Sign in to follow this  
Insuranceman

Emuk Caravan Towing Mirror

Has anyone used these towing mirrors, I am looking at changing my aero mirrors and have seen these but they are a bit on the expensive side.

Do they clamp around the back of the door mirror or do the clamp onto the top or bottom?

No experience of the Emuk but I can recommend these

https://www. amazon. co. uk/Repusel-3000-Universal-Caravan-Mirrors/dp/B008MLKNGU

After I lost a Grand Aero I got the stainless steel extended version, they grip the top and bottom of the mirror and are very secure, additional bracing legs are available but there's very little vibration with the standard setup. The clamps can be left in situ for the duration of the holiday so they only take seconds to refit.

I made a small mod ( the Repusel tubes are thicker than Milenco) which means I can use my Grand Aeros with the Repusel mounting system if I want.

I have trouble when clamping the aeros to the plastic on the mirror, it is starting to crack, so was looking at ones that wrap around the car mirror instead of clamping onto the plastic. Thanks for the link, they look better than the aeros do they have a screw in clamps along with the straps?

They have a flat plastic strap with multiple holes and a fixed hook on one end. The other end of the strap slots into a U shaped holder which also has a hook on it. You select the hole best suited to your mirror size, position the 3 suckers on the strap so it doesn't rub the paintwork then tension it with 2 thumb turns.

Because it doesn't squash the mirror casing it can be tightened right up and is very secure, doesn't foul the car lens and stays clear of the bodywork if you've got folding mirrors.

I bought the extra long stainless arms, van is 2. 4m and I was towing with an A4 cabby. The SQ5 is wider (with overly massive mirrors) so the repusels were too long and I had to cut about 4 or 5" off them. Handily the offcuts were a snug fit over the milenco arms so I put a bit of adhesive in there and a self tapping screw right through with the head buffed off which means I can still use the aeros.

Repusel sell all of the parts individually, if you like the aeros you could do this mod for a bit less than buying the full set ( I'm assuming the short insert pipe is the same tube they use for the mirror arms). Probably worth paying the extra to have 2 spare mirror heads mind you?

https://www. repusel. com/ENGLISH/catalog/product_detail. php?categories_id=47&products_id=370

https://www. repusel. com/ENGLISH/catalog/product_detail. php?categories_id=47&products_id=311

Edited by Steve05

You can get 'vehicle specific' EMUK mirrors and I have a set for my Shogun. They are easy to fit, well made and don't vibrate. I also have a set of 'universal fit' EMUK mirrors that I used to fit to my Honda CRV, these clamp onto the mirror surround and again are very good. I would definitely recommend them.

https://www. amazon. co. uk/EMUK-100815-Towing-Mirror/dp/B0013T22TO

https://www. amazon. co. uk/Universa-100991-Universal-Caravan-Mirror/dp/B005DJT75W/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1505115321&sr=1-2&keywords=emuk+universal+mirrors

They have a flat plastic strap with multiple holes and a fixed hook on one end. The other end of the strap slots into a U shaped holder which also has a hook on it. You select the hole best suited to your mirror size, position the 3 suckers on the strap so it doesn't rub the paintwork then tension it with 2 thumb turns.

Because it doesn't squash the mirror casing it can be tightened right up and is very secure, doesn't foul the car lens and stays clear of the bodywork if you've got folding mirrors.

I bought the extra long stainless arms, van is 2. 4m and I was towing with an A4 cabby. The SQ5 is wider (with overly massive mirrors) so the repusels were too long and I had to cut about 4 or 5" off them. Handily the offcuts were a snug fit over the milenco arms so I put a bit of adhesive in there and a self tapping screw right through with the head buffed off which means I can still use the aeros.

Repusel sell all of the parts individually, if you like the aeros you could do this mod for a bit less than buying the full set ( I'm assuming the short insert pipe is the same tube they use for the mirror arms). Probably worth paying the extra to have 2 spare mirror heads mind you?

https://www. repusel. com/ENGLISH/catalog/product_detail. php?categories_id=47&products_id=370

https://www. repusel. com/ENGLISH/catalog/product_detail. php?categories_id=47&products_id=311

There is an identical copy of the Repusel Emuk mirrors on Amazon/ebay at a fraction of the price. :)

I did ask the Repusel rep at a show whether theirs were imported but he claimed he didn't know. :rolleyes:

http://tinyurl. com/y9rl7pnv

I have a spare set unused still wrapped and boxed if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

There is an identical copy of the Repusel Emuk mirrors on Amazon/ebay at a fraction of the price. :)

I did ask the Repusel rep at a show whether theirs were imported but he claimed he didn't know. :rolleyes:

http://tinyurl. com/y9rl7pnv

I have a spare set unused still wrapped and boxed if anyone is interested.

Maybe, but those look heehaw like the ones I'm talking about :rolleyes:

https://www. amazon. co. uk/dp/B008MLKNGU?tag=carav-21

Maybe, but those look heehaw like the ones I'm talking about :rolleyes:

https://www. amazon. co. uk/dp/B008MLKNGU?tag=carav-21

"Heehaw" . .......does that mean they do look like or they don't look like? :unsure:

That EMUK/Repusel version has a soft rubber flap to cover the strap adjuster which the original didn't have. The Streetwize version doesn't have a flap but fits in the same manner. It appears that EMUK no longer market that particular mirror as it doesn't show on their website.

