Sign in to follow this  
peterjohn

Has Anyone Had Problems With The Thetford Aspire 2 Grill?

The grill on my Coachman is a Thetford Aspire 2. Although the hobs and the oven work fine, the grill is pathetic.
I tried to make some some toast last week and it took forever.
I am about to complain to Thetford but wondered if anyone else had the same problem and what the remedy was. ....Peter
PS. For jobs read hobs. Predictive text strikes again. ...Peter

The grill on my Coachman is a Thetford Aspire 2. Although the jobs and the oven work fine, the grill is pathetic.

I tried to make some some toast last week and it took forever.

I am about to complain to Thetford but wondered if anyone else had the same problem and what the remedy was. . . ..Peter

PS. For jobs read hobs. Predictive text strikes again. . . .Peter

It's certainly not rapid but I put my two slices of toast on the grill in the morning when we sit down to have our wheatypops and, after a quick flip midway through the bowl, the toast is usually ready by the time i've finished. I'm far more chilled when away in the caravan and don't feel the pressure of time. I had initially wanted an electric toaster and kettle in the van but that was declined (along with a TV) by someone sitting not too far from where I am now! But I have to admit I enjoy the slower pace. And I quite enjoy the extended breakfasts now. Another factor is that I like to have a substantive slice of toast made from fresh local bread. The grill caters more for 'doorstep' man. So personally I'm quite happy with it. I have been known to hold the pan up towards the grill flame for 10secs or so when I want to chivy things along but probably not recommended by the H&S fraternity.

Yes its rubbish. Ours continually cuts out on start up as the flame on to the thermocouple takes a while to establish. When it finally keeps alight you have to leave it for 5 minutes to heat up or it just frightens the toast and dries it out.

Never used it for any serious cooking purpose.

• Like 1

This is an oft reported drawback of this model (along with the equally pathetic oven!), but it is not, of course, a recognised 'fault' as they 'are all like it'. It is apparently beyond the ability of the designers to produce something that works acceptably, despite some previous models being far superior. Methinks penny-pinching is at work.
I seem to remember a mod. being available, if you complained enough, though as to it's potential benefit was not great.

• Like 1

We have difficulty lighting our grill, it normally takes several attempts to light it except when the van is being serviced at the dealership where apparently it always lights first time. When lit it, is not very good, we use a shallow inverted baking tray under the grill pan which my wife thinks improves it a bit.

We use an upturned baking tray too, however it still doesn't help much.

As for using it for anything else, well that's a non starter.

I have written an email to Thetford so we will see what happens, if I get nowhere, I will be talking to my Coachman dealer to see what they can do. .......Peter

Same problem we have the wife is not impressed with the grill and the oven, well we always add 20 mins onto cooking times now, we too enjoy the slower pace of the van and enjoy sitting at the dinette chatting over our meals

But we are still more than happy with the van, the wife says it is the warmest van we have had.

Isn't it funny how the van itself is great but the bits and pieces bought in are the things that let it down?

Funnily enough, our oven performs as good as the oven at home and we are so pleased with it, however we don't really expect too much from the grill as those we have had before never really worked that well but this one is sooo bad we feel we have to say something.

Looking on Google it seems that we are not the only ones and thank you to all on here that confirm that we are not the only ones with the problem.

If we all get together and complain to Thetford about this, maybe we can get something done. ...Peter

• Like 1

Same in my Swift. We have a small toaster we use as the grill is useless and my wife won't use it.

We also use the upturned baking tray method for toast (not that we have toast very often) and agree that the oven works well. The only problems we've had in the two years with our van are with outsourced parts (fridge and tap) and are very happy that the van structure is robust - unlike our previous Compass which started to fall apart after 2 years.

I wonder if problems with Thetford sourced items has lead to the decision to use Dometic for 2018 vans?

There was a long discussion on this on the Swift forum and I think also on this forum. The grill is pathetic and as a result we bought a small George Foreman grill for £19. 95. The price has now gone up. Lightweight, compact with low wattage and will work on sites with only 6 amp connections.

Just seems a pity that you have to spend money to overcome a serious design defect on a fitted appliance. Our previous Thetford MK1 had a brilliant grill plus the fan.

