Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • BenF

      Forum upgrade   12/10/17

      Hi everyone, As you're probably aware, we've been in the process of upgrading the Caravan Talk forum software for a while. I can now confirm that the software has been upgraded and we're fully up to date. Please note that this new software is quite different in appearance and function, so may require a bit of relearning. We are in the process of refining the look, features and experience to make it a bit better and more familiar. If you spot any issues please let us know in the feedback forum. Unfortunately any posts between Monday morning and now have been lost. This is due to when the database snapshot was taken for the upgrade, this may also affect new members since then. We do apologise for this, but we have tried to keep disruption to a minimum. We are already aware and working on the following issues: PayPal payment issues for CT Supporters Forum design, lack of CT branding including colours Temporary loss of reviews databases Navigation bar needs refining We will keep this list up to date, so please check here before posting new updates, or to keep on tabs of our progress. The software was upgraded in order to provide you with a more secure, reliable, faster experience, whilst providing us with more tools to improve the features and options for the forum. Thank you for your continued support. Ben and the CT Team
Dougb

Unicorn 4 Pamplona has arrived

Recommended Posts

As the title says my new van arrived at the dealers today, it’s now having the Reich motor movers fitted, the mains hook up moved to the offside and the external socket replaced with a Bullfinch socket which will allow the cover to completely close when a plug is inserted and then Tourershine will be coming to apply the Tourershield sealer.

cant wait we are booked in at Southport for the end of this month to have five days away.

regards

Doug

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dougb said:

As the title says my new van arrived at the dealers today, it’s now having the Reich motor movers fitted, the mains hook up moved to the offside and the external socket replaced with a Bullfinch socket which will allow the cover to completely close when a plug is inserted and then Tourershine will be coming to apply the Tourershield sealer.

cant wait we are booked in at Southport for the end of this month to have five days away.

regards

Doug

 

Happy Days ! 

Little confused about replacing the Outer BBQ gas point and do you know what product is being used by Tourershine ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not not the BBQ  point that’s being changed its the external electrical socket, the standard socket it very close to the surface and when you plug into it the flap does not close and sticks out. The new socket completely fastens down.

Tourershine use their own blend of products which they closely guard and do not let anyone know what they are.

regards

Doug

 

Edited by Dougb
Missed replying to part of message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dougb said:

It’s not not the BBQ  point that’s being changed its the external electrical socket, the standard socket it very close to the surface and when you plug into it the flap does not close and sticks out. The new socket completely fastens down.

Tourershine use their own blend of products which they closely guard and do not let anyone know what they are.

regards

Doug

 

Thanks for the info . .. I'll check the socket next time I'm at the dealer . .. There's a couple of sealing products out there I wouldn't bother with, though I'm thinking of using 3M boat polish or Meguiars M50 marine polish but I'll check with Bailey first.

Edited by Silverback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our sealants are not the closely guarded secret, it's the compounds we use to restore faded and dull Caravans and Motorhomes, which is not something you need on a new Caravan.  Doug has used both of our main services, because we Restored his original Bailey Senator years ago, and his new Swift in 2014 prior to this new Unicorn purchase.  So he can give you his opinions on both our main services.  

The sealer we use is a PTFE sealant from a supplier that only supplies to the trade.  We've used the same sealer for 6 years now, and it's never failed or let us down, hence why we don't change.  This includes sealing everything from a painted surface, to a GRP one like the Bailey construction.  I'm sure if you pop my name in the search box, you will find pretty much all surfaces that we've Tourershielded, and the owners opinions on these products.  

There's also a couple of blogs on my website that shows you our sealed work many years later if you get 5 mins to have a look.  

Edited by Tourershine
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tourershine said:

Our sealants are not the closely guarded secret, it's the compounds we use to restore faded and dull Caravans and Motorhomes, which is not something you need on a new Caravan.  Doug has used both of our main services, because we Restored his original Bailey Senator years ago, and his new Swift in 2014 prior to this new Unicorn purchase.  So he can give you his opinions on both our main services.  

The sealer we use is a PTFE sealant from a supplier that only supplies to the trade.  We've used the same sealer for 6 years now, and it's never failed or let us down, hence why we don't change.  This includes sealing everything from a painted surface, to a GRP one like the Bailey construction.  I'm sure if you pop my name in the search box, you will find pretty much all surfaces that we've Tourershielded, and the owners opinions on these products.  

There's also a couple of blogs on my website that shows you our sealed work many years later if you get 5 mins to have a look.  

Thanks for the info and link . ... 

Starbrite Marine Polish uses PTEF but its one thing purchasing the polish but another in its application and I think that's where Tourershine comes in .

 

Edited by Silverback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dougb said:

the mains hook up moved to the offside

I'm probably having a completely blond moment but if you move the above what will you fill the "hole" with?:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or will you just leave the original cover plate in place and just close it? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I'm probably having a completely blond moment but if you move the above what will you fill the "hole" with?:blink:

The original mains inlet socket will be left in place, the new socket will be connected to the original plug at the back of the original socket .

regards

Doug

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Dougb said:

The original mains inlet socket will be left in place, the new socket will be connected to the original plug at the back of the original socket .

regards

Doug

 

Congratulations on the new van, I bet it’s worse waiting now that you know it’s with the dealers, Do you have a link for the product that is going to be used?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please keep us informed of your progress with your new Bailey as I would definitely like to know how you rate it after using it on tour-good luck :Thankyou:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Silverback said:

Thanks for the info and link . ... 

Starbrite Marine Polish uses PTEF but its one thing purchasing the polish but another in its application and I think that's where Tourershine comes in .

