• Announcements

• BenF

Forum upgrade   12/10/17

Hi everyone, As you're probably aware, we've been in the process of upgrading the Caravan Talk forum software for a while. I can now confirm that the software has been upgraded and we're fully up to date. Please note that this new software is quite different in appearance and function, so may require a bit of relearning. We are in the process of refining the look, features and experience to make it a bit better and more familiar. If you spot any issues please let us know in the feedback forum. Unfortunately any posts between Monday morning and now have been lost. This is due to when the database snapshot was taken for the upgrade, this may also affect new members since then. We do apologise for this, but we have tried to keep disruption to a minimum. We are already aware and working on the following issues: PayPal payment issues for CT Supporters Forum design, lack of CT branding including colours Temporary loss of reviews databases Navigation bar needs refining We will keep this list up to date, so please check here before posting new updates, or to keep on tabs of our progress. The software was upgraded in order to provide you with a more secure, reliable, faster experience, whilst providing us with more tools to improve the features and options for the forum. Thank you for your continued support. Ben and the CT Team
perksm

Knackered tyres

Had my van serviced today by Dan Carroll from Perfect tow. Van has a clean bill of health, no damp, no problems. Except he condemned the tyres. 2014 tyres covered in cracks! Michelins as well. Not happy. It’s obviously UV degradation but they should last longer than 4 years old and 2 1/2 service!

0821127A-1768-4220-A4A5-E33D7E58E08B.jpeg

Our previous van was a 2012 Lunar Quasar, built in late 2011. We purchased it brand new in May 2013, so it had spent 19 months on a forecourt in South Coast weather. Come it's first annual service all the tyres were condemned with deep splits in the rubber between the treads. The tyres were just under three years old but had only been used for one year. Luckily Lunar agreed to pay for replacements.  

I had to replace mine at three years old due to cracks between the treads.

When you say 3 or 4 years old is that the caravan or the tyres?

Tyres can be a lot older than a caravan.

Edited by Johnaldo

I always use wheel covers in storage and on long stays because of the affects of UV after our first caravan tyres were covered with cracks at 4 years. ...  I purchased mine from bags4everything and the last set of tyres I changed was due to age but no cracking.

Edited by Silverback

Our Nov. 15 van tyres was checked only last week when serviced, date manufactured 2015.

I've just replaced my front tyres because of cracks and they had plenty of tread, they were about 2 years old and been replaced with Michelin.

I have covers over my caravan my tyres when its parked up 

med_gallery_384_1578_5849[1].jpg

1 hour ago, Paul_B said:

I've just replaced my front tyres because of cracks and they had plenty of tread, they were about 2 years old and been replaced with Michelin.

I have covers over my caravan my tyres when its parked up 

med_gallery_384_1578_5849[1].jpg

Do you also move it say in winter when parked up so not on same part of tyres all winer?

The van is a 2014 Build, registered in 2015. its probable the tyres are between 3 and 4 years old.

What's the point of buying premium tyres? I notice none of the Bailey vans had Michelins on at the show last month. I might as well replace them with cheaper ones knowing they wont last.

the date code on those tyres is 4113, which means week 41 of 2013, so manufactured in mid october.

Not just the tyres. On all of the buccaneers(well ours and most of others on here say) they dont even ballance the tyre to the wheel. So who knows what vibration is going on in the van. would this also affect the tyres with cracking?

We had to replace owe tyres when owe caravan was 4 years old, we move  the caravan every 6 weeks even during the winter when not used so avoid a flat spot on tyres & they still needed renewing, pete

2 hours ago, David Park said:

Do you also move it say in winter when parked up so not on same part of tyres all winer?

I made some winter wheels for when its not  used during the winter, however the weight of the caravan is took by wooden blocks.

The green mat is so the pebbles don't stick to the tyres and go into the mover rollers when the caravan is in summer mode, and the bolts on the winter wheels are replaced by a sturdy lock :)

med_gallery_384_297_644072[1].jpg

I will swap my tyres before the next season starts. Van is brand new in October this year. Manufacturers don't spec decent tyres. Mine has some brand on I have never heard of. I can swap all 4 of them for firestone or similar for less than 200 quid. If I get 3 years out of them I'm happy in the knowledge that they are quality and feel secure in that knowledge.

It's the only point of contact with the road. As a biker I know what decent tyres does for feel and grip much more than I would as a car driver.   

To me a few hundred quid every few years is worth it.  

Dan

• Like 1

I have never had problems with my caravan tyres and I am a great believer in buying 'quality tyres' but you don't always get what you think you're paying for. When I was a REME soldier a problem that I came across was on Goodyear Tyres fitted to Army Land-rovers. The entire fleet of vehicles were fitted with Goodyear tyres, all the tyres were to the same specification but some were made in the UK and some were made in South Africa. The GB ones were fine but the SA ones were not, after only a short service life the SA tyre-walls would crack really badly and had to be replaced.  