The Streetwize mirror is marked E4 012206 KT 3006 which indicates Netherlands approval as does that EMUK mirror. .

"Heehaw" . ... . .. . does that mean they do look like or they don't look like? :unsure:

I think you can guess but, just to confirm, the latter :D

They are worth every penny. They are specific to the car, are rock steady and the mirrors are always in the same place so no adjusting every time.

I bought a pair and am pleasantly surprised how easy they are to fit and rock steady.

The  EMUK Special Mirrors which are specific to the car model are excellent in my view. Not cheap by any means but worth every penny. They do not vibrate, clamp around the mirror not too it and so there is no risk of damage to the car mirror. The image showing the clamping arrangement is not very clear but the clamp itself is in two sections with the rearmost part to which the main clamp (the screwing part) fastens against being a wedge shape resulting in no pressure on the mirror. You pay extra for the arms in vehicle colour finish so on ordering the paint code needs to be provided. The arms are generously long in my opinion and for anyone owning a fairly wide towcar when compared to the caravan (the position that I myself am in) may gain a better sense of security by cutting them down a bit.

EMUK_1.jpg

EMUK_2.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 19:19, Insuranceman said:

Has anyone used these towing mirrors, I am looking at changing my aero mirrors and have seen these but they are a bit on the expensive side.

Consider a cheaper mirror which both clamps and uses straps, and has a lanyard should anything knock the mirror off, I have been using a "MGI" mirror since 2013, cost £20. Made by Milenco.

http://milencolimited. vpweb. co. uk/Products. html

15 hours ago, xtrailman said:

and has a lanyard should anything knock the mirror off

Although I can see the attraction of using a lanyard I personally have long steered away from this approach. Getting a mirror knocked off, or itself falling off, is one thing and not really something to cry about especially if using the twenty pound jobby's that you refer to. Having the wayward mirror swinging around outside and quite possibly bouncing off the door paintwork for a while until you can safely pull-in safely is something else entirely and in all likelihood will result in a cost much higher than that of the lost mirror.

Horses for courses of course and each must decide for themselves although I've never really been able to understand the reasoning behind the purchasing of an expensive towcar in addition to an expensive caravan not to mention associated internal accessories, and then try to skimp and save on a safety item such as the extension mirrors.

The Lanyard is a consideration to following vehicles, and any liability resulting from loosing a mirror.   You don't have to use it.

Fairly old thread, but we too have vehicle specific EMUK mirrors. Expensive but brilliant.   Don't even need to adjust them when fitting.

Old thread I know, but after reading many of the comments here, I decided to check out EMUK after living with wobbly Milencos for six years.  Well, it seems that Volvo's in Germany have a slightly different design of mirror to mine, so, to avoid buying the wrong EMUK, I decided to try the Repusel 3000 option.  This model had good reviews on here and was somewhat cheaper.  

Put the mirrors on this morning as per instructions and cranked them up as far as I dare but try as I may, I could not stop the vibration.  Apart from the fact that the mirrors themselves were nice and even the short arms were longer than those supplied with the Milenco Grand Aero, there was not much improvement.  I'm beginning to wonder if the Volvo mirrors are the issue, but it was just the same on my previous car, a Kia Sportage.

So, Does anyone tow with a Volvo, in particular the previous model V60, who can recommend a decent towing mirror?   No doubt a lanyard or additional arm attached to the doors would help, but to be perfectly honest, not keen on that idea.

Many thanks.      

https://www.repusel.com/ENGLISH/catalog/subcategory_display.php?categories_id=15

I use a set of  Repusels because I got fed up with the  Grand Aeros vibrating. in my experience you can screw them up a lot more tightly because they're not squashing the mirror casing,  I've found them pretty decent. Could it be that the car mirrors aren't rigid enough to cope with the extra drag and are wobbling? As a test you or your passenger could grip the car mirror base and see if that eliminates the problem in which case one of the additional braces they offer could be an option?

Must admit if I had known about EMUK earlier I would probably have got a set of those, no repeated adjustment appeals to me.

You won't probably eliminate all vibration, but I'm very happy with my £20 mirrors (see link above), having used them on a cx-5 for 5 years and now used on my Tiguan twice so for. 

Well in the market for some new mirrors as towing home today and went to overtake and found the millenco mirror gone. Not sure where I lost it, but there you go. Looking for either a good strap on set or very strong full mirror clamp. Never been happy with the two clamp mirrors to be honest

Just ordered some Repusal 3000 as Emuk don't do mirrors for Toyota

If the extension mirrors are fixed to the car mirrors, any inherent movement between the car mirror and the car itself will be transmitted to and amplified by the length of, the extension mirror.

I have the Milenco type, that clamp very firmly to the car mirror, but the car mirror has a small amount of movement where it attaches to the car. Short of gluing the car mirror in place (which negates the ability to swing them out of the way when in a tight space) I just have to live with a bit of movement, which isn't that bad really.

I had never thought about the lanyard idea. I did once swipe a hedge with an extension mirror, causing it to come off, but just went back and picked it up out of the hedge. I'll give it some thought, but do tend to agree with the comment about the damage to the car door when it's dangling around.

You don't have to use the lanyard, but consider what damage it could do if the mirror detached into following traffic on a motorway.