Hi I'm A Newbie

Cormax111

Hello everyone, I have been camping for many years and feel the time is right to get a caravan the problems I have is I passed my test after Jan 97. Do I have to take a test to pull a caravan? I drive a Peugeot 308 SW 1. 6 2009 and would be looking for a caravan around 4 berth. Before I take the leap can someone advise me on what I need to know e. g. Weights, cost if I have to take a test etc etc

Many thanks in advance.

You dont need to pass a test to tow but some practice is always good beit private or paid

You cant exceed 3. 5t gross train weight on a B only license

As this topic has been done to death numerous times a quick search will draw up the info Im sure youll find helpful

Good luck

Hi and welcome.

In all such queries as these we need full details of:

1. the model, engine, fuel, trim and gearbox of the car. All we know so far is it's an '09 1. 6 Pug 308SW
  2. the car's plated Gross Train Weight
  3. the car's plated Gross Vehicle Weight
  4. the car's towing limit
  5. the car's kerbweight (even if it is theoretical)
  6. the lowest noseweight limit of the car/towbar
  7. whether the driver has a B+E driving licence You do not have this licence and therefore you're limited to 3500kg of plated weight for the car plus caravan

Once we have that information we can make comment with some semblance of certainty.

5 & 6 aren't so important at the start of this process, but the rest are.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Hi - best advice I could give is to do a Google search & find a local company that do the b+e test - it will more than likely be the same people who do hgv lessons locally. Give them a call & see what they offer & for how much. If you only want a small van they you may well not need the +e test, but to be honest I'd do it as you'll get towing tuition as well.

As stated above you can only tow up 3500k g's on your licence but that still gives you quite a lot of scope.

You'll find the info you need on your v5 as regards weights etc for your car.

Personally we've gone the other way -had caravans &have now gone back to a tent :unsure:

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Just adding so you know there are plenty of vans and cars available which keep you just under the 3500kg limit. ...

We used to have a Bailey GT60 520/4 GROSS WEIGHT 1350kg. ...nice size caravan with a fixed bed.

Towed by a Ford C-max 09 plate 2-litre TDCi KERB WEIGHT 1527kg. ...short rear overhang allowing steady towing and economical driven solo.

Using what towcar the figures make a gross train weight of 3490kg

Im sure other people here will have other options. ...

Hi and welcome.

In all such queries as these we need full details of:

• the model, engine, fuel, trim and gearbox of the car. All we know so far is it's an '09 1. 6 Pug 308SW
  • the car's plated Gross Train Weight
  • the car's plated Gross Vehicle Weight
  • the car's towing limit
  • the car's kerbweight (even if it is theoretical)
  • the lowest noseweight limit of the car/towbar
  • whether the driver has a B+E driving licence You do not have this licence and therefore you're limited to 3500kg of plated weight for the car plus caravan
Once we have that information we can make comment with some semblance of certainty.

5 & 6 aren't so important at the start of this process, but the rest are.

As said you need to do a little bit of homework and find the vehicles weight plates which is usually inside the drivers or passenger door with 4 weights. The largest is the maximum trainweight and the second largest is the maximum vehicle weight .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave