A further sad tale.

On 24/11/2017 at 12:17, ancell said:

The photo of one post stub shows evidence of the "hot spanner" a favourite tool of travelling professionals I am surprised they only took one caravan.

Perhaps they were disturbed?

One six year old ? I thought the same they was lucky only one stolen for the effort and we'll tooled up ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

9 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

How on earth can you smuggle a darn great twin axle caravan to Oz or NZ. Europe I understand via ferry/tunnel (maybe a good reason for registering vans), but for the antipodes they need to be loaded on a freighter and even in a container they'd need paperwork? 

The prestige cars go out in containers when they are stolen .

http://www. dailymail. co. uk/news/article-2801065/gone-sixty-minutes-criminal-gangs-stealing-prestige-vehicles-wealthy-homes-exporting-hour. html

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

3 hours ago, KNARF said:

1200 per annum stolen is app 6% of the annual sales figures!

BUT its not 6% of the total number of touring caravans!

Its about . 25% of the total!

Now if the bulk of annual thefts were of caravans bought in that year then you would see sites for travellers get a lot of very unwelcome attention from our men/women in blue!

Meanwhile insurance discounts show the way to improve your chances of keeping your caravan

1 keep it in a CaSSOA gold site 

2 fit an Alko wheel lock-highest discount I have been quoted

3 fit a hitch lock

4 switch on your alarm

At least that way you have made your best effort.

But if they want your caravan nothing will stop them so do not keep anything of sentimental value in your caravan remember the windows are made of plastic!

It still means a heck of a lot of new sales are replacements for stolen vans, given that I doubt many 'old' vans are stolen and most insurance provide new for old cover up to a certain age. Then of course accident damaged and written off ones add to that figure. It would be interesting to know from a dealer what sort of percentage sales they see like that.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

4 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

It still means a heck of a lot of new sales are replacements for stolen vans, given that I doubt many 'old' vans are stolen and most insurance provide new for old cover up to a certain age. Then of course accident damaged and written off ones add to that figure. It would be interesting to know from a dealer what sort of percentage sales they see like that.

It would be very useful to know detailed facts about caravan thefts in the UK.

They must be well known to the insurance companies since they pay out £££ millions per annum for stolen vans.

But no facts are known to us-the owners!!

We can only infer from insurance discounts for CaSSOA storage wheel locks etc what steps we can take to minimise the chances of theft.

On 11/28/2017 at 17:15, Joeblogs said:

would a caravan fit? as the door opening height even on a high cube 40' container is only 2. 59m  and my Pegasus overall height is 2. 63m, unless they go as roll on roll off shipping cargo! 

I guess the image below answers your question

Caravan in container.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

57 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I guess the image below answers your question

Caravan in container.jpg

Wow thats tight; the max door opening on a shipping container is 2. 43m wide and the Pegasus is 2. 28m wide (15mm clearance) thats the thickness of a pencil either side, the max door opening height is 2. 59 and the Pegasus overall external height is 2. 63, so remove the aerial and gas flue and let the tyres down a tad and your in.  

I just hope that's not my caravan !

Have shipped old width single axles. .in one case with car as well but these wider beasts would have fooled our warehouse staff.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 14:00, Steamdrivenandy said:

How on earth can you smuggle a darn great twin axle caravan to Oz or NZ. Europe I understand via ferry/tunnel (maybe a good reason for registering vans), but for the antipodes they need to be loaded on a freighter and even in a container they'd need paperwork? 

Yes, but neither the freight companies, nor border controls actually care who owns the container contents. They are just interested in whether the contents are legal and if duty is payable! The paperwork will simply show that a caravan is going from one import/export agent to another no link back to real owner or thief.

The Bill of Lading should contain the name of the consignee and consignor. ...both of which could be fictitious but at other end you will need evidence of ownership and your copy of the B/L,and evidence of freight paid costs.

geoff

4 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

The Bill of Lading should contain the name of the consignee and consignor. ...both of which could be fictitious but at other end you will need evidence of ownership and your copy of the B/L,and evidence of freight paid costs.

geoff

That doesn't appear to be a problem with all the stolen cars that are exported

Some years back one of our drivers was stopped on the M62 with a container onboard. ..there were two Mercs inside,destination NIgeria. ..documents showing consignor were proven duff but oddly enough we believe that neither vehicle was ever claimed. ..perhaps the real owners had already been paid out!

geoff

4 hours ago, shipbroker said:

Some years back one of our drivers was stopped on the M62 with a container onboard. .. there were two Mercs inside,destination NIgeria. . .documents showing consignor were proven duff but oddly enough we believe that neither vehicle was ever claimed. ..perhaps the real owners had already been paid out!

geoff

Seem to remember a piece on the TV some time ago where the Tracker people flew a helicopter over the main roads in and out of Lagos and their equipment registered over 100 stolen vehicles on the roads below during a one hour flight!