 

I use Boora Permaseal on the car, its ok and is easy to use, however its the preparation where the work is but once done its easy to keep clean with just a wash every so often, I still give it a clay and a coat of wax every now and then.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arnie said:

Congratulations on the new van, I bet it’s worse waiting now that you know it’s with the dealers, Do you have a link for the product that is going to be used?

Bullfinch https://bigwhitebox. co. uk/product/bullfinch-electrical-outlet-point/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm8bX7bnG1wIVhDLTCh1G1wGhEAQYAyABEgLQwfD_BwE

 

https://bigwhitebox. co. uk/product/flush-fitting-230v-inlet/

The bullfinch socket does not have a satellite point but will achieve what I wanted that is no sticking out lid when a plug is inserted.

The mains inlet point will now be at the front offside and has plenty of room to fit the satellite point, so highly delighted. it only took 10 minutes to route a shotgun satellite cable so now both TV can be connected to satellite.

Regards

Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondered why you are having the mains hook up moved to the offside.

What advantage does this have ?

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bob From Dunstable said:

Just wondered why you are having the mains hook up moved to the offside.

What advantage does this have ?

Bob

The mains. Hookup on the near side being fitted by  Bailey are the same as they fit to motorhomes and stick out.  at a 90 degree angle which can cause a trip hazard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dougb said:

The mains. Hookup on the near side being fitted by  Bailey are the same as they fit to motorhomes and stick out.  at a 90 degree angle which can cause a trip hazard.

Could the dealer not just replaced the hookup point on the near side using the type you are having fitted on the offside ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dougb said:

The mains. Hookup on the near side being fitted by  Bailey are the same as they fit to motorhomes and stick out.  at a 90 degree angle which can cause a trip hazard.

I`ve seen this stated in Practical Caravan reviews of Bailey caravans. They always put it as a negative as a trip hazard.

Personally I have never accepted that it is. The cable goes straight behind the awning skirt and under the caravan so there is no hazard. It is not actually 90 degrees, much shallower than that.

I think I would be more likely to trip on it on the offside when I am refilling the aquaroll or getting in or out of the car.

Just my personal opinion.

 

Bob

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Glynnis said:

Could the dealer not just replaced the hookup point on the near side using the type you are having fitted on the offside ?

 

11 hours ago, Glynnis said:

Could the dealer not just replaced the hookup point on the near side using the type you are having fitted on the offside ?

Unfortunately not the standard hook up points on the new Baileys are square the replacement is rectangular so narrower than the original opening.

regards

Doug

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bob From Dunstable said:

I`ve seen this stated in Practical Caravan reviews of Bailey caravans. They always put it as a negative as a trip hazard.

Personally I have never accepted that it is. The cable goes straight behind the awning skirt and under the caravan so there is no hazard. It is not actually 90 degrees, much shallower than that.

I think I would be more likely to trip on it on the offside when I am refilling the aquaroll or getting in or out of the car.

Just my personal opinion.

 

Bob

Hi  Bob

The new unicorn 4 does stick out at 90 degrees the previous mains inlet sockets on the unicorn 3 are fine and that’s the type that I have had fitted, I can accept your comment when you have the awning up you can feed the cable behind the awning skirt, but the new unicorn 4 hook up point is no longer in the centre of the caravan but at the front next to the gas point so even with a 390awning fitted the cable is left exposed.

kind regards 

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Doug !

Your new Pamplona must be different to the S4 Cadiz as that still has the hook up point just behind the nearside wheel arch and appears to be the same type as fitted to the S3 so far as I could see on the display models.

Enjoy your new Pamplona and I hope you enjoy it as much as we have our three Unicorns so far with our S4 Cadiz due in January.

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bob From Dunstable said:

Hi Doug !

Your new Pamplona must be different to the S4 Cadiz as that still has the hook up point just behind the nearside wheel arch and appears to be the same type as fitted to the S3 so far as I could see on the display models.

Enjoy your new Pamplona and I hope you enjoy it as much as we have our three Unicorns so far with our S4 Cadiz due in January.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I am sure I will enjoy it, I think some of the early demo caravans differ from what the production vans are coming out with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bob From Dunstable said:

Hi Doug !

Your new Pamplona must be different to the S4 Cadiz as that still has the hook up point just behind the nearside wheel arch and appears to be the same type as fitted to the S3 so far as I could see on the display models.

Enjoy your new Pamplona and I hope you enjoy it as much as we have our three Unicorns so far with our S4 Cadiz due in January.

Bob

All the vans we’ve seen at the dealers the mains hookup point has been near the wheel arch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manufacturers will normally fit the EHU socket as close as practicable to the internal power unit to save additional lengths of wiring. The position of the power unit is normally dictated by where they can find a spare space in the layout that's relatively unusable but accessible for maintenance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Glynnis said:

All the vans we’ve seen at the dealers the mains hookup point has been near the wheel arch 

Hi Glynnis

I was at the dealers earlier today it looks as though all the single axle vans have the mains hook up point behind the wheel arch. With the twin axles being at the front.

However they all have the same mains socket which will stick out once the plug is inserted, the cover sticks out above the plug.

regards

Doug

F1C73EAB-6B07-440F-96D9-9764EF15746A.jpeg

1EC16B87-5921-4EF2-AA49-1D70C357EBC6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Dougb said:

Hi Glynnis

I was at the dealers earlier today it looks as though all the single axle vans have the mains hook up point behind the wheel arch. With the twin axles being at the front.

However they all have the same mains socket which will stick out once the plug is inserted, the cover sticks out above the plug.

regards

Doug

F1C73EAB-6B07-440F-96D9-9764EF15746A.jpeg

1EC16B87-5921-4EF2-AA49-1D70C357EBC6.jpeg

Yip, stupid idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×