Sign in to follow this  
Malc Edge

Buying a second hand camera from Japan

As the title says I would like to buy a second hand camera from a dealer in Japan.

The cost of the camera and postage is £479. 22 does anybody have any idea what the cost of import duty would be ?

would vat be also added ?

I have searched the internet and have been unable to find out what the cost will be.

Has any one bought an item from Japan and maybe give me some idea of what the cost could be ?

Thanks,   malc

I've imported an item from Japan which cost about £300 and the import duty was about £50 and had to be paid before they would deliver it to my door.  

Would it be 20% vat plus a fee to Royal Mail on delivery?

Edited by David Park

You will have to pay the VAT and any import duty. Plus maybe a handling charge by RM?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malc Edge said:

As the title says I would like to buy a second hand camera from a dealer in Japan.

The cost of the camera and postage is £479. 22 does anybody have any idea what the cost of import duty would be ?

would vat be also added ?

I have searched the internet and have been unable to find out what the cost will be.

Has any one bought an item from Japan and maybe give me some idea of what the cost could be ?

Thanks,   malc

Hi Malc. Pardon me asking but what is it about a Pre-owned camera that you feel the need to source one from Japan ?

Is it something really special ?

1 hour ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

Hi Malc. Pardon me asking but what is it about a Pre-owned camera that you feel the need to source one from Japan ?

Is it something really special ?

yes it needs to be a certain model it's what I use for work,the lab are set up to process olympus dont ask why !! I want an Olympus E5 body I have had one for years and it just keeps going however it will go wrong sometime it must and I wanted the same model. I am in no rush to buy so maybe one will appear on the Uk market but they hold thier price very well and the one in japan did not have a lot of shutter counts. I think I will not buy that as the 20% vat and other cost make it pricy although I saw this morning it had dropped £40. 00 in price. thanks malc

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

You will have to pay the VAT and any import duty. Plus maybe a handling charge by RM?

yes that is not going to make it a very good price then,willwait for a Uk one I think. malc

8 hours ago, Malc Edge said:

yes it needs to be a certain model it's what I use for work,the lab are set up to process olympus dont ask why !! I want an Olympus E5 body I have had one for years and it just keeps going however it will go wrong sometime it must and I wanted the same model. I am in no rush to buy so maybe one will appear on the Uk market but they hold thier price very well and the one in japan did not have a lot of shutter counts. I think I will not buy that as the 20% vat and other cost make it pricy although I saw this morning it had dropped £40. 00 in price. thanks malc

You actually pay any duty due and then VAT on the total price, i. e. you are paying tax on a tax. VAT will also be due on any handling charges.

Sign in to follow this