• Announcements

• BenF

Forum upgrade   12/10/17

Hi everyone, As you're probably aware, we've been in the process of upgrading the Caravan Talk forum software for a while. I can now confirm that the software has been upgraded and we're fully up to date. Please note that this new software is quite different in appearance and function, so may require a bit of relearning. We are in the process of refining the look, features and experience to make it a bit better and more familiar. If you spot any issues please let us know in the feedback forum. Unfortunately any posts between Monday morning and now have been lost. This is due to when the database snapshot was taken for the upgrade, this may also affect new members since then. We do apologise for this, but we have tried to keep disruption to a minimum. We are already aware and working on the following issues: PayPal payment issues for CT Supporters Forum design, lack of CT branding including colours Temporary loss of reviews databases Navigation bar needs refining We will keep this list up to date, so please check here before posting new updates, or to keep on tabs of our progress. The software was upgraded in order to provide you with a more secure, reliable, faster experience, whilst providing us with more tools to improve the features and options for the forum. Thank you for your continued support. Ben and the CT Team
yellkell

Alko bigfoot steady feet

Just got back from the NEC show and thought I'd treat myself to the alko Bigfoot steady feet.   Nice item but expensive.

I also wanted the alko premium jockey wheel with gauge but when I asked the sale girl if she could price match an online shop which was £7 less I was a bit disappointed to hear her say  " buy it from them then " and walk off.   Thought it was a bit rude  especially as I had already spent £72 with them.   Didn't buy in the end.   Didn't expect that really .

I thought I'd pushed the boat out buying some at a £1 a piece  :blink:

gallery_384_297_380404[1].jpg

• Like 1

Hi Paul_B

Clue us in, where did they come from?

13 hours ago, bubble2015 said:

Hi Paul_B

Clue us in, where did they come from?

The feet from towsure, I've a back-up aldi set, but I made the blocks from packing styrofoam, when lorries came to pick up material from work they often dumped 8x4  sheets or part of so they could fit our product on the trailer.  I now make them so they can stack if needs be and they're very light.

I've given loads away and now the shocking part is that as the firm relocated, I'll have to buy some more sheet if I loose mine :(

DSC_0036 (1).JPG

• Thanks 1

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:27, yellkell said:

Just got back from the NEC show and thought I'd treat myself to the alko Bigfoot steady feet.   Nice item but expensive.

I also wanted the alko premium jockey wheel with gauge but when I asked the sale girl if she could price match an online shop which was £7 less I was a bit disappointed to hear her say  " buy it from them then " and walk off.   Thought it was a bit rude  especially as I had already spent £72 with them.   Didn't buy in the end.   Didn't expect that really .

I also fitted the Bigfoot feet. I'm slightly disappointed that when the leg is lowered, you need to press the foot down with a stick, otherwise the foot may not settle flat on the ground, particularly if the leg has to be lowered a long way

1 hour ago, chrisn7 said:

I also fitted the Bigfoot feet. I'm slightly disappointed that when the leg is lowered, you need to press the foot down with a stick, otherwise the foot may not settle flat on the ground, particularly if the leg has to be lowered a long way

I know what you mean. I have to push the back ones in with my foot. Maybe it's a bit tight. I'll check it out after a trip away.

Btw, I bought the jockey wheel online and saved a few quid. Hopefully the sales girl at the show didn't meet her target.  

Don't forget to calibrate the JW - I've seen people criticise it not realising this action is required.

22 hours ago, chrisn7 said:

Don't forget to calibrate the JW - I've seen people criticise it not realising this action is required.

chrisn7

Can you explain calibrating the JW please? 

I have no idea what this is about :blush:

Cheers,

John

Have no problem with our big feet sitting down flat to the ground.

Would imagine JW = jockey wheel

Mark

26 minutes ago, Sea&Sand said:

chrisn7

Can you explain calibrating the JW please? 

