Tape In The Awning Rail

Notice that a few vans have run a tape through the awning rail which I understand is to stop the black streak marks running down the side of the van. Anyone confirm that they actually work please?

Yes they do work .

if the roof is kept clean as well the streaks are not as bad .

Mike

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

Yes they do work .

if the roof is kept clean as well the streaks are not as bad .

Mike

+1

Also I leave in when towing.

Edited by Doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

+1

Also I leave in when towing.

Likewise. It works very well, particularly as my caravan, when not in use, stands with the near side lower than the offside. Just got to find a way to keep the back and front streak free now. :D

So that's what it was!!! A van on the site we stayed at last week had it on, they put it on after taking the awning down, and were leaving the next day. The black streaks drive me mad from windows mainly. Might have to have one of these. ...

Notice that a few vans have run a tape through the awning rail which I understand is to stop the black streak marks running down the side of the van. Anyone confirm that they actually work please?

Not only protects from blacks streaks but should also keep both awning rail channels wonderfully clear of the crud that accumulates in there. I bought a 12m length last Monday and, before inserting, cleaned out the channels with one of those small, dedicated brushes and a spray. Couldn't believe how much gunk came out - particularly the offside which doesn't have any awning.

+2 works well during storage/towing. ...

Does anyone have a problem with them moving ( slipping) when the van is being towed.

Does anyone have a problem with them moving ( slipping) when the van is being towed.

Nope. I drove down to the Dordogne and back again with no problems.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Works for me as well :D. Where our caravan is stored is at the end of a line of other caravans, and right next to llandi trees. Funnily enough we only get black streaks on the side away from the trees, so we only put the strip on that side. We don't have the streaks on the other three sides

Works for me as well :D. Where our caravan is stored is at the end of a line of other caravans, and right next to llandi trees. Funnily enough we only get black streaks on the side away from the trees, so we only put the strip on that side. We don't have the streaks on the other three sides

I knew there had to be a valid reason for leylandii trees to exist. Nice to know that they are useful to somebody in the scheme of things.

I have an awning nut in the channel on one side and a plastic rawlplug jammed in the channel on the other. ...no problem.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Additional question to add to my OP :-

I see some have the tape all the way round the channel and others across the top and it stops just below the corners. Any reason for the difference?

Cost perhaps . mine just go round the bends.

Mike

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

The black streaks come from the roof so you only need to protect the awning next to the roof. I only bought 12m of the tape and cut it to cover just the awning next to the roof.

Edited by warrenb

Additional question to add to my OP :-

I see some have the tape all the way round the channel and others across the top and it stops just below the corners. Any reason for the difference?

Comes in 12m lengths - cut in half, one piece either side!

Used it for a while to good effect.

Used stuff made of awning tape on my last few 'vans. Removed when towing as it moved very freely. Also tended to quite green, so needed cleaning once in a while, normally by dropping in a bucket of bleach then rinsing thoroughly.

Now have the more common plastic type, leave it for towing, never moves.

I just use the awning protector whilst the ‘van is at home in storage. It’s easy to remove and to replace and there’s no worries about it making a bid for freedom.

John.

I've bought a couple of types over the period, one type being a yellow narrow plastic material and the other being a fabric type material a couple of inches wide.

The wider one works best as the drips are well clear of the body but gets manky quicker.

The narrow yellow one looks neater but is prone to allowing some streaking by comparison.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Whilst worthwhile one problem associated with rain is just where the roof panels are joined. This was not a problem on the various Swifts we had but the Elddis has one roughly over toilet window and the other over the two front/side windows. This means a stream of water comes off the awning channel rubbers straight down. ...this can be negated by simply using some light plastic pieces ( ice cream container thickness) slid over the awning rubbers to create a gargoyle effect.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Rob Hall, on 06 Oct 2017 - 4:34 PM, said:

I knew there had to be a valid reason for leylandii trees to exist. Nice to know that they are useful to somebody in the scheme of things.

Yes, but problem is that you get a lot of rubbish on the roof :angry: