome, an Autorail Savannah in 2015, all the roof lights had a plastic quadrant angle about 50mm high fitted across the leading edge of them to stop rain driving under the rooflight lip. Our previous motorhome and caravans never had this feature. Is it something only certain manufacturers are fitting then ?

Hi Alan, from my email discussions with Dometic the manufacturers of the Heki roof lights it appears that the older models do not have the forced ventilation aspect and are fitted with rubber seals, the newer forced ventilation roof lights do not have the seals to allow the air into the caravan.   Unfortunately Dometic also informed me that in certain circumstances water and small pieces of debris can enter the caravan, they were not too pleased when I suggested that this was a design fault.   It appears that Elddis are now fitting wind deflectors on some of their new vans. On a £32K van we should not have issues like this one.

Edited by Ray123
added text

On 12/13/2017 at 16:23, Ray123 said:

Many thanks Chrisn7, there are no seals on either of the roof lights front leading edge, I will take this up with Elddis who yet again have fobbed me off.

Have a look here for the seal, page 5

https://www. ltvforum. com/index. php?action=media;sa=item;in=136;asc

20 minutes ago, Ray123 said:

Hi Alan, from my email discussions with Dometic the manufacturers of the Heki roof lights it appears that the older models do not have the forced ventilation aspect and are fitted with rubber seals, the newer forced ventilation roof lights do not have the seals to allow the air into the caravan.   Unfortunately Dometic also informed me that in certain circumstances water and small pieces of debris can enter the caravan, they were not too pleased when I suggested that this was a design fault.   It appears that Elddis are now fitting wind deflectors on some of their new vans. On a £32K van we should not have issues like this one.

I agree, you shouldn't have this trouble irrespective of the cost of the caravan, as the owner on a more meagre budget wouldn't want this problem either.

I hope that our new caravan comes with a 'deflector' in front of the rooflights. I should have looked on the roof before we ordered it shouldn't I ! I think that as there is a potential for driving rain to come under the front lip if a deflector isn't fitted, I might get some PVC glazing angle and fit it myself with sealant as that was how our motorhome ones were and are fitted by AutoTrail. If you cannot sort it out with the dealer/manufacturer is it something you could fit yourself ?

Alan

13 hours ago, AlanS said:

I agree, you shouldn't have this trouble irrespective of the cost of the caravan, as the owner on a more meagre budget wouldn't want this problem either.

I hope that our new caravan comes with a 'deflector' in front of the rooflights. I should have looked on the roof before we ordered it shouldn't I ! I think that as there is a potential for driving rain to come under the front lip if a deflector isn't fitted, I might get some PVC glazing angle and fit it myself with sealant as that was how our motorhome ones were and are fitted by AutoTrail. If you cannot sort it out with the dealer/manufacturer is it something you could fit yourself ?

Alan

I can fit the wind deflectors myself however the best price I have found at present is £80 each, I will now looking at other options plastic angle etc.  

13 hours ago, chrisn7 said:

Many thanks for the info, we have an Heki 2 fitted, i will explore this site further.

8 hours ago, Ray123 said:

I can fit the wind deflectors myself however the best price I have found at present is £80 each, I will now looking at other options plastic angle etc.  

Ray

Fiamma Accessories has a rooflight wind deflector that can be cut to size - it has an aerofoil shape but is 120mm high on one edge, however the type we had on our van was only about 50mm high. It is called the universal deflector and lots of caravan outlets sell it on line for about the £20 mark plus P&P. Also if you can google PVC/Plastic extrusions you can find either 90 degree angle or scotia shape in 50mm x 50mm sizes. You would then need to cut to size and sika flex it to the roof just in front of the roof light.

Alan 

15 hours ago, AlanS said:

Ray

Fiamma Accessories has a rooflight wind deflector that can be cut to size - it has an aerofoil shape but is 120mm high on one edge, however the type we had on our van was only about 50mm high. It is called the universal deflector and lots of caravan outlets sell it on line for about the £20 mark plus P&P. Also if you can google PVC/Plastic extrusions you can find either 90 degree angle or scotia shape in 50mm x 50mm sizes. You would then need to cut to size and sika flex it to the roof just in front of the roof light.

Alan 

Many thanks Alan I will definately look at this option.

I need a new roof light for our 1990 buccaneer Elan 15. Can anyone help please .  The size is 480 mm square. 

:welcome:

Take the size and a photo into your nearest caravan accessories shop as there is a good chance it is a standard item. 

47 minutes ago, Buccdj said:

I need a new roof light for our 1990 buccaneer Elan 15. Can anyone help please .  The size is 480 mm square. 

Why not fit an Omnivent in its place to help with circulation of air.  Plenty of stock of the normal skylight at most dealers.