Jump to content

2018 CMC booking process


Recommended Posts

Very impressed with the booking process this year.   My wife is no longer a teacher, so we weren't looking for school holidays which would have made it easier.

Three site bookings made by 8:08.   All serviced pitches too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I left it to 8. 30 very quick, although could not book Chatsworth House weekend? people are still block booking, about time they brought back deposits.

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

I left it to 8. 30 very quick, although could not book Chatsworth House weekend? people are still block booking, about time they brought back deposits.

Very quick and easy booking,impressive.

Don't agree with bringing back deposits,find it much better without.

Having said that though perhaps there may be a case for certain "honeypot" sites like Chatsworth where the block booking weekenders seem to rule.

Having been to Chatsworth on a couple of occasions,yes it is a very pleasant site but no better than some others and you don't want to visit the house every verse end.

Ian

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

I left it to 8. 30 very quick, although could not book Chatsworth House weekend? people are still block booking, about time they brought back deposits.

Here we go again. So peoples who can afford it will still block book what next?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife booked Rowntree Park (not all of it!) this morning with no problems.  This is usually our first trip off in the spring to make sure everything is working well and York city is a nice place to stay even if it's not far from where we live!  

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definately easier this year, booked 12 sites all in one slot without being thrown out!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

I left it to 8. 30 very quick, although could not book Chatsworth House weekend? people are still block booking, about time they brought back deposits.

Can you explain how charging deposits will stop people "block booking" for which I guess you mean booking multiple weekends at one or more sites.

Taking deposits on all bookings will actually impact detrimentally on more people than it will help, as only those that can afford to pay deposits will be able to book any sites in advance.

As the spontaneity of the caravaning holiday seems to have gone, perhaps you should be required to pay for your booking 4 weeks before you are due to go,  that way it will give the CMC more notice if you aren't going to turn up, and allow others to enjoy your cancellation, and if you book within 4 weeks then you pay when you book.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My solution to the block booking issue would be to limit people to, say,  three  weekends booked at a time.

i. e. short breaks, not weekends as part of a longer booking.  

Edited by Cheltenham Caravanner

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Club have stated on many occasions there should be NO Block Bookings, I have argued on the CC  Forum 'till I'm blue in the face that it DOES happen, the bookings that the posters on here that have many sites booked will not be taking them up, i can't be bothered to waste time, if I want to go somewhere I'll book in about a week before, if they are full, I'll use a CL, I am in total agreement with a deposit system of £25 per site  the same as the CCC Club, as I think those who have booked 12 Sites would think twice about shelling out £300   

Les

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

The Club have stated on many occasions there should be NO Block Bookings, I have argued on the CC  Forum 'till I'm blue in the face that it DOES happen, the bookings that the posters on here that have many sites booked will not be taking them up, i can't be bothered to waste time, if I want to go somewhere I'll book in about a week before, if they are full, I'll use a CL, I am in total agreement with a deposit system of £25 per site  the same as the CCC Club, as I think those who have booked 12 Sites would think twice about shelling out £300   

I don't think anyone can deny that some people will book every weekend they can in the hope that when the time comes they can then cherry pick which weekends they use.

However the argument is based on the perception by some that is is a wide scale problem, and others that it's really a non-event, those complaining are often the ones that can't book a particular specific period because the the weekends either side of their chosen  dates are taken up by "Block Bookers".

This is purely a perception without any evidence other than a booked up weekend, when you consider how many Club sites there are, and how many members the CMC have, if only a half of them booked weekends there wouldn't be enough pitches, so it correlates that the most popular sites will get booked up, not by Block Bookers but by different members over different weekends.

I am sure the CMC can pull stats and see cancellations by membership number and would take action against any prolific abusers of the system.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Waited till lunchtime.   All done without any fuss.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

Link to post
Share on other sites

Booked on at 08. 30 this morning! Booked all the sites we wanted for our preferred date.  

Only wanted 4 sites, the rest of our nights will be on CL’s or commercial sites, or abroad!

