Sign in to follow this  
Les Medes

2018 VIP Coachman Range

Whilst at the NEC last week I had a closer look at the front lockers on the 2018 VIP, my question is " where am I going to keep my brushes ?  a member of the Coachman staff not a Salesman looked at me in belief. and for this reason we will not be changing our van in 2018, laugh as much as you want, but this is a serious issue as the space has been reduced significantly 

Hi Les, I actually raised this point on the factory tour but it seems as if the trade off being the fact that the front drawers being able to be pushed further back thus giving more internal space, was the biggest priority.

I agree with you, but the upside is that it looks so much better inside.

have you not thought that if you fasten a piece of 4 inch soil pipe underneath the caravan widthways with a stop end at one end and a screw cap at the other, similar to the one you see on a plumbers van, then you could store long poles in there?.......Peter

13 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Whilst at the NEC last week I had a closer look at the front lockers on the 2018 VIP, my question is " where am I going to keep my brushes ?  a member of the Coachman staff not a Salesman looked at me in belief. and for this reason we will not be changing our van in 2018, laugh as much as you want, but this is a serious issue as the space has been reduced significantly 

Yes, this is also one of the reasons we are also underwhelmed by this development.   I currently keep a large bucket, sponges, toilet chemicals, watering can, waste and freshwater hoses, box of rigid waste fittings, steady winder and motor mover lever in the front.   That lot is never going to easily go into the smaller left hand locker on the new model.    The 520/4 layout has always had a large open and airy feel to the main living area and, along with the dedicated, dinette area, was the reason we opted for it in the first place over the fixed bed layouts.    From the plans and dimensions I have seen the new front end and consequent tradeoff of the front locker for more internal space certainly seems to benefits the other layouts more than the 520/4.    Regrettably, we were not able to get to the NEC this year but the other concern we have from looking at the plans is the size of the hanging space in the redesigned rear bathroom vs our current model.   Any views from those that have seen it?

2 hours ago, Stockcroft said:

Yes, this is also one of the reasons we are also underwhelmed by this development.   I currently keep a large bucket, sponges, toilet chemicals, watering can, waste and freshwater hoses, box of rigid waste fittings, steady winder and motor mover lever in the front.   That lot is never going to easily go into the smaller left hand locker on the new model.    The 520/4 layout has always had a large open and airy feel to the main living area and, along with the dedicated, dinette area, was the reason we opted for it in the first place over the fixed bed layouts.    From the plans and dimensions I have seen the new front end and consequent tradeoff of the front locker for more internal space certainly seems to benefits the other layouts more than the 520/4.    Regrettably, we were not able to get to the NEC this year but the other concern we have from looking at the plans is the size of the hanging space in the redesigned rear bathroom vs our current model.   Any views from those that have seen it?

The rear washroom is so cramped versus our 2014 model, the only benefit for us is the shower is larger than ours

We are very keen on the inside of the VIP 575 and like the outside styling better as well,of course this is a subjective view and everyone has their own views,there is no right or wrong! As far as the front lockers, when we travel we only carry one small gaslight bottle. watering can and couple of levelling ramps in there. When we arrive we unload the car and put lots into front till we move, we think we could manage with these lockers, the wash brush is kept under fixed bed, but as I said we all have different views.

12 hours ago, Stockcroft said:

the new front end and consequent tradeoff of the front locker for more internal space certainly seems to benefits the other layouts more than the 520/4.

I agree and it's a major factor in our order of a VIP575.

Mick

The 575 was the best seller last year exceeding all expectations.

Looks like its layout is going to be a winner this year too!......Peter

Hi Chaps, We have ordered the 2018 VIP 575 too, moving from the 2016 VIP 560.   

Having had the side bed layout on the 560/2016, we decided the bed coming out from the side with space either side, a better option.   Also liked that the sofas are now longer due to the change of the front locker, to two separates ones.

Thought it was best to jump up now to the newer model than leave for a few years more, when the price difference will be greater. Well that my excuse, and that's what I'm telling my other half. :-) 

• Like 1

Anyone taken delivery of a 2018 VIP 575 yet, and if so what do you think of it.

Consider towing with a van, it has many plus points, storage a massive one.

