Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chalky9

"Which" sat-nav reviews - anyone read them?

Recommended Posts

I see that "Which" magazine has reviewed caravan/camper/truck-specific sat-navs in their December '17 issue. Has anyone read it? I'm not a "Which" subscriber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pay a £1 and you can have a trial run:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chalky9 said:

I see that "Which" magazine has reviewed caravan/camper/truck-specific sat-navs in their December '17 issue. Has anyone read it? I'm not a "Which" subscriber.

Local library have copies?  Mine do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beejay said:

Local library have copies?  Mine do.

Not in France!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a shufti but I'm not really all that interested as the car has one fitted and we've got a Garmin for the wife's car. What do you want to know?

All their "best buys" are either Garmin or TomTom  (26 of them) and there only appears to be one "camper" oriented one in the list - it's the Garmin 770 Camper but is close to the bottom of the best buy list. It all depends what features you want in a Sat Nav. It doesn't tell you how good it might be for route guidance with a caravan, although it does say you can put in vehicle dimensions.

 

Edited by matelodave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, matelodave said:

I've had a shufti but I'm not really all that interested as the car has one fitted and we've got a Garmin for the wife's car. What do you want to know?

All their "best buys" are either Garmin or TomTom  (26 of them) and there only appears to be one "camper" oriented one in the list - it's the Garmin 770 Camper but is close to the bottom of the best buy list. It all depends what features you want in a Sat Nav. It doesn't tell you how good it might be for route guidance with a caravan, although it does say you can put in vehicle dimensions.

 

How did the TomTom that covers all vehicles up to HGV do?

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dunno, as I haven't read them all and I dont intend to as I've already got GPS units.

As I said for only £1 you can have a one month trial with Which? and read them all yourself

Edited by matelodave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read all the reviews as a subscriber and there is no proper TT camping satnav however there is one for a vehicle and trailer.   The only camping option is the Garmin 770 Camper.   The TT 6250 allows you to input vehicle and trailer dimensions however you can then download POIs for campsites.  

My preference would be the TT6250 even at the higher price as the apparently the Garmin Camper has poor battery life, slow route re-calculations and voice recognition is poor.   We still have our "old" TT1005 Camper unit which is brilliant.

BTW overall the TT satnavs scored a lot higher than any other Satnav.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My car has a built-in satnav but the VW updates are eye-wateringly expensive and I've had to use my "customer goodwill" gestures on other things, so I'd come to terms with using an after-market satnav with free lifetime map updates.

Earlier this year, I'd budgeted for an Avtex Tourer One (Garmin) next spring but an unplanned necessary phone replacement gave the the idea to use a mid-price Android smartphone with CoPilot Caravan loaded which would have been half the price and given other facilities as well - but being one of the original Luddites I like to pre-plan routes using an up-to-date Road Atlas and my PC - problem with that plan is that CoPilot Caravan won't work in Windows and would be chargeable again if it did.

So my even cheaper plan now is to use Google Maps on both my PC and smartphone, free and regular map updates - I've coped caravanning now for best part of 4 decades using a Road Atlas, road signs, common-sense and reading approach directions for caravan sites. The only downside is not reflecting the lower speed limits when towing and their effect on journey times - but since Google Maps, VW satnav and a previous Snooper all under-estimate solo average speeds in uncongested traffic,  so just need to work out the fudge-factors when solo/towing, probably Google Maps times less 10% solo and plus 10% towing.

Edited by Black Grouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I have read all the reviews as a subscriber and there is no proper TT camping satnav however there is one for a vehicle and trailer.   The only camping option is the Garmin 770 Camper.   The TT 6250 allows you to input vehicle and trailer dimensions however you can then download POIs for campsites.  

My preference would be the TT6250 even at the higher price as the apparently the Garmin Camper has poor battery life, slow route re-calculations and voice recognition is poor.   We still have our "old" TT1005 Camper unit which is brilliant.

BTW overall the TT satnavs scored a lot higher than any other Satnav.

Don't know what you mean by TT but there is a 'proper' motorhome and caravan satnav - I have one

https://aguriworld. co. uk/index. php/aguri-motorhome-caravan-rv720-dvr-deluxe. html?gclid=CjwKCAiA07PRBRBJEiwAS20SILXzYHoOmzWteHkZ3uep75MmXZN6C-B5BwQPFTUT9qn7GSZxUTdAYhoC28QQAvD_BwE

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SamD said:

TT = TomTom.   Never heard of the Aguri Satnav.   Reviews on Amazon for the Rv 500 not too good.

Edited by Durbanite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Durbanite said:

TT = TomTom.

OK thanks but you went on to say 'The only camping option is the Garmin 770 Camper' so does that mean they did not even look at Aguri?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SamD said:

OK thanks but you went on to say 'The only camping option is the Garmin 770 Camper' so does that mean they did not even look at Aguri?

Not on their list anywhere.   I read the reviews for the RV520 on Amazon and based on that I would not buy one.   There are too few reviews for the RV720 to decide whether it is any better, but a Google should show opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Chalky9 said:

Not in France!

Desolé!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 770 Garmin camper is no better than a standard one. Even with my outfit entered at 40 feet long and 9 feet wide it still sends me down cart tracks. .......😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regards 'Which' magazine, I've been a subscriber for many years but after a recent cull of Direct Debits I decided to cancel Which. I know they claim to be independent and they do run some good consumer campaigns but the content available on the 'www' means that there is plenty of product information available elsewhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jetA1 said:

Regards 'Which' magazine, I've been a subscriber for many years but after a recent cull of Direct Debits I decided to cancel Which. I know they claim to be independent and they do run some good consumer campaigns but the content available on the 'www' means that there is plenty of product information available elsewhere.

I did the same but with the added reason of reading a few reviews which were significantly at odds with 'plenty of product information available elsewhere.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have the Aguri RV720  and think it's a fantastic bit of kit, used it for two seasons now and I for one really rate it, nice sized screen, excellent verbal hazard warning when towing (sharp bend ahead, steep incline etc.) and a pretty good dash cam built in as well, no map subscription with free lifetime map upgrades all done via wifi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...