Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • BenF

      Forum upgrade   12/10/17

      Hi everyone, As you're probably aware, we've been in the process of upgrading the Caravan Talk forum software for a while. I can now confirm that the software has been upgraded and we're fully up to date. Please note that this new software is quite different in appearance and function, so may require a bit of relearning. We are in the process of refining the look, features and experience to make it a bit better and more familiar. If you spot any issues please let us know in the feedback forum. Unfortunately any posts between Monday morning and now have been lost. This is due to when the database snapshot was taken for the upgrade, this may also affect new members since then. We do apologise for this, but we have tried to keep disruption to a minimum. We are already aware and working on the following issues: PayPal payment issues for CT Supporters Forum design, lack of CT branding including colours Temporary loss of reviews databases Navigation bar needs refining We will keep this list up to date, so please check here before posting new updates, or to keep on tabs of our progress. The software was upgraded in order to provide you with a more secure, reliable, faster experience, whilst providing us with more tools to improve the features and options for the forum. Thank you for your continued support. Ben and the CT Team
Dougb

Unicorn 4 Pamplona has arrived

Recommended Posts

Well today is the day, collecting Caravan this morning Paul from Tourershine sealed the caravan yesterday it looked amazing. You cannot believe the difference another new pampalona was next to my caravan whilst it looked ok, mine was shining and had a high gloss finish thank you Paul. I also took the opportunity to check the external mains socket (which now closes with a 13 amp plug inserted) and the new mains hookup socket on the offside really pleased with the results.

regards

Doug

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Silverback said:

This is the actual plug, German made, seems good quality and doesn't have the addition Euro two pin flap at the back.   Haven't tried it in the actual socket due to not having the caravan yet and can't see me getting to the dealers before Christmas but if it works and reduces some of the cable protrusion great,  but if not . . no worries ;)   http://www. mennekes. co. uk/index. php?id=products

02.thumb.jpg.56e50ef6acd93adc420167a867b14711.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Looks good, any chance of opening it up and taking a picture of the connections?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Arnie said:

Looks good, any chance of opening it up and taking a picture of the connections?

IMG_20171128_175916043.thumb.jpg.d9f742e4897f680abb0a2cb1b521d090.jpg

IMG_20171128_175925997.jpg

IMG_20171128_180017559.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Silverback said:

IMG_20171128_175916043.thumb.jpg.d9f742e4897f680abb0a2cb1b521d090.jpg

IMG_20171128_175925997.jpg

IMG_20171128_180017559.jpg

Thanks . . looks  great, thats what I was expecting in mine, but it isn’t, yours looks so much better.

Edited by Arnie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dougb said:

Well today is the day, collecting Caravan this morning Paul from Tourershine sealed the caravan yesterday it looked amazing. You cannot believe the difference another new pampalona was next to my caravan whilst it looked ok, mine was shining and had a high gloss finish thank you Paul.  

regards

Doug

You're welcome.  

 

dealership.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arnie hubby wired Kampa plugs up today he said it’s the worst he’s ever seen to wire up in all the years he’d worked in the electrical industry & that’s some year lol, he used terminals crimped to the wires then fitted in the plug he said the earth cable was the easiest to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Glynnis said:

Arnie hubby wired Kampa plugs up today he said it’s the worst he’s ever seen to wire up in all the years he’d worked in the electrical industry & that’s some year lol, he used terminals crimped to the wires then fitted in the plug he said the earth cable was the easiest to do.

Totally agree, I was a service engineer with cash registers for 30yrs, both electrical mechanical and electronic. So I know my way around electricity. He is right, the Earth is the easiest.

i bought small washers and had to grind them into an oval to make them fit, I also soldered the end of the cables and bent them into a U shape. All in all it took the best part of 45 mins to wire a plug 😟.

the connector that silverback bought looks a good one .

DCEA0311-6DF8-4AE7-B53D-68AD3A44285A.jpeg

Edited by Arnie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2017 at 21:03, Silverback said:

Happy Days ! 

Little confused about replacing the Outer BBQ gas point and do you know what product is being used by Tourershine ?

 

Not replacing the barbaque point it’s the mains external 240 volt socket and the mains hook up point.

regards

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2017 at 21:50, Dougb said:

It’s not not the BBQ  point that’s being changed its the external electrical socket, the standard socket it very close to the surface and when you plug into it the flap does not close and sticks out. The new socket completely fastens down.

Tourershine use their own blend of products which they closely guard and do not let anyone know what they are.

regards

Doug

 

Thanks for the info . . above.   When you mentioned Bullfinch on your opening post, I mistakenly took it as a Bullfinch gas point,  as in the original Alu-Tech spec.

Regards . ..

 

Edited by Silverback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dougb said:

Not replacing the barbaque point it’s the mains external 240 volt socket and the mains hook up point.

regards

Doug

Great news on your paint seal job . .. Though PTEF is used in many marine GRP polishes on boats and just my personal opinion, I wouldn't call it a paint seal but a polish and with all polishes needs re-applying.  