On 02/01/2018 at 09:16, fordsmaxer said:

We reviewed the ALL NEW VIP 575 yesterday, and was well impressed. Provisional reservation on the proviso that we had a final inspection during the dealer Open Weekend, that’s when they will have the van fully powered up with Heating / Lights etc.

one observation we had was the overhead locker lighting doesn’t appear to have a dimmer control switch, only direct switching On/Off. Does anybody no differently?

PapaT

55 minutes ago, PapaT said:

We reviewed the ALL NEW VIP 575 yesterday, and was well impressed. Provisional reservation on the proviso that we had a final inspection during the dealer Open Weekend, that’s when they will have the van fully powered up with Heating / Lights etc.

one observation we had was the overhead locker lighting doesn’t appear to have a dimmer control switch, only direct switching On/Off. Does anybody no differently?

PapaT

If it is the same as our 2015 VIP, then when you click the switch on you keep it down which dims/brightens when you reach the lighting required let go of the switch, clicking and letting go turns on/off.

• Like 1

We have a VIP 575 2015 model and yes that’s how we control the locker Lights. But the new 2018 model is a switch on/Off 

• Like 1

Do any of you lucky new 575 VIP owners have any feedback on how they are to live with? After a disastrous time with two rejected Lunars last year, I'm coming back to coachman. Our 12 year old pastiche was a brilliant van (wish we'd kept her) but I'm currently debating splashing out on a brand new 575 VIP or going for a 2-3 year old Pastiche (and save a good few thousand pounds)!

We picked our VIP575 up on the 5th March, have done a couple of weekends away and are enjoying it hugely. We changed from a VIP460/2 to the 575 because it's a better layout for the way we caravan now we are both retired and we're thinking we'll use the porch awning less than previously due to the larger 'van.

It's early-days yet but the solidity and quality of our previous (2015) 'van meant another Coachman was inevitable when we changed. The 2 berth had 1 problem in the 3 years we had it (fridge controller board) picked-up on service and dealt with under warranty and this one was immaculately presented on handover and everything works.

The weather prevented the paintseal treatment being applied prior to delivery so we took it on the due date and then dropped it back to the dealers after the first trip. The only minor issues we had were 1) the sliding door to the bathroom had a 'stickiness' when closed and this was adjusted and is now fine. 2) The BCA main electrics panel was giving me 'warnings' about the car being connected and battery 'overvoltage' (the car supplies 14. 5v) so I turned off both of these using the panel menu. The dealer followed-up (with BCA) on the 'overvoltage' and has told me the voltage threshold setting can be changed (by them) but I've agreed it will be done as-and-when the 'van goes in for any other reason - first service I hope!

When towing the van seems very well balanced (fore and aft) running  with 90-95kg on the nose which I'm finding easy to achieve. We went for the solar panel as an optional extra (we rally quite a bit) and this came with the weight upgrade to 1700kg so I've got a load margin of 181kg which is sufficient.

So - so far so good and hoping to wear this one out like most of our previous 'vans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We picked ours up yesterday, although we have been caravaning for  good number of years this is the first coachman we have tried. The build quality appears superb (time will tell) the two front side lockers are really sturdy with excellent fittings we are just having  to think differently about what we store in the left one. However, we have all the usual chemicals, waste pipe, water pipes etc  with the aqua-roll handle split stored in the left one and two full size bottles in the right. Like Mickyjb I had no problem keeping the nose weight under the 100kg, currently with the way its loaded its registering just under 90KG this is without doubt the best and easiest balancing I have achieved in comparison to other vans I  have owned. My only gripe so far is when entering the van there is no immediate light switch unless I haven't found one yet. The hand over was excellent with only one fault this being  the radio  a new one is on order and very easy to replace. We have also experienced issues with the digitally controlled fridges so hoping they have finally mastered making the control panels to last.

We shall report further after using it for the first time this weekend but really looking forward to trying the van out.

Thank you both. .. That all sounds very positive indeed!! :Thankyou:

Well, I didnt take much convincing. .. went to have a look this afternoon and have put a deposit down on a brand new, dealer special, VIP 575!!! It's being built right now so can pick it up in the next couple of weeks. .. can't bl#*dy wait!!! The quality of the demonstrator was very impressive. .. I couldn't resist!

