Sign in to follow this  
Glynnis

Unicorn S4 Battery Box

We have ordered a Unicorn S4 Cartagena having seen a post on a Facebook page about someone having to get a new 12v leisure battery when he collected his S4 because his current one was too big, I emailed Bailey to ask the size of the battery box (see below) we have checked the height of our battery it’s is 260mm so to big we will need to buy a new one, it is coming up 5 years old so maybe due for a replacement.

Has anyone who have taken delivery of an S4 had to buy a new leisure battery?

Their reply 

We are pleased to clarify that the usable space in the battery box within Unicorn IV models is as follows:

·         Height: 200mm

·         Width: 175mm

·         Length: 358mm

As far as I know it’s the same as Unicorn 3 and most dealers stock batteries to fit.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Bummer, my battery is 2cm too tall .  

• Like 1

We were lucky that we replaced our battery last year with a 110amp  lowcase one and it just fits in the battery box and I mean just it is an extremely tight fit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arnie said:

Bummer, my battery is 2cm too tall .  

What make is your battery?

• Like 1

We had to have a new leisure battery. Our dealer told us on ordering our new Valencia that the battery box was not as deep as the series 3.  A Platinum AGMLB6110L was factored in as part of the deal and fits perfectly. Have kept oldish one for a spare to use for tele when off grid

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johnsev said:

We had to have a new leisure battery. Our dealer told us on ordering our new Valencia that the battery box was not as deep as the series 3.  A Platinum AGMLB6110L was factored in as part of the deal and fits perfectly. Have kept oldish one for a spare to use for tele when off grid

That’s good news that’s the battery I currently have.

regards

Doug

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dougb said:

That’s good news that’s the battery I currently have.

regards

Doug

That’s a result. I think they cost about £150.

• Like 1

I only paid £89 last year at caravan dealers, so I don’t think they will be as dear as that .

just looked online and the price varies from £89 to £110

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dougb said:

I only paid £89 last year at caravan dealers, so I don’t think they will be as dear as that .

The Platinum battery above is an Absorbent Glass Matt battery AGM not lead and these batteries are far more expensive, some info below.

http://batteryuniversity. com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Edited by Silverback
  • Like 1

Been looking at the cost of low profile 110ah batteries or there about, not a lot to choose from & seem to be more expensive than the larger batteries I believe that Bailey have reduced the box size from those fitted in the S3 I do wonder why when a lot batteries on the market are too big?

• Like 1

It's part of their customer care package. We are the customer and they don't care.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Glynnis said:

Been looking at the cost of low profile 110ah batteries or there about, not a lot to choose from & seem to be more expensive than the larger batteries I believe that Bailey have reduced the box size from those fitted in the S3 I do wonder why when a lot batteries on the market are too big?

Does sound crazy and I've recently purchased a 105 amp Numax battery at 220cm . . The only reasons I can think of in fitting a smaller battery box is weight, ground clearance or cost :blink::blink:

Low Height Lead equivalent Platinum  100 Ah battery - http://www. gooutdoors. co. uk/platinum-lb6110l-100ah-leisure-battery-p342329

Platinum 100 Ah AGM Battery http://www. gooutdoors. co. uk/platinum-agm-100ah-leisure-battery-p367638

https://www. tayna. co. uk/Low-Height-110Ah-Leisure-Batteries-G434. html

Edited by Silverback
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dougb said:

Go outdoors is quoting that battery at £200 but they doing a deal at @ £155 😱

1 hour ago, a18041967 said:

Looks like more expense, haven’t been made aware that the battery won’t fit, transfer from Pegasus II to new S4 Valencia, current battery is:

https://www. acdctv. co. uk/product/power/lucas-supreme-xv-leisure-batteries/

which is 24cm high.

Yes we have only just found out after ordering an S4, our present battery is 260mm high fitted to our S2

3 hours ago, Silverback said:

Does sound crazy and I've recently purchased a 105 amp Numax battery at 220cm . . The only reasons I can think of in fitting a smaller battery box is weight, ground clearance or cost :blink::blink:

Low Height Lead equivalent Platinum  100 Ah battery - http://www. gooutdoors. co. uk/platinum-lb6110l-100ah-leisure-battery-p342329

Platinum 100 Ah AGM Battery http://www. gooutdoors. co. uk/platinum-agm-100ah-leisure-battery-p367638

https://www. tayna. co. uk/Low-Height-110Ah-Leisure-Batteries-G434. html

Thanks for the information with these sizes they are going to be a very sung fitting in the box, our box is under the island bed going to fun leaning over the bed side to put the battery in the box, have to watch the back lifting it in.

2 hours ago, Glynnis said:

Thanks for the information with these sizes they are going to be a very sung fitting in the box, our box is under the island bed going to fun leaning over the bed side to put the battery in the box, have to watch the back lifting it in.

Just been down to look at the demo Unicorn IV again, didn't take a tape measure but at a glance the battery box seems deep, with the terminal insulation covers standing quite tall, but I'll stick with the recommended battery size and just have to sell the Numax . .. We're lucky with the Valencia,  the battery box is in the walkway but your right folks will have to be careful leaning over furniture to position their batteries.

• Like 1

We've also been  back to check the battery box and measured the internal size and there's some flexibility, it's worth noting that the box is bigger at the top an tapers down and is smaller at the bottom, There's also a plastic tray in the bottom for securing the battery, the sizes below are based on the plastic tray.

·         Width: 200mm

·         Length: 365mm

In terms of battery types what differentiates a good battery from an OK battery?  I've seen class A & C is there a B, obviously the AMP's is important along with warranty? Currently I have a Lucas Supreme been good and I can buy the same make/model for £90 and includes 3 year warranty. The Platinum are £105? 

Edited by a18041967
  • Like 2

On 04/11/2017 at 08:24, Glynnis said:

We have ordered a Unicorn S4 Cartagena having seen a post on a Facebook page about someone having to get a new 12v leisure battery when he collected his S4 because his current one was too big, I emailed Bailey to ask the size of the battery box (see below) we have checked the height of our battery it’s is 260mm so to big we will need to buy a new one, it is coming up 5 years old so maybe due for a replacement.

Has anyone who have taken delivery of an S4 had to buy a new leisure battery?

Their reply 

We are pleased to clarify that the usable space in the battery box within Unicorn IV models is as follows:

·         Width: 175mm

·         Length: 358mm

Yes, I exchanged our Pegasus Ancona to a unicorn s4 and had to splash out on a new battery, not impressed, another£100 and no explanation. Now with the grab handle issue, not impressed.☹️

• Like 1