Sign in to follow this  
DaveA

RAV4 Hybrid AWD as towcar

Has anyone any experience of using a RAV4 hybrid AWD Excel as a towcar. It has a towing limit of 1650kg so should manage my Unicorn S1 Cadiz adequately.   I am used to driving a hybrid as my wife has a Prius. I also realise that the engine will be working almost continuously when towing, so mpg will be nothing like the adverts. We want a hybrid for general use if we decide to come down to one car in the future.

Dave

Hi

We considered the RAV4 hybrid as a towcar before we bought the crv.

Check out the RAV4 Club (part of Toyotaownersclub. com) there were a few posts about the RAV hybrid and towing on there. Low noseweight and box can scream at times under hard acceleration come to mind.

Regards

Peter

I have a Rav4 Hybrid for towing our 1500kg Pastiche 520/4

We average around 25mpg when towing, and around 45-47mpg when solo.

Yes the engine is working most of the time, and is noisy when working hard, but the trade off when solo makes it worthwhile.

Only issue we have is the quite small fuel tank which means we have to fill up on the way when heading up north.

Noseweight is 65kg, but the tow stability is excellent as the car has a very low centre of gravity due to the batteries.

Many thanks for your replies.

Dave

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 14:37, warrenb said:

I have a Rav4 Hybrid for towing our 1500kg Pastiche 520/4

We average around 25mpg when towing, and around 45-47mpg when solo.

Yes the engine is working most of the time, and is noisy when working hard, but the trade off when solo makes it worthwhile.

Only issue we have is the quite small fuel tank which means we have to fill up on the way when heading up north.

Noseweight is 65kg, but the tow stability is excellent as the car has a very low centre of gravity due to the batteries.

I at present in process of purchasing Rav4 Hybrid - Tow Lunar Clubman 1450kg -- Normal tow with VW Tiguan  Diesel

no problem . How noisy is RAV4 when working hard - on scale 1 to 10 -- when 10 is bad

You has answered my other queries in the above ie MPG and stability - Thanks

Peter D -

So the 85% rule goes out of the window then?

You are going to be nearly 50kg over the recommended weight and that is before you load it up and I hope you are only doing short hops with no hills, if not the Rav4 is going to be working its doodahs off.

• I disagree 1

28 minutes ago, The road toad said:

Peter D -

So the 85% rule goes out of the window then?

You are going to be nearly 50kg over the recommended weight and that is before you load it up and I hope you are only doing short hops with no hills, if not the Rav4 is going to be working its doodahs off.

What rule?

• Like 2

The mass in service of a current RAV4 AWD hybrid is 1815 Kg according to my V5, so towing 1450 Kg gives a ratio of 80%. The towing limit is 1650 Kg and the max train weight is 3920Kg.   I may be missing something but I don't see the problem.   The 85% recommendation for new towers is just that, no more.

Dave

• I agree completely 1

HJ gives the Excel Hybrids kerbweight as 1710kg. Mass in Service may include fuel and driver to add an extra 105kg.  Either way the 85% figure as recommended for new towers is around 1450kg to 1540kg and Toyota are happy for it to pull 1650kg. With the Clubman at 1450kg and the Pastiche at 1500kg there shouldn't be a problem. Having said all that, personally I'd want a few more owner reports before opting for a hybrid In my mind they're still marginal.

The Rav4 hybrid torque is 210nm.

My Honda CRV 1. 6 awd diesel has a torque of 350nm, towball weight of 100kgs and can tow 2000kgs.

A 40% reduction in torque.

Not sure this would suit me.

On 11/01/2018 at 11:24, Tradewinds said:

The Rav4 hybrid torque is 210nm.

My Honda CRV 1. 6 awd diesel has a torque of 350nm, towball weight of 100kgs and can tow 2000kgs.

A 40% reduction in torque.

Not sure this would suit me.

Agree but interestingly next gen crv has no diesel option though they are introducing a hybrid instead.

Honda will be having a 1. 5 petrol and the 2. 0 petrol hybrid as the only CRV engines, from later on this year.

The 1. 5 petrol is 142KW and 243nm torque but no figures have been released for the hybrid as yet.

As you say no diesel engine in the CRV range, a step backwards I think.

My Crv is due changing at the end of this year and not really sure what to go for next.

23 hours ago, Tradewinds said:

Honda will be having a 1. 5 petrol and the 2. 0 petrol hybrid as the only CRV engines, from later on this year.

The 1. 5 petrol is 142KW and 243nm torque but no figures have been released for the hybrid as yet.

As you say no diesel engine in the CRV range, a step backwards I think.

My Crv is due changing at the end of this year and not really sure what to go for next.

Test drive a CX-5, Tucson 184, or 190 Tiguan, one of those should suit. ?

I have no xpirience of the Rav4 hybrid so cannot offer any opinion on it. But have been towing three years with Outlander PHEV.   As an AWD car it's ok, heavy on fuel solo and not a lot of miles when on battery. But nice enough to drive.

When towing it's a no no.   17 mpg which is poor. Car will not charge battery when towing, so it's basicaly petrol all the way.

I just Hope the Rav performs better in the real world, As we know the car manufacturers are absoloutly honest when they issue the cars details, or maybe they are NOT.

Edited by Angel1

Unfortunately the Rav4 hybrid isn't a favourite with Which Car Reviews.  

Below is their summation

Should I buy it?

It's not a straightforward answer. Yes, it's a great car in many ways. But there's the poor out-of-town fuel economy and massive amount of emissions which makes it difficult to recommend. If you plan to do long journeys, you would actually be better off buying the regular Toyota RAV4, which is not only highly recommended, but the diesel version has proven itself cleaner than this hybrid.

Unquote

No point as a towcarif the emissions are high and fuel economy not good. :angry:

I have just done a price comparison on nearly new cars.

Toyota RAV4 hybrid £30,000

Kia Sportage petrol 4x4 £19,000

At £5 per gallon this gives me the first 66,000 Miles for FREE. 

• Like 1

Most road tests of Toyota hybrids I have seen dislike the CVT, one minute engine running quietly next high revving!

5th Gear tried a couple and commented on it. Not something I fancy.

We were looking at Hyundai Ioniq hybrid while our Santa Fe was in for service, the salesman told me they use conventional auto boxes not CVT. Kia hybrids will be the same.

They said there will be Santa Fe hybrids later.