Sign in to follow this  
Omega54

Been To The Southampton And Bought A Boat

Fantastic boat show again this year. Huge selection of boats and watercraft. As my wife and I have sailed yachts in many places in Europe and also the BVI there was much to see. Looked at a Sunseeker at £5 million but it wouldn't fit on the roof rack so had to knock it back. However we have sailed dinghys in the past, additionally I do enjoy a spot of fishing. So when we spotted a collapsible wooden boat that weighs only 37kgs we were hooked (sorry). It has a small main sail and an equally small jib so I don't think it will set any records, it comes complete with oars and a reinforced rear panel to take an outboard motor. It seats 4 comfortably and folds down to 3. 15 m x 0. 56 m x 0. 13 m for easy transportation on a roof rack or I guess it could be put inside a caravan if you have the load margin. List price is £2350 plus delivery. We bought the show boat fos £2000 inc. delivery. The company are called Seahopper, I believe they have been around for some time but they were new to me.

www. seahopperfoldingboatscom

Should be a lot of fun.

Just need an outboard now.

• Like 1

Looks great, what size of outboard would you fit? and i understand you can get electric ones, no knowledge of the subject but i would love something like that at my place in Spain as we are right by the Mar Menor and that would be perfect!

Phil.

Looks great, what size of outboard would you fit? and i understand you can get electric ones, no knowledge of the subject but i would love something like that at my place in Spain as we are right by the Mar Menor and that would be perfect!

Phil.

Looked at electric outboards at the show and again on eBay when we got home. Fantastic one at the show for £1500! But I have seen them on eBay for around £600.

Not sure what power would be suitable but thinking of 4-5 hp or equivalent electric.

Edited by Omega54
  • Like 1

I am looking at this, it gives 30lbs of thrust, which means nothing to me, what do you think?, it says it should run for 2 hrs on a 110 deep cycling leisure battery.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Yamaha-Minn-Kota-M-12-Electric-Outboard-Motor-Engine-Trolling-Thruster-Boat-30lb-/172850280636?hash=item283eadf8bc:m:mVaSiECV0Dtoc6_pSahfqjA

Phil.

Looks good to me but like you I'm no expert on outboard motors. I think some digging is called for.

Looks good to me but like you I'm no expert on outboard motors. I think some digging is called for.

Yeh, it transpires that not all of them are suitable for seawater!! never thought of that, more research!!

Phil.

• Like 1

Just had a look around tinternet, it appears that electric motors are only suitable for inland waters lakes and canals and have very real disadvantages. I think a 4 stroke petrol for me.

If you are thinking of one for Spain why not pop down to the show there are loads to choose from, all shapes and sizes, from small collapsible ribs, car top sailing dinghys to £8 million super yachts. It is very friendly and you can chat to the guys, get on board etc. Great day out and will give you many options. I love it.

Edited by Omega54
  • Like 1

Good advice, i am returning to Spain on Sunday, there is a boatyard and shop (chandlery is that the right word?) near to me, i think some further enqs will be in order, thanks for the advice however and planting the seed!!

Phil.

• Like 1

Had a 3. 2m Avon inflatable a bit back with a 4hp Mariner 2 stroke on the back.

Chugged along quite happily with just me in it but needed more up its sleeve when 2 or more in it especially when on the sea and tidal estuarys.

Should I ever have the same Avon again it would be at least a 6hp which the transom would have taken.

This was the chap.

post-1814-0-23176800-1505986045_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Had a 3. 2m Avon inflatable a bit back with a 4hp Mariner 2 stroke on the back.

Chugged along quite happily with just me in it but needed more up its sleeve when 2 or more in it especially when on the sea and tidal estuarys.

Should I ever have the same Avon again it would be at least a 6hp which the transom would have taken.

Useful to know Griff, thanks.

Phil.

Looks a big motor for only 4hp Griff, are they all that size?