I have no idea what this is about :blush:

Cheers,

John

As this jockey wheel has a built in noseweight gauge I would think that it needs to be calibrated using another form of noseweight measurement in order to make it give an accurate reading.

Ian

• Thanks 1

I have one,it is rubbish and will be replaced by a conventional one.

Geoff

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tandem Man said:

As this jockey wheel has a built in noseweight gauge I would think that it needs to be calibrated using another form of noseweight measurement in order to make it give an accurate reading.

Ian

Thanks Tandem Man, that explains it, I should have read the relevant post carefully and picked up a clue :blush:.

Cheers,

John

6 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Geoff

Geoff,

Can you tell me what it is you don't like about that Jockey Wheel?

Thanks,

John

No, it is not calibrated like that. The hitch and JW are of course at different distances from the vans axle, so the recorded load at each point is different. You must make a decision as to which direction the JW will face, as this affects its contact point distance from the axle. I'll give my car / van as an example:

The maximum noseweight = 100 Kg

Wheels to hitch = 4200mm

Wheels to JW (in trailing position) = 3510mm

Maximum reading at the JW = 100 x 4200 / 3510 = 120Kg

I set a thin strip of red tape on the gauge so there is an easy quick view of the maximum allowable reading when the van is level of course.

There is nothing rubbish about it once you take the trouble to understand it. Being sprung as well its kinder to your van on bumpy surfaces too.

Edited by chrisn7

Just looked at the Alko product, a bit pricy at over 60 quid, I'll stick with my Quests

I am a caravanner,of 34 years, not a physicist. .even my dealer couldn't work out the calibrations,so brought his son into the  debate. .he couldn't either. ...........it didn't come with a handbook  according to the previous owner, a Maths Teacher. .....but he,like Chris had it 'sussed'...

Have never found it any better on rally fields than any other,so not convinced. ...it is also wider than previous models so more difficult to pull into slot under A frame. ......................urggggh don't get me started!

geoff 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I forgot to say during my defence of this JW that there is one design feature to beware. At the bottom of the main tube are 4 fingers that engage with the wheel yoke when its retracted.   These are rather long, so you have to ensure that the yoke is properly clear when manoevering with a mover as the fingers can actually be torn off!

On 10/26/2017 at 21:58, shipbroker said:

Geoff

Totally agree, mine is sat in the garage gathering dust, very pricy, just as well buy the Milenco Guage at 20 plus quid, rather than seventy odd that I paid for the Alko version. same principle if you spend £2000 on a watch,   Aldi do one at £6. 99 and it does the same job 

Edited by Les Medes

No Classifieds as yet since the new forum upgrade.

Wonder if shipbroker or Les Medes are interested in selling their Alko JW.

So happens I've wrecked a tyre on my JW.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thanks,

John

Never thought about it John I will admit, don't know if it would work in Glasgow! Have had some problems with the internal screw mechanism so wouldn't want that to pass onto another.

rgds

geoff

11 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Never thought about it John I will admit, don't know if it would work in Glasgow! Have had some problems with the internal screw mechanism so wouldn't want that to pass onto another.

rgds

geoff

Thanks Geoff, you are an honest and fair man.

On 26/10/2017 at 22:34, Les Medes said:

Just looked at the Alko product, a bit pricy at over 60 quid, I'll stick with my Quests

Yorkshire war cry coming on!         HOW MUCH ! ! !

John.   :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Leedslad said:

Yorkshire war cry coming on!         HOW MUCH ! ! !

Quite. ..mine cost £9 plus some bits of scaffold plank.

geoff

• Like 1

In my opinion one of the downsides of big-feet that use metal securing pins is when the feet catch, I've seen a few in the entrance to CL sites and at the start/end of the temporary trackway used at outside events, these must have caught and come off snapping the plastic pin in the process.  

It might never happen, however thinking of what could happen was the reason why I took my well made alloy ones off and fitted the standard cheap plastic type.

I have three odds out of four for exactly that reason Paul!

geoff