Sign in to follow this  
djadria

Series 9 Fridge - Vent Catch Position

Hi has anyone toured with series 9 fridge in vent catch position - is it safe?

Ta

DJ

Why would you do that. I certainly wouldn't.

Close the door properly and make sure it's locked unless you want it flying open and falling off it's hinges.

Have to agree with Dave. Why?

Because switching it off as empty but wet after use and a 10 hour tiw might start mould?

Because switching it off as empty but wet after use and a 10 hour tiw might start mould?

Couldn't you wipe it down with a dry cloth before towing ?

That's what SWMBO does.

Ian

I have to agree. Dry it out by wiping round with a few T towels or kitchen roll. Leave it back on vent when you stop.

Wow. ..does mould start growing after 10 hours on water?. ......said very tongue in cheek :P:lol:

We travel with it closed tight and then on arrival at storage we leave the fridge wide open with the awning holding the door open.

This prevents any mould build up in storage.

Thanks guys!

Open the door when you have arrived. You will not get mould after 10-12 hours or even a day. Wipe the interior of the fridge with bicarbonate of soda or we use anti-bacterial kitchen wipes. They don't leave a smell and keep the fridge nice and clean.

The latch does not hold the door securely when in the ventilation position.

My 9331 fridge appears to have no vent position, so we just place towels to keep the freezer door open and the main door.

Have a look at the cach striker plate on the fidge side - mines got a white plastic hinged bit that pulls out and swings towards you which allows the door catch to locate and hold the door in a semiclosed state.

You just swing it back to normal when yoy want to close the door properly.

The white plastic vent catch is very flimsy and will break if used while travelling. This catch together with the small defrost water collection container and the breaking shelves are the three weak points in a very good fridge, that should have been found during development.

• Like 1

Have a look at the cach striker plate on the fidge side - mines got a white plastic hinged bit that pulls out and swings towards you which allows the door catch to locate and hold the door in a semiclosed state.

You just swing it back to normal when yoy want to close the door properly.

Thanks I'll have another look, could be mine is missing.

Its not the easiest fridge door to open either.

Generally you only need to "latch" the fridge door when travelling, the magnetic seal us usually all you need when the fridge is in use - just like the one at home.

We did have a problem when we first got our van (during it's shakedown) whereby the pull handle on the door wasn't retracting the latch bolt sufficiently far to disengage it from the striker plate and it needed a very sharp tug to pull it open - the dealer replaced it while we waited (we had already phoned him to make sure he had the bits available).

We've had no problems since then - the van is about 30 months old ad get's about 80-100 nights a year usage. Although we did break a door shelf when my wife left a bottle of wine in one earlier this year. My theory is that soft stuff is fine, even plastic milk bottles (we've travelled 1000's of miles with three 2 pint milk bottles in one, without mishap) but heavy glass bottles just act like a hammer when the van is travelling, especially on some of the leess than flat roads that we have in the UK, so it's best to carry hard heavy items somewhere other than the fridge door shelves. .

I find it hard to persuade my wife to pack stuff so it can't slide around - even in the fridge. A couple of glass jars sliding about on an otherwise empty shelf can wreak havoc if not restrained.

Xtrailman, have you had a look at the catch on the side of the fridge? Ours has a white piece of plastic that hinges out from the metal part ant then locks into place to hold the door partially open. Be careful though it is quite flimsy and will break quite easily especially if you do not release the door latch fully before you pull the door open - I speak from experience.

Sorry all just read the previous posts that already cover this.

Edited by Vanning Man

Well having looked i only have the metal catch, no plastic, I suspect its always been missing.

I'll also have another look at how the catch is retracting, but I remember demo models being the same hard to open, wife complained on the last tour, but some silicon spray seemed to sort it out.

Slight thread diversion but this fridge seems to be perfectly ok for cooling when its not so warm, but any sun and it seems to struggle, its also getting warm when towing, despite the fact that shift command says I'm getting 13. 4 volts from the car!.

I also don't see the logic of placing it next to the door, that's the side we always park up on site to get the south aspect, if possible, we don't have an awning so no issue there.

Having looked at the on line manual for the fridge I understand what I should have, but yes its missing.

Our latch mechanism on the Cadiz broke a while back.

Whilst in storage I just pull the salad drawer out which keeps the door open and wedge the freezer open with a large wooden spoon.

post-41054-0-49862400-1506093133_thumb.jpg

Ian

Matelodave, we also do not travel with anything in the door bins but after our first trip found that items on the main shelves had moved and some had fallen into them.

I stopped this by using some thin plastic chopping boards from Lidl, cut them in half and wedged them at the front of the shelves

They are just the right size to go into the return on the shelf above and rest behind the upstand of the shelf they are protecting.

Sounds quite complicated but it isn't. Will post photos when I can.

Edited by Vanning Man
  • Like 1

Hey - conclusion - after all the tips - door still attached - 10 hour tow - no mould! ;)))

• Like 1