xtrailman

Towing Myths

Interesting analysis.

Very clearly put and well written but nothing new.

• Like 3

A good and informative article which clarifies many misconceptions.

It is one of the best articles I've read on the subject. It should be printed in every club handbook and every handbook for a van. It should also be a requirement for anyone selling or servicing caravans, that they can repeat this verbatim and demonstrate they actually understand it.

Over the years I've been told more rubbish on this subject that I care to think about.

• Like 6

Excellent .

Phil.

Good article, thanks.

The nit picker(s) will be along shortly.

• Like 2

Well I'm happy I posted the link now, thanks.

I thought it a well balanced report for want of a better word.

• Like 4

Seems a sound take on things to me.

thanks for posting.

Nice for someone from one of the national bodies to stick there head above the parapet on the matter. Well done Mr Lambert

• Like 1

Excellent write up and probably one that a lot of so called experts on most forums should have a very SLOW read of :ph34r::angry:

Yes I noted the point made about it being ok for an experience tower to go to 100% ratio, while 85% if just starting.

There are still many towers who think over 85% isn't advisable.

Excellent article

• Like 1

This is something we've been saying for years on CT, so it's good to read this and have it confirmed by others.

A very well written article so thanks to "xtrailman" for the link.

Gordon.

• Like 2

Nothing there that gives me a headache, either.

Thanks xtrailman, a good read giving a nice balanced view of this sometimes thorny subject.

John. :)

I didn't really understand the email reply in the last bit of that article, so I checked on the Gov website.

For drivers who passed their tests before Jan 2013, they can now tow any weight of trailer (usual length and width restrictions apply), for driver who passed after that date, then the trailer entitlement has to be passed.

So the 1997 date is no longer.

Jonny

I didn't really understand the email reply in the last bit of that article, so I checked on the Gov website.

For drivers who passed their tests before Jan 2013, they can now tow any weight of trailer (usual length and width restrictions apply), for driver who passed after that date, then the trailer entitlement has to be passed.

Jonny

As I thought I understood it, the 2013 date relates to unbraked trailers, which are subject to a 750kg limit anyway.

SDA will be along shortly (gets coat and hat. .....)

Jonny

Any weight of trailer, yes, but the 3500 kg outfit total limit still applies from 1997

• Like 1

On 28/09/2017 at 2:47 PM, Sheltie said:

Jonny

The 1997 date remains the most important one. The 2013 update made no significant change to any of the legislation. All it did, in reality, was to remove the restriction on the max weight we can tow, relative to the vehicle.

When the law changed, in 1997, the legislation stated that the MTPLM of the trailer couldn't exceed the kerb weight of the car. This remained in force until 2013, when this restriction was lifted, in line with current EU legislation. We then had the ridiculous situation where it only applied to those who passed between 1997 and 2013, but not those who passed either before, or after, so, earlier this year, the legislation was updated so that no one has that restriction. Now, the trailer can weigh significantly more than the towing vehicle (as long as it remains within both the towing capacity of the car, and our own, personal, licence limits. Other than this, the 2013 changes had no effective impact on what we can tow, at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Blue Sky said:

. ......, so, earlier this year, the legislation was updated so that no one has that restriction. Now, the trailer can weigh significantly more than the towing vehicle (as long as it remains within both the towing capacity of the car, and our own, personal, licence limits. Other than this, the 2013 changes had no effective impact on what we can tow, at all.

Actually, legislation wasn't changed earlier this year, only the information issued by the government was corrected in line with legislation as already in effect since 2013.

53 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Actually, legislation wasn't changed earlier this year, only the information issued by the government was corrected in line with legislation as already in effect since 2013.

Common misconception, although, to be fair, it is, largely, a case of semantics. Earlier this year, the DVLA agreed to make this the basis for all licences (which it wasn't previously). The 2013 changes removed the restriction, but only for post 2013 licences. All 1997 to 2013 licences were still subject to the old restriction (which was, of course, ridiculous, so the DVLA revised it earlier this year). Yes, there was no formal legal change, but it was more than just the correction of an error in the Government info (and God knows there have been plenty of those). It was a revision in the restriction to bring everyone in line with the 2013 changes.  

1 minute ago, Mr Blue Sky said:

Common misconception, although, to be fair, it is, largely, a case of semantics. Earlier this year, the DVLA agreed to make this the basis for all licences (which it wasn't previously). The 2013 changes removed the restriction, but only for post 2013 licences. All 1997 to 2013 licences were still subject to the old restriction (which was, of course, ridiculous, so the DVLA revised it earlier this year). Yes, there was no formal legal change, but it was more than just the correction of an error in the Government info (and God knows there have been plenty of those). It was a revision in the restriction to bring everyone in line with the 2013 changes.  

Which only means that the DVLA put something right that they should have done back in 2013.

• Like 1