Cracked Front Window.

Picked up a 2 to 3 inch hairline crack on my front offside panel window on return from the highlands yesterday. Very annoying. The wee van is a 2008 or is 9 ? :blink: Anyway its minted apart from my wee cracked window. Will consider a replacement but not priority at this moment in time. Was thinking a thin film of silicon to keep the double glazed unit water tight as a temporary repair. ... What do you think ? 

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it spreading, I used araldite on my window and never ever replaced it or had to fix it again.

• Thanks 1

Drill the small holes as described above and then use acrylic adhesive, it's very watery, it will wick into the crack and chemically weld the acrylic back together. Any plastics company will be able to supply it.

5 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Drill the small holes as described above and then use acrylic adhesive, it's very watery, it will wick into the crack and chemically weld the acrylic back together. Any plastics company will be able to supply it.

Sounds like a better fix than araldite, wish I'd known about it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, aulvan said:

Sounds like a better fix than araldite, wish I'd known about it.

Araldite will only bond to the surface, Acrylic glue actually melts the plastic briefly and the whole lot fuses together. It is very fluid and will wick into a crack via capillary action. I have use it many times on Acrylic fabrications and it does form a very strong weld in seconds.

When you drill the hole use tape or a depth stop on the drill bit so that it does not travel too far through the window surface. That is to avoid getting swarf inside the DG unit.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I had some thing hit my front middle window in April 2016, I have not had it done yet & its never been a problem, not leaking or misting, getting it done in early 2018.

but at what cost? 

Coachman Platinum Pastiche 560/4

Santa Fe Premium 2. 2 CRDi manual 7 seat

Kampa Air Ace 400

• 3 years later...

For no apparent reason when recently towing on to a steep hill there was an almighty bang.   A 800mm crack appeared in both layers of the front window from the right hand corner to the middle. Thankfully I had Gaffa tape with me. There was no warning.

My Insurers advise this is a common design fault with Swift and Sprite single window units which stress and strain over time as the caravan bends and twists . They said this usually starts with a small crack in either corner although I did not see any crack(s) . A new window is £900 fitted. 12 weeks lead time.

Annotation 2021-08-16 102827.jpg

Annotation 2021-08-16 102848.jpg

Edited by Steve Reid 007
added insurers comments

• 2 years later...

Hi Steve Reid we had exactly the same problem - did your insurance cover the damage as ours was declined as it's a known fault in Sprite and swift caravans so excluded from cover - it certainly wasn't something the dealer we bought it from told us about so I thought it really unfair.  I argued quite a lot with insurance company as I feel that if insurance companies are aware then why isn't it listed with all the other exclusions 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sadly Steve hasn't been back since posting

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

18 hours ago, skhavis said:

Hi Steve Reid we had exactly the same problem - did your insurance cover the damage as ours was declined as it's a known fault in Sprite and swift caravans so excluded from cover - it certainly wasn't something the dealer we bought it from told us about so I thought it really unfair.  I argued quite a lot with insurance company as I feel that if insurance companies are aware then why isn't it listed with all the other exclusions 🤷🏻‍♀️

When was the caravan purchased from the dealer as the you now have proof from the insurer that the fault was there prior to purchase and the dealer would be liable under S9 of CRA 2018.