Sign in to follow this  
aulvan

No Number Plate

Saw a caravan parked in the street which had no number plate on it.

Does a caravan need a number plate when parked on the road with no car attached?

Obviously with a car attached it has its number, but is there a legal requirement for it to be associated with a vehicle?

I don't think so.

Saw a caravan parked in the street which had no number plate on it.

Does a caravan need a number plate when parked on the road with no car attached?

Obviously with a car attached it has its number, but is there a legal requirement for it to be associated with a vehicle?

Yes.

I don't think so.

+1

More to the point, afaik I don't think a caravan should be parked on a public road when not attached to a car, so the lack of a number plate would be irrelevant.

This is based on the fact that a work colleague was given 72 hours to remove his caravan from the road outside his house.

John

Think this may be a "Grey" area. No object, be it a skip, caravan or trailer should be parked on a public road overnight without front & rear lights lit. Unless causing an obstruction or danger, I can't see how it's illegal to park on road.

If it's not attached to a tow vehicle why would it need a number plate?

It only needs lights at night if the road speed limit is over 30 mph and I don't think it needs a number plate as it is not a registered vehicle .

It would be covered by usual parking regulation like not a obstruction or parked near a junction and parked the correct way round so the rear reflectors face on coming traffic

Personally I think it should be illegal to leave a uninsured road vehicle which a trailer is classified as in law on a public highway and you should have at least third party liability . What if the brakes gave way and it run off and caused a major accident and no insurance .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

As far as I'm aware there is no legal right to park on the highways unless it's in a designated parking space.

As said above, if it's on a road without a 30mph limit then it needs lights and it can be removed if it's causing an obstruction or danger to other road users

Think this may be a "Grey" area. No object, be it a skip, caravan or trailer should be parked on a public road overnight without front & rear lights?

Agree with that. Where I live it is not permitted to leave a skip in the road without a permit from the County Council (the skip company has to get this and add the cost onto the skip hire). It seems reasonable to me. As for parking a caravan in the road or on the grass verges, I think it's just not on.

As far as I'm aware there is no legal right to park on the highways unless it's in a designated parking space.

As said above, if it's on a road without a 30mph limit then it needs lights and it can be removed if it's causing an obstruction or danger to other road users

It still needs lights in a 30 MPH limit area.

knarf

It still needs lights in a 30 MPH limit area.

knarf

only required on roads over 30 mph same as cars . rule 249

https://www. gov. uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

only required on roads over 30 mph same as cars . rule 249

https://www. gov. uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252

Dave

Incorrect.

Rule 250

Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 2500 kg laden weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are:

• at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
  • in a recognised parking place or lay-by.

Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.

knarf

As I said if it is park the correct way round and parked at the side of the road and does not have a projecting load it is perfectly legal .

Millions of cars are parked on the public highway in 30 mph roads with no lights .

Although the regulations don't state it is illegal I think it is .

Under construction and use a caravan is classified as a road vehicle and under the road traffic act it states that a road vehicle requires a minimum of third party liability to be on a public highway . When being towed the trailer is cover by the towing vehicle insurance because of insurance liabilities in the RTA but when the trailer is not connected to a vehicle it is not covered under a third party liability so contravenes the RTA if it is on a public highway .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

• I think Knarf's post shows what the law requires as far as lighting is concerned. As far as insurance is concerned, I cant think of any likely circumstances where there would be third party risk. A caravan or a trailer is not driven, so its pretty unlikely to crash into another vehicle or knock a pedestrian over.

The rule clearly states all other vehicles and trailers must not be left on a road at night without lights, not just those with projecting loads.

Cars can legally park at night in a 30 zone without lights.

A Caravan is classified as a trailer and as such does not require third party insurance.

knarf

• Like 1

I hope this can provide some clarity to the legal speculation.

1) It's a trailer not a motor vehicle. It does not require a number plate because it cannot be registered for one of it's own (unlike other European countries). Also, some trailers are towed by a number of different motor vehicles. Only when attached to a motor vehicle must it display the registration number of the towing vehicle.

