• Announcements

• BenF

Forum upgrade   12/10/17

Hi everyone, As you're probably aware, we've been in the process of upgrading the Caravan Talk forum software for a while. I can now confirm that the software has been upgraded and we're fully up to date. Please note that this new software is quite different in appearance and function, so may require a bit of relearning. We are in the process of refining the look, features and experience to make it a bit better and more familiar. If you spot any issues please let us know in the feedback forum. Unfortunately any posts between Monday morning and now have been lost. This is due to when the database snapshot was taken for the upgrade, this may also affect new members since then. We do apologise for this, but we have tried to keep disruption to a minimum. We are already aware and working on the following issues: PayPal payment issues for CT Supporters Forum design, lack of CT branding including colours Temporary loss of reviews databases Navigation bar needs refining We will keep this list up to date, so please check here before posting new updates, or to keep on tabs of our progress. The software was upgraded in order to provide you with a more secure, reliable, faster experience, whilst providing us with more tools to improve the features and options for the forum. Thank you for your continued support. Ben and the CT Team
MrsKT

Help!

Hi, complete caravan novice and newbie here so please excuse me. We inherited a lovely compass illusion 490/4 from some friends who were buying a new one. We have it on a local site at the moment but I want to bring it home for the winter. The issue is we have just swapped our cars and now have a Peugeot 2008 1. 6 100bhp and I don't know whether we can legally tow the caravan with this. I've  tried to search online but am finding conflicting information and the jargon quite confusing.  

According to one site, the 'mass in running order' of our can is 970kg, and the Maximum allowable weight is 1270 kgs.  

On the car info, the Web says it can tow up to 1270 (max towing weight braked). 

Then I've read about an 85% weight ratio- would that be the mass in running order figure of 970 for the van against the kerb weight of the car? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

The 85% ratio is advisory for inexperienced towers and it shouldn't be an issue if you're towing a short distance.

Check the car's plated Gross Train Weight and Gross Vehicle Weight, that will give you the legal limits for your car and anything it's towing. On some French cars the specified towing limit doesn't match the difference between GTW and GVW, so as a Towing Limit isn't legally enforceable, it's best to use the plated weights, which are.

No excuses needed for being a novice/newbie - we all were once!

It would help to know the maximum weight of the caravan, called its Maximum Technically Permitted Laden Mass (MTPLM) which should be on the VIN plate, probably by the door of the caravan - it'll be the highest figure there.

You refer to the MIRO of your "can", is that meant to be "car" or "van"?  Makes quite a difference!

10 hours ago, Stevan said:

You refer to the MIRO of your "can", is that meant to be "car" or "van"?  Makes quite a difference!

Haha, it was supposed to be van 😂

10 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

The 85% ratio is advisory for inexperienced towers and it shouldn't be an issue if you're towing a short distance.

Check the car's plated Gross Train Weight and Gross Vehicle Weight, that will give you the legal limits for your car and anything it's towing. On some French cars the specified towing limit doesn't match the difference between GTW and GVW, so as a Towing Limit isn't legally enforceable, it's best to use the plated weights, which are.

Thanks, I  will check that out :)

Right, from my cars handbook I've attached a picture with info on towing. Yo be honest all the abbreviations don't make much sense to me.

The MAW of the van from the VIN is 1270kg.

So am I right in thinking the van is too heavy for the car?

2017-11-19 13.22.39.jpg

47 minutes ago, MrsKT said:

Right, from my cars handbook I've attached a picture with info on towing. Yo be honest all the abbreviations don't make much sense to me.

The MAW of the van from the VIN is 1270kg.

So am I right in thinking the van is too heavy for the car?

2017-11-19 13.22.39.jpg

Having difficulty reading sideways and because you've circled what I assume are two different models. An upright picture of the car's actual weight plate would be better.

Anyway I've reverted to the Peugeot website where it says that a current 1.6 100PS 2008 the Gross Vehicle Weight i.e the maximum a loaded car can legally weigh, is 1705kg and the Gross Train Weight i.e the maximum weight of loaded car and loaded trailer together is 2655kg. The difference between the two figures is 950kg. This means that if your car is loaded to it's GVW (1705kg) you can only pull 950kg.

However Peugeot have also said that the car can pull up to 1270kg, which on the face of it is contradictory. What it actually means is that the car can pull up to 1270kg but mustn't exceed the GTW of 2655kg. So if the car is pulling 1270kg you must ensure that the car doesn't weigh more than 1340kg (1705kg minus 365kg). Given that the car's Mass in Service is 1330kg there really won't be any way that it can operate legally in such circumstances unless it's loaded to whatever Peugeot use as load to achieve the MIS figure. My guess is that it's based on driver only, no passengers and no load whatsoever.

Of course you can reduce your caravan's load so that it doesn't weigh it's MTPLM and that will mean you can put more weight in the car. If you run your caravan totally empty and it's MIRO is 970kg, then you car can weigh up to 1685kg and still be legal.     

I believe SDA has summarised it correctly if your Peugeot is the model in the column furthest to the right in your circle in the picture.

If it's the other one then you basically can't tow the caravan as it weighs more empty than is allowed (820kg)