• Announcements

• BenF

Forum upgrade   12/10/17

Hi everyone, As you're probably aware, we've been in the process of upgrading the Caravan Talk forum software for a while. I can now confirm that the software has been upgraded and we're fully up to date. Please note that this new software is quite different in appearance and function, so may require a bit of relearning. We are in the process of refining the look, features and experience to make it a bit better and more familiar. If you spot any issues please let us know in the feedback forum. Unfortunately any posts between Monday morning and now have been lost. This is due to when the database snapshot was taken for the upgrade, this may also affect new members since then. We do apologise for this, but we have tried to keep disruption to a minimum. We are already aware and working on the following issues: PayPal payment issues for CT Supporters Forum design, lack of CT branding including colours Temporary loss of reviews databases Navigation bar needs refining We will keep this list up to date, so please check here before posting new updates, or to keep on tabs of our progress. The software was upgraded in order to provide you with a more secure, reliable, faster experience, whilst providing us with more tools to improve the features and options for the forum. Thank you for your continued support. Ben and the CT Team
Babstreefern

REMINDER - ELECTRIC CABLE

Just a quick reminder, which will more than likely save your lives.

Please remember that when you set up on your pitch (or even at home), when connecting to the electricity supply that you unravel your cable fully, because if you don't the unused cable that is still wrapped, will get hot and could start a fire.   When walking around various caravan sites, its surprising how many have not been fully unravelled and worse still its usually put underneath the caravan.   Please unravel your electric cable fully.

• Like 1

Was on a C&MC site a couple of weeks ago,  I also was surprised of how many  caravans had a nice neat short run of cable to the hook up, then the rest was all coiled up around the plastic drum under the caravan.  They did look nice and neat! compared to my cable all spread out in the hedge back looking a right mess!

Edited by Czech connection

The amount of heat generated in a wound cable depends on the Amps it is passing and the time it is passing that load,if at home and you aren't using much load then it doesn't need to be fully unwound.

knarf

8 minutes ago, KNARF said:

The amount of heat generated in a wound cable depends on the Amps it is passing and the time it is passing that load,if at home and you aren't using much load then it doesn't need to be fully unwound.

knarf

At home - it's ok until you decide to test the Alde on 3kw and forget to uncoil the cable!

I keep meaning to buy another 25m EHU cable, cut it into two to give 10m and 15m, fit new plug/socket, then I can choose on site or at home which one to use - and with a torpedo connector use them to lengthen the 25m one.

30 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

At home - it's ok until you decide to test the Alde on 3kw and forget to uncoil the cable!

I keep meaning to buy another 25m EHU cable, cut it into two to give 10m and 15m, fit new plug/socket, then I can choose on site or at home which one to use - and with a torpedo connector use them to lengthen the 25m one.

That is what I have done. Initially the shorter length was for home, but take it with me for occasions when near the bollard, or combined when far away.

Tom

1 hour ago, Czech connection said:

Was on a C&MC site a couple of weeks ago,  I also was surprised of how many  caravans had a nice neat short run of cable to the hook up, then the rest was all coiled up around the plastic drum under the caravan.  They did look nice and neat! compared to my cable all spread out in the hedge back looking a right mess!

That's how mine came with van---never had a heat problem (or anyone tripping). Cable tidy on own drum.

33 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I understand that no connections are allowed on CMC Sites, I think I have read it in the Sites, 

for the clever ones who don't see the point because it's never happened to them

P7nzb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

I understand that no connections are allowed on CMC Sites, I think I have read it in the Sites, 

Connections don't comply with BS7671 regs for supplies to campsites either here or in France but a lot of people ignore it.

knarf

4 minutes ago, matelodave said:

for the clever ones who don't see the point because it's never happened to them

P7nzb.jpg

That only happens if you load the cable up to or near it's maximum for some time.

knarf

16 minutes ago, KNARF said:

That only happens if you load the cable up to or near it's maximum for some time.

knarf

Such as putting your heating/hot water of full, then using the electric ring on the cooker and your microwave together!