2) The Road Traffic Act requires motor vehicles to be insured, not road vehicles. e. g. A bicycle is a road vehicle. The two terms have different legal definitions as does Highway, Carriageway and Road. .

3) If left on the road at night it must display lights regardless, including when it is attached to a motor vehicle. Speed limit has no effect except for solo cars, small vans, motor cycles and pedal cycles. e. g. A motor home with a MAM exceeding 2500Kgs must display lights at night, even in a 30mph limit.

4) Technically the caravan in question is an obstruction but then so is anything parked on a road although legally parked motor vehicles are accepted.

5) All skips require a local authority permit to be left on a highway and must display lights at night. They must also display certain information.

6) The Highway Code is a code of practice and not legislation therefore not enforceable in it's own right. However, breaches of the code are good evidence in road traffic law prosecutions (and insurance claims).

• Like 3

" The Highway Code is a code of practice and not legislation therefore not enforceable in it's own right. However, breaches of the code are good evidence in road traffic law prosecutions (and insurance claims). "

If the rule is marked must/must not then a breach of that rule is legally enforceable as is the case with trailers required by law to be lit at night.

knarf

Edited by KNARF

I hope this can provide some clarity to the legal speculation.

1) It's a trailer not a motor vehicle. It does not require a number plate because it cannot be registered for one of it's own (unlike other European countries). Also, some trailers are towed by a number of different motor vehicles. Only when attached to a motor vehicle must it display the registration number of the towing vehicle.

2) The Road Traffic Act requires motor vehicles to be insured, not road vehicles. e. g. A bicycle is a road vehicle. The two terms have different legal definitions as does Highway, Carriageway and Road. .

3) If left on the road at night it must display lights regardless, including when it is attached to a motor vehicle. Speed limit has no effect except for solo cars, small vans, motor cycles and pedal cycles. e. g. A motor home with a MAM exceeding 2500Kgs must display lights at night, even in a 30mph limit.

4) Technically the caravan in question is an obstruction but then so is anything parked on a road although legally parked motor vehicles are accepted.

5) All skips require a local authority permit to be left on a highway and must display lights at night. They must also display certain information.

6) The Highway Code is a code of practice and not legislation therefore not enforceable in it's own right. However, breaches of the code are good evidence in road traffic law prosecutions (and insurance claims).

Where does it state a trailer must have lights in a 30 mph ? The regulations only state greater than 30 mph .

Skips need lights as they have no reflectors .

Dave

Where does it state a trailer must have lights in a 30 mph ? The regulations only state greater than 30 mph .

Skips need lights as they have no reflectors .

Dave

Rule 250 clearly states it!!

knarf

Edited by KNARF

Rule 250 clearly states it!!

knarf

Only if parked with in 10 meters of a junction or a PROJECTING load which a caravan would not have .

Dave

IT doesn't say that at all, it says :

Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.

knarf

Only if parked with in 10 meters of a junction or a PROJECTING load which a caravan would not have .

Dave

Read it again - Other vehicles and trailers, AND (not just) all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.

" The Highway Code is a code of practice and not legislation therefore not enforceable in it's own right. However, breaches of the code are good evidence in road traffic law prosecutions (and insurance claims). "

If the rule is marked must/must not then a breach of that rule is legally enforceable as is the case with trailers required by law to be lit at night.

knarf

The Highway Code is not legally enforceable because it is not legislation it is a code of practice I know because I'm suitably qualified and experienced and I practice as well as teach law. However, as I said, it is good evidence for use in prosecutions and insurance claims.

• Like 2

The Highway Code is not legally enforceable but parts of it are as I posted.

According to Gov. UK :

Quote:

"Many of the rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence."

knarf

Edited by KNARF

https://www. askthe. police. uk/content/Q386. htm

Interesting is it would mean some 4x4 vehicles are over 2500 kg so would require lights at night .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Pretty much what has already been said,it is illegal to park a trailer on the road at night without lights.

knarf