Bailey Annual Service Record

We have a Pegasus II Genoa and I was looking at the annual service record book, in the service record the services are done by miles or by year, is there a list available of what is done at the specified service mileage/date so you can see what you are paying for and to make sure that nothing has been skipped? or is it a secret like trying to get a wiring diagram?

You can't tell how many miles a caravan has covered as it has no means of registering it, though you can make a rough estimate, especially if you've owned it from new. Even then it could've been transported hundreds of miles to the dealer on a flat bed truck and incurred no miles, or as the 'unlucky' tail end Charlie dragged on the hook at the back of the same truck. 

There is no variable service schedule for caravans, it's the same every year, more or less, though there are some things like the age of Alde fluid, age of gas hoses,  age of tyres that are checked and may require replacing at specified intervals.

The contents of a caravan service are dependent on what the servicing agent wants to include, though if they're a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme (and most are) the contents are proscribed and documented by them. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

23 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

You can't tell how many miles a caravan has covered as it has no means of registering it, though you can make a rough estimate, especially if you've owned it from new. Even then it could've been transported hundreds of miles to the dealer on a flat bed truck and incurred no miles, or as the 'unlucky' tail end Charlie dragged on the hook at the back of the same truck.  

There is no variable service schedule for caravans, it's the same every year, more or less, though there are some things like the age of Alde fluid, age of gas hoses,  age of tyres that are checked and may require replacing at specified intervals.

The contents of a caravan service are dependent on what the servicing agent wants to include, though if they're a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme (and most are) the contents are proscribed and documented by them.  

If you have the Phantom tracker fitted to the caravan you can get a very good idea of the mileage travelled by the caravan.

54 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

If you have the Phantom tracker fitted to the caravan you can get a very good idea of the mileage travelled by the caravan.

I wasn't particularly interested about the mileage, it was just what is needed at a particular service interval as the annual service record goes in years or mileage.

If you look at a car annual service record you have light service like oils and filter change and a few checks and you have heavy services where things are changed as lifed components.

I was just looking for a list of at what an authorised Bailey (year dependant) service would check/change/service. I have already fitted new tyres as there was some small cracks in the sidewalls.

I would have thought that an authorised dealer would have to work to a specified tick sheet supplied by a manufacturer to enable continuity of warranty.

If you look on the AWS website under the FAQS you can down load a copy of the checklist, this will show you what NCC thinks should be checked but if you have extra items you can always discuss with your dealer.  

One thing that needs to be done if you have a caravan with Alde heating that is over 2 years old is a heating fluid change, if you don't the corrosion inhibitors in the fluid gradually loose potency abd you could end up with a corroded boiler. If you are purchasing a caravan older than 2 years if age check, before parting with your money the fluid gas been changed, and get the fact in writing.

Why manufacturers continue to use 2 year rather than 5 year fluid baffles me,  apart from it is an easy earner for dealers.

Note that with Bailey to maintain the 6/10 year body warranty it is necessary to have or have had all annual services done within +/- one month of the anniversary of the original date of sale - NOT the anniversary of any subsequent sale or of when you bought it.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

• 2 weeks later...

We have just received a letter from the supplier of our 9 year old van (new to us) telling us that the twelve month service is almost due. On checking our document folder and looking at the service record, it has none, zilch nothing at all. From new it appears never to have been serviced. Would it have made any difference at point of purchase if we had seen the service book. Come to think of it, how come the dealer did not fill it in when it was "serviced" before we collected it. I don't really know is the honest answer, we love our Bailey. What would you have done dear reader.

I suppose after 9 years we should have it serviced at the main dealer for safety reasons. Or would a listed mobile caravan mechanic be good enough.   Any one used one of these guys.

Thanks.

I suspect your supplying dealer is just sending you a reminder based on their record of your van's last service, presumably when you purchased it.

I believe that whatever it's service records your van would have been out of warranty when you purchased it, so you don't need to have concerns about keeping it serviced within Bailey's warranty requirements.

Having said that it makes sense to have it serviced annually to ensure gas, electrics, brakes etc are in the best possible condition. Most dealers and a lot of mobile guys are members of the Approved Workshop Scheme and have to work to their standards. A dealer tends to be more expensive as you're paying for buildings etc, whilst an AWS mobile guy tends to be cheaper but should be just as efficient at servicing. 

On 06/12/2017 at 21:03, Steamdrivenandy said:

I suspect your supplying dealer is just sending you a reminder based on their record of your van's last service, presumably when you purchased it.

I believe that whatever it's service records your van would have been out of warranty when you purchased it, so you don't need to have concerns about keeping it serviced within Bailey's warranty requirements.

Having said that it makes sense to have it serviced annually to ensure gas, electrics, brakes etc are in the best possible condition. Most dealers and a lot of mobile guys are members of the Approved Workshop Scheme and have to work to their standards. A dealer tends to be more expensive as you're paying for buildings etc, whilst an AWS mobile guy tends to be cheaper but should be just as efficient at servicing.  

Thank you kindly for your response.   As you say,  a mobile mechanic may be the way to go.   We have time over the winter to decide, as our van is in storage now.

One of the benefits of using a mobile service is that you can watch what they do and ensure nothing's missed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi happy new year,  I use a mobile caravan engineer to service my Pegasus 646. I decided to do this as my local  dealer carried out work without authorisation, this coupled with no damp report! I have my caravan serviced at my storage yard and can watch everything being done,  point out any niggles and also glean information about potential problems that dealers might not pass on. With regards to the warranty, the first time I used the mobile engineer he found damp in the rear of the caravan and pointed out that if I removed the trays in the front lockers he would be able to to check for damp there. When I removed the trays the smell was all the proof I needed. I contacted Bailey and they asked me to take the caravan to an approved repair agent with the service book. So far the caravan is still dry. I hope this helps.