You can check the age of your tyres as it is stamped on the sidewall, the replacement tyre I had fitted in Spain was two years old, I accepted it as I was desperate s it took the tyre people a week to find one

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I have never had problems with my caravan tyres and I am a great believer in buying 'quality tyres' but you don't always get what you think you're paying for. When I was a REME soldier a problem that I came across was on Goodyear Tyres fitted to Army Land-rovers. The entire fleet of vehicles were fitted with Goodyear tyres, all the tyres were to the same specification but some were made in the UK and some were made in South Africa. The GB ones were fine but the SA ones were not, after only a short service life the SA tyre-walls would crack really badly and had to be replaced.  

Agree with this. Tyre companies sometimes transfer  tools to a sub contracting factory where the process controls are theoretically identical but in reality not the same. The place of manufacture should be shown on the moulding - this is a requirement of the 3 global tyre trade organisations ETRTO(Europe), ATR(America),I forget the Japanese one. American,Japanese, and European tyre companies all do it.  

Yes, the otherwise identical tyres were marked 'Made in Great Britain' and 'Made in South Africa'

14 hours ago, Dannyp said:

I will swap my tyres before the next season starts. Van is brand new in October this year. Manufacturers don't spec decent tyres. Mine has some brand on I have never heard of. I can swap all 4 of them for firestone or similar for less than 200 quid. If I get 3 years out of them I'm happy in the knowledge that they are quality and feel secure in that knowledge.

It's the only point of contact with the road. As a biker I know what decent tyres does for feel and grip much more than I would as a car driver.   

Dan

I am a stickler for decent tyres on my cars but my caravan and trailers get anything that is up to the weight spec. Trailer wheels do so little work as just being dragged about and not required to apply power or steer, most they do is brake and even then i still think the car does most of the work. If it makes you feel safer though then money well spent.

Edited by tom_1989
  • Thanks 1

Out of interest, how does caravan tyre construction and materials compare to car tyres? My Audi was 13 years old when i acquired it and it still had 2 original Michelin tyres on it, they were starting to get some light surface cracking but were still in reasonable condition, whereas caravan tyres seem to be of much more poor construction with the frequency of failures (seemingly) a lot higher. ..

Caravan tyres in particular those on single axles can carry a lot of weight.   In my case 950kg per tyre.  They can also stand for months without moving which isn’t a recipe for a long life oh yes they tend to be the cheapest ones available to the maker.    As a side issue we bought an imported pajero that came direct from japan.  We had a tyre blow out within a week of getting it.  Can’t say for definite that sitting on a boat for however long destroyed the tyres but don’t think it helped.  

24 minutes ago, Firediamonduk said:

Out of interest, how does caravan tyre construction and materials compare to car tyres? My Audi was 13 years old when i acquired it and it still had 2 original Michelin tyres on it, they were starting to get some light surface cracking but were still in reasonable condition, whereas caravan tyres seem to be of much more poor construction with the frequency of failures (seemingly) a lot higher. ..

Not sure if they are a poorer construction, just different.   Our Lunar came with these KargoMax which  are designed for caravans and trailers - http://www. gtradial. co. uk/gtradial/uk/newsdetail. asp?newsid=1241.   As for frequent failures, I've been 'vanning for 35 years and haven't had a puncture or failure  (touch wood) in over 30k miles of towing.

1 hour ago, Firediamonduk said:

yOut of interest, how does caravan tyre construction and materials compare to car tyres? My Audi was 13 years old when i acquired it and it still had 2 original Michelin tyres on it, they were starting to get some light surface cracking but were still in reasonable condition, whereas caravan tyres seem to be of much more poor construction with the frequency of failures (seemingly) a lot higher. ..

I agree with Fred, they carry a lot more weight (a tonne each in my case), they stand with the stress in one position for months on end and often in bright sunshine (if you holiday abroad) but the biggest difference between car and caravan tyres is the shock loading they are subjected to, modern cars have very sophisticated suspension systems some British built caravans don't even have shock absorbers as standard, that combined with the state of the British roads is a recipe for disaster.

Caravan tyres are basically normal van tyres and they don't suffer the same problems because like passenger cars the have decent suspension systems.

Even on a car though I wouldn't be happy with 13 year old tyres, they might look ok but me personally, I'd fit new ones.

Edited by Borussia 1900

On 16/11/2017 at 20:55, Dannyp said:

Dan

Hi Dan, top class attitude and I would not have attended as many incidents as I did if others had the same attitude.