6 hours ago, shipbroker said:

geoff

I would have thought anywhere east of Poland or anywhere in Africa evidence is merely a matter of providing the officials with cash!!!

At least that was my experience of British Leyland export trucking several years ago.

Perhaps they are less corrupt these days?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ancell said:

I would have thought anywhere east of Poland or anywhere in Africa evidence is merely a matter of providing the officials with cash!!!

At least that was my experience of British Leyland export trucking several years ago.

Perhaps they are less corrupt these days?

Would it be unkind of me to suggest that they are not ??

• Like 1

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

21 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

Would it be unkind of me to suggest that they are not ??

I took a trip to the Polish border recently from Berlin I did not bother waiting in the queue to cross as it was several miles long most vehicles were transporters carrying cars and a few caravans-guess what? not a single transported vehicle I saw had a complete readable registration plate!

Similarly I worked in the Knocked Down export section of Leyland trucks for several months many years ago exporting to several African nations corruption was endemic!

eg got a fax from our Nigerian rep asking for KD packing cases-for free of course-as his pals were using them as holiday homes!!

I have relatives living in Zimbabwe Kenya and South Africa-you will not get anything done in these nations without bribery and corruption.

In most cases its quite understandable as officials are seldom paid and in the case of Zim-never paid!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ancell said:

I took a trip to the Polish border recently from Berlin I did not bother waiting in the queue to cross as it was several miles long most vehicles were transporters carrying cars and a few caravans-guess what? not a single transported vehicle I saw had a complete readable registration plate!

Similarly I worked in the Knocked Down export section of Leyland trucks for several months many years ago exporting to several African nations corruption was endemic!

eg got a fax from our Nigerian rep asking for KD packing cases-for free of course-as his pals were using them as holiday homes!!

I have relatives living in Zimbabwe Kenya and South Africa-you will not get anything done in these nations without bribery and corruption.

In most cases its quite understandable as officials are seldom paid and in the case of Zim-never paid!

I've even had border passport control asking me for a backhander and that was as a tourist (Africa).  Sadly it's a way of life and even more tragic, for many, the only way to live.

Corruption is a nasty word.   

How many reading this have taken cash payment for services provided?  How many have never contributed to our taxation system as adults?  How many of those who accept "cash payment" do not take advantage of public services including health care? 

Maybe the theft of a bit of metal on wheels, whist not to be condoned, is hardly worse than someone living in a developed country and contributing little if anything.

Ok  Not perhaps a direct comparison but I'm sure you'll get my drift.

Corruption is cheating is it not?.  :ph34r:

Apologies for the departure off topic.  

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

1 hour ago, ancell said:

Zimbabwe is a beautiful country as I spent may years there and travelled all over the country, but as you say the police supplement their wages by having road blocks on all the main roads and no matter what you get a "fine" and no receipt.

On 12/1/2017 at 09:46, Durbanite said:

Zimbabwe is a beautiful country as I spent may years there and travelled all over the country, but as you say the police supplement their wages by having road blocks on all the main roads and no matter what you get a "fine" and no receipt.

Would agree with it being a beautiful country, luckily I was there back in the days of UDI so no problem with the police in those days!

13 hours ago, exkiaman said:

Would agree with it being a beautiful country, luckily I was there back in the days of UDI so no problem with the police in those days!

Yep I was in the British South Africa Police at the time, not to be confused with the South African Police in South Africa who were another story.    :D

7 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Yep I was in the British South Africa Police at the time, not to be confused with the South African Police in South Africa who were another story.    :D

I used to travel up from Joburg to Bulawayo every other week through Beit Bridge and used to bring various bits up for your boys who were stationed at the bridge!

• 6 months later...
On 01/12/2017 at 08:09, ancell said:

It's also quite common to see unreadable plates on cars on transporters in the UK. Because ANPR can pick them up as untaxed etc when they don't need to be. Never noticed that?