• Like 2

Yup our toaster is pants!!!

Brand new 2017 Swift Conqueror 560 just shy of £27000!

Cannot make toast on the grill!!!

1Design of grill means you cannot physically get a normal bit of bread under it!!

2 It takes forever to toast any bread you get under it!!

Bought a £19 electric toaster from Argos.

We found a trivet in Stainless Steel from Ikea that lifted the grill pan just the right amount so that it toasts before the bread goes stale. You still have to rotate the slices though as it is so uneven. All told a pretty poor design. Surely it is not beyond the bounds of designers/engineers to improve on it. Its been a common complaint for decades.

There was one grill that worked (for toast) a treat. It was in the 1959 caravan that my father purchased in 1960. The two burner / oven / and grill was made of vitreous coated cast iron. Weighed a ton but was still functioning perfectly when I passed it onto my relative in the 1980s Still is as far as I know. British design at its best ?

I can't cook but I have used the oven for my ' oven ready ' meals and found it wonderful.

Last weekend my wife was with me and she used the oven for making and cooking and not faulted it !

Grill ? can't rememember when I last used one .

We found a trivet in Stainless Steel from Ikea that lifted the grill pan just the right amount so that it toasts before the bread goes stale. You still have to rotate the slices though as it is so uneven. All told a pretty poor design. Surely it is not beyond the bounds of designers/engineers to improve on it. Its been a common complaint for decades.

There was one grill that worked (for toast) a treat. It was in the 1959 caravan that my father purchased in 1960. The two burner / oven / and grill was made of vitreous coated cast iron. Weighed a ton but was still functioning perfectly when I passed it onto my relative in the 1980s Still is as far as I know. British design at its best ?

The two burner was an Argyle Hotplate sold in many forms for decades as you describe designed and built to last forever reminds me of the flatpacked stove designed by Carron Ironworks of Bonnybridge and shipped in their thousands to America for use by the pioneers crossing the vast interior heading west.

I wonder how many covered wagons were burned down by this woodburning stove.

What is annoying that carrying a toaster and a separate grill although they do not weigh much they do take away some of your payload.

• Like 2

What is annoying that carrying a toaster and a separate grill although they do not weigh much they do take away some of your payload.

Absolutely right, and also the fact that it is not strictly fit for purpose.

I am still awaiting a reply from Thetford, I will let you know their reply. ....Peter

Perhaps this thread should be re-titled:

Has Anyone not Had Problems With The Thetford Aspire 2 Grill?

No, I'm not joking.

Edited by micktheshed
  • Like 3

No, I'm not joking.

:goodpost::D

• Like 3

No, I'm not joking.

Anyone?.......Surely there must be someone, then again. ......

• Like 1

I have still not had a reply from Thetford yet. .....Peter

I have still not had a reply from Thetford yet. . . .. . Peter

Perhaps they will have a stand at the NEC show?

We could all form a line brandishing bits of inedible dried out toast?

• Like 3

Thetford (Spinflo) have just been in touch.

They recommend that the grill be warmed up between 5 and 8 minutes before use.

They also want to know the serial number of my unit.

I have referred them to this website so they can read for themselves how many people are having problems with the grill. ....Peter

• Like 2

Thetford (Spinflo) have just been in touch.

They recommend that the grill be warmed up between 5 and 8 minutes before use.

They also want to know the serial number of my unit.

I have referred them to this website so they can read for themselves how many people are having problems with the grill. . . ..Peter

Yes, that's what we find is needed to get anything out of it. Seems a lot of gas to waste each time though.

BTW: has anyone experience/comments of the Dometic offering? I'm starting to look for a smaller replacement for my Valencia mk1 & don't want something less practical than I've already got (Thetford Mk3 Midi Prima, ie, rebranded & cheapened Spinflow). This actually works very well (when it's not eating thermocouples!).

The one thing I don't want to risk doing is changing to something with designed-in faults (some hope LOL). This seems an all-too common problem on present offerings. Why is it that today's appliances all seem to have reliability & practicality designed out. A few less gimmicks & a lot more of the forgoing might be a backward step in some peoples eyes, rather than an improvement, but this wont happen anyway whilst the bean counters rule OK.