Sign in to follow this  
IanAud

Whale iVan Resets When Cooker Spark Ignition Used

Whilst owning our new van (Elddis Avante 586) for 5 months now I have only just diagnosed a fault I think it has had from day one. I have always suspected a problem with the Whale iVan control system but it is only recently we have been using the heating system where the fault was easy to diagnose.

The problems we have had are: finding the water heater off, when it was previously on, and the space heater turning itself off for no apparent reason. The last couple of times we have used the van I have set a timer to turn on the space heater prior to us getting up. The heater would start up run for some time then shut off before the set off time or temperature. It proved to be more than coincidental that this happened just as the other half was getting up and making her first brew up. It didn’t take much experimenting to find out that whenever the cooker (Thetford Aspire 2 ) spark ignition is used the iVan control system reboots like it was turned off then on again. I can replicate this consistently. I have also found that it does not do this if the touch screen display is illuminated.

I can think of a few reasons this maybe happening like: the cooker ignitor is faulty in that it causes interference on the 12v supply or is pulling the 12v supply low, the iVan itself is faulty or the van is incorrectly wired somewhere like a bad earth (this is my suspicion as first use I found the van to have a couple of electrical faults that I was able to fix myself namely the awning light not connected and one of the front running lights not connected – perhaps something else is not connected?). As a precaution we are not using the spark ignition in case the iVan gets damaged.

Now I know that this will need to be taken up with the dealer (oh joy) but before I do I intend to do a bit more diagnostics to try to pinpoint where the fault lies and if I can fix it myself. I wonder if anyone else has had any similar issues with a similar setup?

A classic example of old tech meeting new tech! You are almost certainly correct in your guess that the spark generator is interfering with the control panel. However, the cause and solution may not be so easy to find!

There are several possibilities:-

1. a poor earth connection.

2. faulty suppression on the spark generator.

3. faulty anti surge or shielding on the control panel.

Hi  did you ever find out the problem for this as my compass 2017 is doing the same with cooker ignision  I van is freezing up and cutting the boiler out

As the van was under waranty it first went back to the dealer. They could reproduce the fault but tried the "your holding the ignitor on too long" card. This I told them was not going to make me go away (All parties from this point on would try this on as the resolution, but I stood my ground).

The fault then go refered to Elddis who eventually admitted they could reproduce the fault in their factory and that it would be handed over to Whale and Thetford.

Thetford told Elddis there was nothing wrong with their cookers and the way Elddis had installed it. The problem was then left for Whale to "analyse". They eventually sent an engineer to replace the iVan unit and this cured the fault.

All this took just under 7 months to resolve. All the way I had to constantly be chasing Elddis for updates as they never would contact me.

You need to take this up with your dealer asap and not be fobbed off as, to me, this is now a "known issue" with some iVan setups. Good luck.

Very interesting. If the 'reset' was due to anomalous data, the spark generator may very well be the cause - sparks create a very broad spectrum EMI pulse. Ferrite cores on the data lines and/or twisted data-pairs would be the likely solution.

12 hours ago, IanAud said:

As the van was under waranty it first went back to the dealer. They could reproduce the fault but tried the "your holding the ignitor on too long" card. This I told them was not going to make me go away (All parties from this point on would try this on as the resolution, but I stood my ground).

The fault then go refered to Elddis who eventually admitted they could reproduce the fault in their factory and that it would be handed over to Whale and Thetford.

Thetford told Elddis there was nothing wrong with their cookers and the way Elddis had installed it. The problem was then left for Whale to "analyse". They eventually sent an engineer to replace the iVan unit and this cured the fault.

All this took just under 7 months to resolve. All the way I had to constantly be chasing Elddis for updates as they never would contact me.

You need to take this up with your dealer asap and not be fobbed off as, to me, this is now a "known issue" with some iVan setups. Good luck.

Thanks for the Info will get on to them asap

Just a update to this. I had the I van panel replaced  on whale instution,works fine at the dealers. Soon as I was on site guess what it happened again. This time wife said oven won't light. Stuck my head in it was sparking on another cable  and a piece of the oven body. The cable had a small nick in it, i Wrapped some insulation tape round it and not had a problem since. So much for the dealer doing a full investigation.