• Announcements

• BenF

Forum upgrade   12/10/17

Hi everyone, As you're probably aware, we've been in the process of upgrading the Caravan Talk forum software for a while. I can now confirm that the software has been upgraded and we're fully up to date. Please note that this new software is quite different in appearance and function, so may require a bit of relearning. We are in the process of refining the look, features and experience to make it a bit better and more familiar. If you spot any issues please let us know in the feedback forum. Unfortunately any posts between Monday morning and now have been lost. This is due to when the database snapshot was taken for the upgrade, this may also affect new members since then. We do apologise for this, but we have tried to keep disruption to a minimum. We are already aware and working on the following issues: PayPal payment issues for CT Supporters Forum design, lack of CT branding including colours Temporary loss of reviews databases Navigation bar needs refining We will keep this list up to date, so please check here before posting new updates, or to keep on tabs of our progress. The software was upgraded in order to provide you with a more secure, reliable, faster experience, whilst providing us with more tools to improve the features and options for the forum. Thank you for your continued support. Ben and the CT Team
yellkell

Alko bigfoot steady feet

The feet do indeed catch as happened to me with my Leda Malvern. Bounced over a bump in a field to feel the caravan ground at the back. The caravan feet had been replaced with a lot of soil and some tufts of grass. Children were sent to find the missing items and we replaced the broken pins with twigs and duct tape. Fortunately the drains on that van were behind the road wheels otherwise the damage might have been more extensive.

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 08:25, Les Medes said:

Totally agree, mine is sat in the garage gathering dust, very pricy, just as well buy the Milenco Guage at 20 plus quid, rather than seventy odd that I paid for the Alko version. same principle if you spend £2000 on a watch,   Aldi do one at £6. 99 and it does the same job 

It is not just a question of cost, but convenience too. That Milenco has fixed height, yet all hitches are not necessarily at the same height due to different main wheel sizes. It follows that even on level ground, a packing board may be needed since noseweight should always be measured with the van level. In that sense, the Milenco needs 'calibration' too, and that's 2 more things to remember/carry.

4 hours ago, shipbroker said:

I have three odds out of four for exactly that reason Paul!

geoff

Lost foot syndrome seems to happen with longer 'vans Geoff,  I've seen them make a bid for freedom on ferry ramps.   :)

Even more reason to buy the economy versions rather than the de-luxe versions!

John.

Edited by Leedslad

Indeed,but my 'vans have never been more than 5. 40. ....the most I ever paid was £9 and last time I went into a dealers the boxes only had three in them. ..£4!

geoff

On 25/10/2017 at 14:32, yellkell said:

I know what you mean. I have to push the back ones in with my foot. Maybe it's a bit tight. I'll check it out after a trip away.

Btw, I bought the jockey wheel online and saved a few quid. Hopefully the sales girl at the show didn't meet her target.  

our cruiser has bigfoot feet and has a spring load. when the feet touch the floor it self propells the foot level. no need to use a stick etc. plus they dont flap about when towing

Edited by smino0_1
  • Like 1

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 21:42, smino0_1 said:

our cruiser has bigfoot feet and has a spring load. when the feet touch the floor it self propells the foot level. no need to use a stick etc. plus they dont flap about when towing

Next time you are on a bit of slope, so a leg has to be lowered further, watch the foot as the tip contacts the ground. On hard standing it tends to dig in so the foot finishes up loaded at a slight angle - hence the stick for the last few centimetres.

For those not familiar, the Bigfoot pads are retained with stainless steel pins and all other fittings are stainless too - no nasty plastic bits here!  As mentioned, the spring keeps them horizontal, greatly reducing the risk of pad damage or loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisn7 said:

Next time you are on a bit of slope, so a leg has to be lowered further, watch the foot as the tip contacts the ground. On hard standing it tends to dig in so the foot finishes up loaded at a slight angle - hence the stick for the last few centimetres.

For those not familiar, the Bigfoot pads are retained with stainless steel pins and all other fittings are stainless too - no nasty plastic bits here!  As mentioned, the spring keeps them horizontal, greatly reducing the risk of pad damage or loss.

I dont need to extend the leg further is it has e and p self level. so does it all on its own. And drops 2 x axle jacks 2 x front and 2 x rear in pairs. so id have to have a really good stick.     ;)  also the  feet have a slot in them so they slide once they hit the floor. only ever been on h/s never been on grass yet.

On 22/10/2017 at 20:43, Paul_B said:

I thought I'd pushed the boat out buying some at a £1 a piece  :blink:

gallery_384_297_380404[1].jpg

That's not an Al-Ko big foot, they wouldn't fit on that standard 'steady'. I've got a set on my heavy duty steadies (they came as standard), I think they are very good as they save me crawling under the van with blocks of wood.

On 25/10/2017 at 15:32, yellkell said:

I know what you mean. I have to push the back ones in with my foot. Maybe it's a bit tight. I'll check it out after a trip away.

Btw, I bought the jockey wheel online and saved a few quid. Hopefully the sales girl at the show didn't meet her target.  

Are you sure you've fitted them the right way round? I don't need to kick mine into place.

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

That's not an Al-Ko big foot, they wouldn't fit on that standard 'steady'. I've got a set on my heavy duty steadies (they came as standard), I think they are very good as they save me crawling under the van with blocks of wood.

It certainly isn't :)

As I put earlier I wont use those with metal pins for fear of  them not shearing if they caught  on something

I don't see how they could catch?? :wub::blink:, they sit flush against the chassis under spring tension when stowed and the rear chassis frame has 'U' shaped metal grounding protection brackets on it (well, mine does). I've been using them for years, never had any problem with them 'catching'.

I can’t see how that would get caught 

D6B05B64-D536-4EAE-8E08-42F334F28229.jpeg

95778CAA-32A9-4888-BAE2-530E5D4CFEE4.png