Back from the first weekend away in the new coachman. I said I would provide some comments on how it went. We picked the van up last  Wednesday  late afternoon leaving us with Thursday to set up  the van  and pack, bit of a rush as we seem to take masses of stuff with us. The gas bottles were the biggest problem as I use the gaslow bottles and had to modify previous  bracket which supports  the fill system, this stops  garages objecting to filling the bottles. However,  my better half had all the interior sorted, fridge set and packed ready for the off Friday morning.

Issues that maybe of interest.

Nose weight. In my previous van I opted  to carry one large gas cylinder and a little 3. 5kg to keep the weight down on the nose. So this was how I started loading the VIP.  I was amazed that the nose weight was just under 80KG so I switched the small bottle for a second 6KG. Caravan loaded with light equipment in the opposite locker, heavy stuff under the bed and at the end of all loading the nose weight was still at 90 KG, 10KG under max allowed. This has to be the easiest van I have owned  to maintain an acceptable nose weight.  

Towing.  The journey involves rural roads through local villages, including 30 mph and 50 mph limits so spent the first part of the journey gaining a feel for the van as its heavier than our previous unit. Motorway section for about 3-4 miles and back on to main route through Ribble Valley and over into Yorkshire. The van towed superbly with no issues both on out going journey and return.  The good news,  I was expecting the mileage to be much lower than when towing the previous unit as the coachman is much heavier. Outward journey 24. 6 miles to the gallon and return 23. 5. (I appreciate there are many factors which may affect  the average MPG) but I towed  as usual. This is on average 2mpg better than with previous van. It will be interesting to see how the set up works on a much longer journey.

Setting the van up on site No problems encountered everything appeared to work  as it should. The Alde heating, now they have moved the pump out of the wardrobe was superb ( that dam pump used to annoy  me)  no problems whatsoever with the new system.

Water system worked perfectly, however, I was not impressed with the shower and this certainly needs to be looked into as as the water went from freezing to boiling with no warning, I shall do more investigating on this topic later.

Cooker,    Loo  again no problems. Microwave decided to cut out after 15 minutes so again need to look into this,  it did come back on after a 10 minute rest.

You really have to make sure the fridge door is shut or the alarm will beep.

Radio I could not resist removing the radio especially as I found a forum where the same problem was highlighted that I was having  but a solution was also posted so thought it was worth a try.  The problem was  that you have no volume control or when you turn the volume control it just displays MUTE. Its a simple fix, when the radio was fitted, unfortunately, they had trapped a wire (coloured yellow with a mute tab attached) this in effect earthed the mute control, simply insulate the wire and refit the radio 5 minutes of a job, problem resolved.

Fixed bed although we both thought the bed was very hard we did have a good nights sleep but it is firm! this is all down to personal choice but we did like the fact the bed moved back for daytime use.

Lighting Really excellent we just left a window lamp on for our return to the van late evening but  still wished they had put a switch by the door.

Overall a very successful trip really enjoyed the van and now looking forward to many more outings, if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Good luck  to Craigy85 hope you enjoy your new purchase. If anyone has any ideas on the shower issue  please let me know I would welcome any solutions 

all the best for the new season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Modelhangar, that sounds very positive indeed and I'm glad to hear you've fixed your radio. .. always nice when it's something simple 😁! As for the shower, I didn't pay any real attention to the water inlet on the demonstrator but I believe it's a Whale Watermaster? If so, do you know if it's fitted with the intelligent controller? Seen a few reports about them needing calibrating. .. take a look at this thread:

On 25/03/2018 at 20:09, Modelhangar said:

Back from the first weekend away in the new coachman. I said I would provide some comments on how it went. We picked the van up last  Wednesday  late afternoon leaving us with Thursday to set up  the van  and pack, bit of a rush as we seem to take masses of stuff with us. The gas bottles were the biggest problem as I use the gaslow bottles and had to modify previous  bracket which supports  the fill system, this stops  garages objecting to filling the bottles. However,  my better half had all the interior sorted, fridge set and packed ready for the off Friday morning.

Issues that maybe of interest.

Nose weight. In my previous van I opted  to carry one large gas cylinder and a little 3. 5kg to keep the weight down on the nose. So this was how I started loading the VIP.  I was amazed that the nose weight was just under 80KG so I switched the small bottle for a second 6KG. Caravan loaded with light equipment in the opposite locker, heavy stuff under the bed and at the end of all loading the nose weight was still at 90 KG, 10KG under max allowed. This has to be the easiest van I have owned  to maintain an acceptable nose weight.  

