HELP NEEDED WITH ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Hi,  I am new to this site and I don't know if I am posting in the right section - apologies if not.

We have a 2010 Swift Fairway 550.   We collected it from storage yesterday to take away at the weekend.   Our problem is this:

• Parked the caravan on our drive and connected it to the mains.  
  • Pressed the 'power' button on the control panel - all lights, microwave, fridge etc work.  
  • After about 1 minute all the lights go off (sometimes an alarm sounds).  The microwave and fridge are still working from the mains power and the plug sockets work.  
  • On the control panel non of the buttons work and all lights are off with the exception of 2 green lights above the car symbol and caravan symbol, indicating that the caravan is connected to the car (which it is not). 
  • Also, at the time the lights go out, you hear the 'pick up' sound that you hear when you connect the caravan to the car with the 12 pin plug.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated as we are taking the caravan away at the weekend to attend a wedding.

I would double check / clean / washout with silicone fluid the 13 pin plug on the careavan. It's possible through moisture and dirt it's picking it's own 12v up and thinking it's connected to the car. Only a guess, I havent got a circuit diagram or tech info on the Swift.

Difficult without knowing your cvan and/or the electrical controls/regulator.

You don't have to de-select "car" and then select 240v do you?

Otherwise I would suspect a switch, fuse or relay fault.   Have any circuit breakers tripped?

If the battery is faulty (or the charger) that could cause a problem.

You could try 'phoning the supplier of the electrical controls - if it's a Sargent system they are very helpful.  

Swift owners to the rescue I hope.

Check that your battery is not flat and also check the 20 amp fuse inside the caravan, located at floor level behind the battery box.

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

When our 2008 Swift Conqueror did this it turned out to be the 12v PSU/Battery Charger.

The Practical Caravan forum  has a member with the same problem - LINK

I replaced ours with a like for like Sargent PX300  @ £115 - LINK

We had something similar with our 2009 550. Probably the Nordelektrica Charger at fault. Switch it off at the MCB. Start again with it off. If the battery is flat, this may have to be charged with a separate charger  initially. Once you have identified the offending item is the battery charger, contact  APULJACK ENGINEERING LTD  01278 588 922. they will repair and upgrade your charger. its not cheap but its a thorough job.

Edited by Ern

Ern

• 2 years later...

I have a swift challenger sport I have similar problem when the battery charger is switched on after 5 or 10 mins the 12 volt trips out & a green light flashing on the control panel I have to turn of the charger to to get back the 12 volt

Just now, Charl1 said:

I have a swift challenger sport I have similar problem when the battery charger is switched on after 5 or 10 mins the 12 volt trips out & a green light flashing on the control panel I have to turn of the charger to to get back the 12 volt

Can any one help

The same advice as the post above,,,phone Apuljack Engineering and speak to them.

By the way ,you have re opened a topic of 2 years ago !!

• I do not understand 1
11 hours ago, Brecon said:

By the way ,you have re opened a topic of 2 years ago !!

As it is the same make of caravan of the same vintage with a very similar fault I think it was the right decision to pick it up again.

• I agree completely 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"