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Did look quite proportional from the side, the big jumps in size come with the addition of an extra cylinder or moving from 2 stoke to 4 particularly in head cowl size.

• Like 1

You'll find a 6hp far too heavy, you probably sink it. My mates 23" foot sailing boat has a 6hp and it's a bit of a heave to get it on and off the transom.

I'd guess that 4hp is is about as big as the boat will accomodate. Check it's specifications they should have a suggested maximum load and max size of outboard. You might need a short shaft as well. You really need to go and handle one to see what they are like.

I use a 2. 5hp Mariner two-stroke on my 2. 2m flatey and I reckon I could turn it over if I was going full chat and tried a very sharp turn. A 2. 5hp four stroke is noticably heavier. ( I used to flog them when I helped out in a chandlers)

See this from the SeaHopper FAQ

Q: Please can you advise on the best outboard motor for your boats?

A: We do not actually sell outboard motors. We do advise, however, that the maximum size engine recommended for any of our boats is a 4hp (4 stroke) outboard engine. Any one of our 3 models will perform well with this. They are light and compact and have low emissions for you and the environment. We know there are many on the market to choose from, but would suggest that you go to a reputable dealer for more advice.

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, any views on the electric ones?

Phil.

The electric outboards are really for trolling. That's moving slowly in the water whilst pulling a fishing lure for predators like Pike or Zander. Electric outboards are no good for sea water as it's way to corrosive.

Maybe an old Seagull outboard would suit, they're reasonably light in comparison and are available with a short shaft if required. They can be picked up relatively cheaply from sites like motorboatsandoutboards. co. uk at a good price. The sites worth a good look also as it's stuffed to the gunwales with great boats. Always fancied a Hardy 24 fisher myself, just never lived near enough to the sea to do it.

You could always try one of these :)

Cheers Dave, Yup this was at the show also. When I tried it it seemed smoother than the one demonstrated in the video.

The video was shot by my mate, in the Marina at Burnham-on-Crouch and was probably the first or second one imported into this country so perhaps they've been a bit more refined since then.

I'd also guess that there's a lot more resistance to winding when it's in the water and pushing the boat along

Edited by matelodave

Thanks for this, interesting, although i did think it was a wind up at first!! (see what i did there?) :D:D:D

Phil.

Looks a big motor for only 4hp Griff, are they all that size?

Phil.

My engines got a bit bigger over time but so did hulls.

These two were on my Fletcher Arrowstreak ski boat and if we think our cars might be uneconomical, the Yamaha was rated at 9 gallons per hour WOT (wide open throttle)!

post-1814-0-16183700-1506157619_thumb.jpg

post-1814-0-91910400-1506157672_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow i bet that pushed you along a bit, what sort of speed could you get up with that beast?

Phil.

• Like 1

The Yamaha with a 21" pitch prop, 45 knots or so.

However as it was more about pulling power from a standstill, a 19" pitch prop was order of the day for skiing.

The Mariner 90, which was a 3 cylinder, was a mistake and was not up to the job of pulling me and my mate totalling 25 stone up from deep water mono trailing leg starts.

The Yamaha would rip us up out of the water but we were only talking 25 - 30 knots tops for mono skiing which is probably why my shoulder joints have had it now. :(

post-1814-0-24539600-1506201153_thumb.jpg ;)

Our boat arrived today, the Kondor, 3 metres long. Took around 5 mins to assemble the basic boat and a further 15 to put up the mast, rigging and sails. It's lovely. 38 kgs is a bit optimistic though, maybe for the basic boat but when you add the weight of the oars, mast, sails etc I'm guessing closer to 45. Still it's easy to transport on the roof rack. Gaff Rigged so it should be easy to sail. Going to try it out on a Sunday on Derwent reservoir assuming the weather is kind. Next year should be interesting, bikes, Seyvlor canoe, and now sailing/ fishing dinghy, can't wait!

Edited by Omega54
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this