Sign in to follow this  
german in the blood

Lake District

Could anyone recommend a site in the area, as we've never visited this place before we are CMC members.

Our visit would be in the October half term.

Would like to be able to walk into local village, go out for a drink and that sort of thing.

Thank you

• Like 1

If you're looking for clubsites, as opposed to 5-van sites, then I can certainly recommend 2 CMC sites NOT to go to … that's Coniston and Keswick … they're both dark, dismal, tree-shrouded places that will be dripping wet in October.

If you are also a member of the C&CC, then I can recommend Keswick as a lovely lakeside site with easy access into the town. And also Windermere, but that is further out in the country (but it does have a 'pub' on site and Hawkshead Brewery a half-hours walk across the fields).

John

Also that club's site at Ravenglass on the west side of the Lake District.

Edited by moorgate

I would agree with Johnaldo on Coniston. Trees everywhere.

I disagree with the comments about Coniston, we spent a long weekend there in April and it was lovely, there are plenty of trees but they are being thinned out and there are plenty of more open pitches.

How about CastleRigg Hall, near Keswick, Skelwith Fold near Ambleside. Both have good access and are within easy walking distance of Keswick and Ambleside.

My favourite Lake District site is the CC site, Dockray Meadow at Lamplugh. It's away from the over-crowded tourist towns and yet it's only a few miles drive away from Ennerdale Water, Loweswater and Buttermere. There's a nice village pub within 1/2mile and a nice walk to Cogra Moss. The only downside (for some people) is that it doesn't have a toilet block.

• Like 1

I also like Coniston its a lovely walk into Coniston and sit and have a pint of Bluebird outside the pub. Yes many pitches are in trees but plenty are not, we like the open pitches near the top of the site but its personal preference as always.

• Like 1

Again i disagree with Johnaldo. ..I like the trees at Kendal (not Keswick, there's no CMC site there). CCC at Keswick is nice but a pain for weekends due to 3 night stay minimum, and very prone to flooding unless the recent defence works have helped.

Don't discount CLs and CSs. ..there are lots of nice ones in the area.

Thanks for your replies, not a member of the CCC hadn't thought about CL'S.

We don't use our facilities in the caravan, apart from night time.

*Most* of the CLs I've used in the lakes are EHU only, but I can recommend Low Hall Farm at Kirkby in Furness. ..views of the Duddon Estuary, handy for Coniston & the unspoilt western side of Cumbria. Also Riverside at Hesket Newmarket. ..quirky loos in converted sheds, red squirrels on site, handy for north lakes.

Again i disagree with Johnaldo. . . I like the trees at Kendal (not Keswick, there's no CMC site there). CCC at Keswick is nice but a pain for weekends due to 3 night stay minimum, and very prone to flooding unless the recent defence works have helped.

Don't discount CLs and CSs. . . there are lots of nice ones in the area.

Apologies - I put Keswick, when I meant Kendal

John

If you like sites with toilet/ shower facilities try Scotgate caravan site at Braithwaite about a mile into Keswick nice easy walk, or you can follow the beck and pick up cat bells and surrounding area, only stayed once but is open and nice views.

Or Threlkeld hall Farm again outside Keswick but well kept site only about 20 pitches, pub within 10 minute walk in Threlkeld.

Must admit I found Kendal Low Park Wood rather gloomy and only went once.

I have been to Park Coppice Coniston many times and there are pitches ranging from fairly open, mainly towards the top, to tree surrounded pitches in other areas of the site.

The Ship Inn is fairly close to walk to with about another four in the village itself, those being about a 30 minute stroll.