This to me is a paint sealer, or an applied film similar to what one of my X-Trail's had and self healing.

 

http://www. nissan-global. com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/scratch. html

 

 

 

Edited by Silverback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Arnie said:

Thanks . . looks  great, thats what I was expecting in mine, but it isn’t, yours looks so much better.

I think it's good value for money . .. Just looked at your equivalent and the connections definitely look naff .  :(

Edited by Silverback
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Silverback said:

Great news on your paint seal job . .. Though PTEF is used in many marine GRP polishes on boats and just my personal opinion, I wouldn't call it a paint seal but a polish and with all polishes needs re-applying.  

This to me is a paint sealer, or an applied film similar to what one of my X-Trail's had and self healing.

 

http://www. nissan-global. com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/scratch. html

 

 

 

 

Without getting into an in-depth back and forth on the abilities and longevity of Paint sealers, i'm non sure many of my customers would agree with you there, including the OP Doug who only ever maintained both of the Caravans we'd worked on the way we'd advised, and that doesn't include any 're=application' of the product.  Plus a paint sealer isn't a polish, it's a semi permanent coating that cures against the surfaces applied to.  

All Paint sealers do need maintenance in the form of the correct aftercare, but none of this aftercare is reapplying the sealer.  If you have a quick look though my Blog, you can find examples of work we've done several years ago, and compare this against an 'unprotected' Caravan or Motorhome.  

Although dealers might sell these products as aids to make future cleaning easier, we sell them as a barrier against UV damage, which is a far more costly fix than just cleaning a Caravan or Motorhome.  

Lastly, i'm not sure if you've seen the effects of some vinyl wraps or protection films against fibreglasses several years later?  I've seen plenty of examples where the vinyl has reacted with the fibreglass underneath, and it can cause issues that are irreversible, hence why this is possibly not widely available in my industry, like it is in the Auto industry, which is a totally different surface to a Caravan or Motorhome.  

 

Paul

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tourershine said:

You're welcome.  

 

dealership.jpg

Do you guys cover Scotland?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have gone into Scotland many times in the past, but it takes a lot of logistical planning, because we need at least 3 days of work to justify the trip which isn't the issue, it's working around the weather and getting quite a few customers to agree to certain days and times that's been challenging in the past, but it's achievable with careful planning.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tourershine said:

 

Without getting into an in-depth back and forth on the abilities and longevity of Paint sealers, i'm non sure many of my customers would agree with you there, including the OP Doug who only ever maintained both of the Caravans we'd worked on the way we'd advised, and that doesn't include any 're=application' of the product.  Plus a paint sealer isn't a polish, it's a semi permanent coating that cures against the surfaces applied to.  

All Paint sealers do need maintenance in the form of the correct aftercare, but none of this aftercare is reapplying the sealer.  If you have a quick look though my Blog, you can find examples of work we've done several years ago, and compare this against an 'unprotected' Caravan or Motorhome.  

Although dealers might sell these products as aids to make future cleaning easier, we sell them as a barrier against UV damage, which is a far more costly fix than just cleaning a Caravan or Motorhome.  

Lastly, i'm not sure if you've seen the effects of some vinyl wraps or protection films against fibreglasses several years later?  I've seen plenty of examples where the vinyl has reacted with the fibreglass underneath, and it can cause issues that are irreversible, hence why this is possibly not widely available in my industry, like it is in the Auto industry, which is a totally different surface to a Caravan or Motorhome.  

 

Paul

I can't remember any reference in my posts wanting to get into a back and forth discussions of paint sealers and clearly indicated that my opinion was of my own personal one, but in posting this doesn't endorse your interpretation (Tin hat on)

My reference to additional top coats and film products  give the original coat a permanent paint seal, but not an endorsement for  GRP or any caravan type.   (Even though Bailey themselves have rapped caravans for cosmetic reasons)  A liquid product  that's hand applied cannot replicate the above,  hence the need for specialist aftercare for a "Semi Permanent Product" and my opinion was not to conflict with your previous customers views or with  their experience of your services and I'm more than sure you offer your customers an excellent service, with the main part being in the application.

Given my on coming years and with your customer reconmendations,  there maybe a fair probability that I may call on yours services to polish or restore the exterior paintwork of my caravan  but I would naturally realise this would not be for life and may need to call on your services again to re-apply or re-restore  (That's if you'd accept my request . . lol)

All the very best . . SB

Edited by Silverback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't think that was a direct attack on you personally, and as a business I wouldn't normally get drawn into any further discussions on these subjects, or any if it wasn't my name mentioned.  The reason for my response is simply because Paint sealers in general are not an easy choice for any owner to make, and although they make up only a small part of my business, we do provide them.  

Many people will often make up their minds on opinions from what they read on forums, any advice or opinions that directly conflict with what I know as a professional, (even if they are just personal opinions) I don't feel it's unreasonable to put the other side forward.  