Caravan Club getting far too expensive!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/12/2017 at 15:24, Grandpa Steve said:

I don't think anyone can deny that some people will book every weekend they can in the hope that when the time comes they can then cherry pick which weekends they use.

However the argument is based on the perception by some that is is a wide scale problem, and others that it's really a non-event, those complaining are often the ones that can't book a particular specific period because the the weekends either side of their chosen  dates are taken up by "Block Bookers".

This is purely a perception without any evidence other than a booked up weekend, when you consider how many Club sites there are, and how many members the CMC have, if only a half of them booked weekends there wouldn't be enough pitches, so it correlates that the most popular sites will get booked up, not by Block Bookers but by different members over different weekends.

I am sure the CMC can pull stats and see cancellations by membership number and would take action against any prolific abusers of the system.

As an ex member and now an outsider looking in I think Block Booking is hyped up by members based upon sites been busy at weekends.

We go to commercial sites 4 holidays per year, 3 of 1 week and 1 of 2 weeks while the kids are still safely locked up at school.

It's very noticeable how busier sites get at weekends and empty again Sunday evening.

So I think for this reason people feel others block book which is in my opinion not the case, it's just the way the market is.

Edited by Simple Life
Link to post
Share on other sites

At least people who decide to "block book" can only reserve at one site for any given date. ....imagine the mayhem if people could reserve/pick more than one :angry:

Link to post
Share on other sites

We managed to book all our desired sites, in school holidays as my partner started working in education in Dec 2016,  we used CCC sites more last year so paid our deposits for guaranteed hardstanding pitches etc.  This year's bookings involve using more CMC sites the only site we couldn't book was Troutbeck but this is due to it being closed for refurb.  It seemed much easier this year.

I hear that Chatsworth CMC is a poplar site, thankfully it's not a place we wish to visit with our caravan,  hopefully last minute cancellations open up a selection of weekends for those members who are victims of the 'block booking brigade'.

 

 

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thensum said:

the only site we couldn't book was Troutbeck but this is due to it being closed for refurb.  

Arrrrrgh! Gutted! One of our favourite sites and a major part of our UK Touring plan. Nearly choked on my Shreddies when I read that it’s closed until 14th August! Not a fan of the tree covered sites like Coniston & Kendal and don’t do “non-facility” sites, so  may need to rethink our plans.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

Link to post
Share on other sites

there are certain things that attract folk to the CMC and one of things that attract us is the fact that we can book without deposits. In the past I have booked lots of sites when we have been touring, taking in 4 or 5 sites for a few days each. This year I have booked just 3 sites that we can't always get on  to because  of their popularity, BTW we booked them no trouble.   I shall book the rest as and when.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that was the great ' non-happening' wasn't it?

Not one moan about being kicked out, or sites fully booked, or the website crashing, or not being available.

I booked the two sites I needed (April and August) yesterday without any problems, the rest I book as I need.

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how many who have not been able to book on-line, due to site being booked have tried to call the site direct (if open at the time of booking) as I was under the impression that the CC keep so many pitches  free for telephone bookings.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

 

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

I wonder how many who have not been able to book on-line, due to site being booked have tried to call the site direct (if open at the time of booking) as I was under the impression that the CC keep so many pitches  free for telephone bookings.

One of the wardens told me last year that if the website shows full, don't assume that it is, always call the site direct.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Telephone bookings and for those that continue in the spirit of relaxed caravanning and just turn up on the day.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/12/2017 at 09:09, Glen and Les said:

Arrrrrgh! Gutted! One of our favourite sites and a major part of our UK Touring plan. Nearly choked on my Shreddies when I read that it’s closed until 14th August! Not a fan of the tree covered sites like Coniston & Kendal and don’t do “non-facility” sites, so  may need to rethink our plans.

Well at least you have loads of choice in the Lakes - on non CMC sites. I suggest Skelwith Fold, not cheap but in a lovely location, 40 mins walk to Ambleside, Drunken Duck pub 20 mins walk away.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...