Sign in to follow this  
flashgordon

Searching for a bargain

I found myself in the market for a lightweight tripod as humping what appears to be the superstructure from the Tirpitz about with me was getting beyond a joke.

I narrowed the field down and decided that it didn't have to be a brand new item as a used item would suffice and save me a bit of brass into the bargain. On browsing the ebay and online auction sites I was a bit shocked at the prices they were eventually selling for, but I found a good example and "watched" it eventually placing a bid with an upper bid entered onto the system, I managed to resist the temptation to watch the final minutes and was a little disappointed to be £75 off the final winning bid, I watched a few more and marveled at how close to the MRRP they achieved.

I finally googled the item and found brand new versions being sold for just £50 more than the used ones, I thought I may as well go ahead and bite the bullet and get a new one complete with its guaranty and all about the same price on the big 4 photographic sites when I decided to check out my local independent dealer, I am so glad I let my fingers do the walking, as I found it advertised at nearly £90 less than the big boys and cheaper than most of the used ones on Ebay, and to put the top hat on the deal the manufacturer was giving a free head away (worth £120) with the model I wanted, and an extra 3 years warranty.

I suppose its a bit like buying a caravan, the big boys dominate the headlines but your local dealer can make you really happy.

Selling photo equipment can be quite ridiculous. ...people seem to over bid to the point of matching rrp sometimes.

Were  it not for the loss of 14% selling and eBay fees I would do it more often. I’ve just px a camera at a local photo store for only a few pounds less than the eBay price after fees!

I have several Manfrotto tripods, some really heavy studio jobbies, but these days they stay at home for the same reason as you mention.  In fact I use monopod most times now. ..I even converted the wife over to using one, which has 3 outrigger feet to help with stability!

I tend to use  http://www. camerapricebuster. co. uk/  website to shop around for best prices.

Edited by ericfield

It's always worth having a look at Wex - not many people realise that that also do used equipment as well.

Bass and Bligh in Harrogate also do quite a bit of used kit - mainly cameras/bodies and lenses - but sadly I don't think they have a web site any more but they do indicate that they are on Camerapricbuster. Knowing them they are probably on social media as well but I cannot confirm as I am a stoic non-user!

Sign in to follow this