Play safe - heed the post.

There's no need to be untidy if the cable is looped under the length of the caravan.    That extra 5 minutes effort is so worthwhile.

And not all cables on sale are genuine items - cheap copies are difficult to spot.  And how many people can tell the difference between a 1. 5 mm cable and a 2. 5mm one unless they are side by side?

• Like 1

also, connect electric cable to caravan first and unhook from electric post first.

macafee2

2 hours ago, Les Medes said:

When were you last on a CC, sorry CMC site. On the last one we were on we saw joined cables, and external gas bottles with the hose going into the front locker!

standards are slipping!

3 hours ago, KNARF said:

knarf

Oh no it doesn't, I've seen it happen with less than 500w running continuously through it

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Oh no it doesn't, I've seen it happen with less than 500w running continuously through it

It would have to be an extremely thin cable for 500w (2 amps) to cause the overheating.   Looking at the cable drum I have here, 25m commercial extension lead it states 3150w fully unwound,  1200w fully wound. This cable is 1. 25mm2.

https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/25M-4-GANG-WAY-13AMP-GARDEN-HOUSE-FREE-STANDING-DRUM-REEL-CABLE-EXTENSION-LEAD/332123553008?hash=item4d541b3cf0:g:4fkAAOSw3YNXYra-

Whilst it is better to unwind the cable, I feel were being rather alarmist on here. Its highly unlikely to cause a fire, it may well melt the plastic but around that time the insulation will fail and the supply will short circuit causing the breaker to trip and switching off the supply.

AJ

Edited by AJGalaxy2012
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Except that the blue plugs and sockets are only water resistant, not water proof. There's a big difference!

36 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Whilst it is better to unwind the cable, I feel were being rather alarmist on here. Its highly unlikely to cause a fire, it may well melt the plastic but around that time the insulation will fail and the supply will short circuit causing the breaker to trip and switching off the supply.

I have mentioned before the warden at a CC site having in his office an Aquaroll with a cable wound around. .....little of the cable left and a big hole in the melted Aquaroll. ....

geoff

44 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

I have mentioned before the warden at a CC site having in his office an Aquaroll with a cable wound around. .....little of the cable left and a big hole in the melted Aquaroll. ....

geoff

Kind of illustrates my point, it gets hot, very hot, hot enough to melt plastic but is unlikely to set fire to anything.

• Confused 1

We were at the Brighton C&MC last week (great weather for the time of year, lots of 'vans &  motorhomes with either coiled up cables or on a 'nice neat drum' Mine looked a bit untidy as the supply socket was right behind my caravan & I laid the cable back & forth along the grass. We must have been drawing near the max of 16A at times after being out & warming up the 'van & us with the Alde on 2kw, the 1kw kettle & a single electric ring on.

I'd rather be safe & a bit untidy than have a cable fire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PR1 said:

When were you last on a CC, sorry CMC site. On the last one we were on we saw joined cables, and external gas bottles with the hose going into the front locker!

standards are slipping!

Last week

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

500W applied to a 2. 5 mm Cu cable will generate less than 1/3 watt in heat output per metre,even with the cable fully wound with all 25M on it the total heat generated would be less than 10Watts heat output.

It would have to run for a long time to heat to a state where it would melt the insulation if ever and that isn't taking account of any heat that would dissipate .

That#s why the cable linked to will safely operate at 740W fully wound indefinitely.

knarf

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Kind of illustrates my point, it gets hot, very hot, hot enough to melt plastic but is unlikely to set fire to anything.

But why would anyone even take the risk?  All to save a couple of minutes unwinding the reel - am I the only one who doesn't  understand ??

i have a fixed lead the right length at home. and have a 10 and a 25m for the van. but never connected together. .try plugging in a hoover at home to a extension lean unravelled. and feel it after just 5 min. how warm it gets.

Cmc doesn't allow external gas bottles any more. ..

Geoff