Towing.  The journey involves rural roads through local villages, including 30 mph and 50 mph limits so spent the first part of the journey gaining a feel for the van as its heavier than our previous unit. Motorway section for about 3-4 miles and back on to main route through Ribble Valley and over into Yorkshire. The van towed superbly with no issues both on out going journey and return.  The good news,  I was expecting the mileage to be much lower than when towing the previous unit as the coachman is much heavier. Outward journey 24. 6 miles to the gallon and return 23. 5. (I appreciate there are many factors which may affect  the average MPG) but I towed  as usual. This is on average 2mpg better than with previous van. It will be interesting to see how the set up works on a much longer journey.

Setting the van up on site No problems encountered everything appeared to work  as it should. The Alde heating, now they have moved the pump out of the wardrobe was superb ( that dam pump used to annoy  me)  no problems whatsoever with the new system.

Water system worked perfectly, however, I was not impressed with the shower and this certainly needs to be looked into as as the water went from freezing to boiling with no warning, I shall do more investigating on this topic later.

Cooker,    Loo  again no problems. Microwave decided to cut out after 15 minutes so again need to look into this,  it did come back on after a 10 minute rest.

You really have to make sure the fridge door is shut or the alarm will beep.

Radio I could not resist removing the radio especially as I found a forum where the same problem was highlighted that I was having  but a solution was also posted so thought it was worth a try.  The problem was  that you have no volume control or when you turn the volume control it just displays MUTE. Its a simple fix, when the radio was fitted, unfortunately, they had trapped a wire (coloured yellow with a mute tab attached) this in effect earthed the mute control, simply insulate the wire and refit the radio 5 minutes of a job, problem resolved.

Fixed bed although we both thought the bed was very hard we did have a good nights sleep but it is firm! this is all down to personal choice but we did like the fact the bed moved back for daytime use.

Lighting Really excellent we just left a window lamp on for our return to the van late evening but  still wished they had put a switch by the door.

Overall a very successful trip really enjoyed the van and now looking forward to many more outings, if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Good luck  to Craigy85 hope you enjoy your new purchase. If anyone has any ideas on the shower issue  please let me know I would welcome any solutions 

all the best for the new season

The Daewoo microwave cuts out in our 575 we got on the 6 th of March, I think it become a common problem looking at reviews of them . The 560/4 we part exchanged for it had a Sharp microwave no problems in 4 years. Does your bathroom door catch on the upright due to it being bowed? The 575 has far better heating than the Truma fitted in the 560/4.

On 02/01/2018 at 09:16, fordsmaxer said:

We received ours on the 6 th of March. We find the seats and bed comfortable. The sliding door to the bathroom appears bowed on two showroom models and on ours rubs against the Woden upright causing it to be very stiff and breaking off some veneer after the first trip. The microwave cuts out within 15 mins of use,I suspect not enough ventilation.

I wished Coachman had fitted a Pastiche type door catch instead of the magnetic one .

The bathroom door is being replaced hopefully by a straight one .

Pastiche 575 and I have all of the above. I had thought the microwave issues were just us,and there is another thread about the sliding door issues concerning the roller hanger. With respect to the sliding door I think the door must move in transit causing the door restrainer to move. I have therefore drilled a domestic lock into the door actually locking it open in transit.

Bob what door has a magnetic catch? Surely not the sliding bathroom door.

The Bathroom door has a magnetic catch to hold it closed; as does the 'room-divider'. They're the only two I can think of.  

On 10/11/2017 at 14:09, Gadger65 said:

Hi Chaps, We have ordered the 2018 VIP 575 too, moving from the 2016 VIP 560.   

Having had the side bed layout on the 560/2016, we decided the bed coming out from the side with space either side, a better option.   Also liked that the sofas are now longer due to the change of the front locker, to two separates ones.

Thought it was best to jump up now to the newer model than leave for a few years more, when the price difference will be greater. Well that my excuse, and that's what I'm telling my other half. :-) 

We have just done exactly the same - a 2015 VIP 560 to a 2018 VIP 575. Due in June.