I've  seen all sorts of advice and comments on these products and services, but unless it's to do directly with my business, I won't make any comments.  I'm aware that what you said is only a personal opinion, but sometimes others can read these  opinions and assume it's from direct experience, or misread what you mean.  That's the only reason I felt it was only fair to put my point across as the owner of the business the OP was referring to.   

No harm done.

Edited by Tourershine
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tourershine said:

Please don't think that was a direct attack on you personally, and as a business I wouldn't normally get drawn into any further discussions on these subjects, or any if it wasn't my name mentioned.  The reason for my response is simply because Paint sealers in general are not an easy choice for any owner to make, and although they make up only a small part of my business, we do provide them.  

Many people will often make up their minds on opinions from what they read on forums, any advice or opinions that directly conflict with what I know as a professional, (even if they are just personal opinions) I don't feel it's unreasonable to put the other side forward.  

I've  seen all sorts of advice and comments on these products and services, but unless it's to do directly with my business, I won't make any comments.  I'm aware that what you said is only a personal opinion, but sometimes others can read these  opinions and assume it's from direct experience, or misread what you mean.  That's the only reason I felt it was only fair to put my point across as the owner of the business the OP was referring to.   

No harm done.

No worries at all . .. What would the world be like without debate or opinions. I can only go off my experience within the automotive  industry for the last 35 years.   I think it's great you offer this bespoke service to caravan owners and have always been impressed with your caravan exterior restore service.  

Anyway it's cold out there at the moment so keep'em wrapped.  

Edited by Silverback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's often the case that owners will use previous experience from the Automotive industry, and assume the same principals apply in the Caravan industry, when in reality the surfaces are very different.  I will freely admit that i'm no expert when it comes to Automotive finishes, and that's why we don't get involved in any capacity with customers cars, preferring  to stick to what we know best.

Just to pick up on the point made referencing Bailey and their use of vinyls.   Don't anyone assume that because a manufacture uses a material like vinyl wraps and certain decals, that it's perfectly safe, and won't cause any long term effects, because this is not always the case with Caravans or Motorhomes.    The long term use of some wraps, vinyls, and even standard manufacture decals against construction materials like GRP, ABS, and even in some cases the more traditional Aluminium can sometimes have a detrimental effect on the surfaces underneath.  This is often and more commonly known as 'Ghosting' in the industry, and it's where the outline of the vinyl or decal can be seen with the naked eye once you remove the stickers.  The biggest and most common issue this causes, is where it raises the coating underneath by enough to feel with your finger.  No amount of machine polishing or wet flatting can remove this without costly bodywork being required.  This isn't really an issue that will effect any owner, unless they remove their decals altogether, or they try to replace them with a different size/shape.  In my professional opinion, GRP is a far better more robust construction method than Aluminium, but the downfall with this is it will need more maintenance in the form of either a 'Paint sealer' from new, or a regular coat of good quality wax (at least twice a year) and until the industry starts using more UV stable materials, this issue will be part of the world of Caravans and Motorhomes for years to come, but then i'd be out of a business if that became the case! 

Edited by Tourershine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tourershine said:

It's often the case that owners will use previous experience from the Automotive industry, and assume the same principals apply in the Caravan industry, when in reality the surfaces are very different.  I will freely admit that i'm no expert when it comes to Automotive finishes, and that's why we don't get involved in any capacity with customers cars, preferring  to stick to what we know best.

Just to pick up on the point made referencing Bailey and their use of vinyls.   Don't anyone assume that because a manufacture uses a material like vinyl wraps and certain decals, that it's perfectly safe, and won't cause any long term effects, because this is not always the case with Caravans or Motorhomes.    The long term use of some wraps, vinyls, and even standard manufacture decals against construction materials like GRP, ABS, and even in some cases the more traditional Aluminium can sometimes have a detrimental effect on the surfaces underneath.  This is often and more commonly known as 'Ghosting' in the industry, and it's where the outline of the vinyl or decal can be seen with the naked eye once you remove the stickers.  The biggest and most common issue this causes, is where it raises the coating underneath by enough to feel with your finger.  No amount of machine polishing or wet flatting can remove this without costly bodywork being required.  This isn't really an issue that will effect any owner, unless they remove their decals altogether, or they try to replace them with a different size/shape.  In my professional opinion, GRP is a far better more robust construction method than Aluminium, but the downfall with this is it will need more maintenance in the form of either a 'Paint sealer' from new, or a regular coat of good quality wax (at least twice a year) and until the industry starts using more UV stable materials, this issue will be part of the world of Caravans and Motorhomes for years to come, but then i'd be out of a business if that became the case! 

GRP is GRP regardless of being used within the automotive industry be it passenger carrying, motorcycle, commercial, marine, building industry or even your household furniture.   Though household furniture usually is less influenced by UV contamination.

http://www. constantfibreglass. co. uk/vehicle-bodywork. php

https://www. option1sportscars. co. uk/restoration/

SB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×