Sign in to follow this  
Vanmaster Man

How I Love France.

I agree John. I mean that people here don't interact in a formal manner with strangers and choose to ignore rather than say hello or good morning etc. I'm not saying they're unfriendly, when I start a conversation out of the blue, they're generally more than happy to join in. What they don't do is the instigating. Stiff upper lip you see. No good to man or beast.

Same in every country i have ever visited John i find you are normally afforded the same amount of courtesy that you show, maybe its an Essex thing?

Phil.

• Like 1

No argument regarding the French, mostly a lovely way of life, very accepting people and a lovely country. Although We have come across some who are inconsiderate, and rude etc.

But I do feel very sorry for you if that is the impression you get of your fellow countrymen. I for one DO find politeness, friendlyness, helpfulness, warmth and more wherever I go in the UK.

For me it's not a them and us. It's we.

John

I find most folk I meet in the UK very friendly, my wife (German) always comments on it when we visit, we're usually in Yorkshire though, perhaps its different 'darn sarf'

• Like 2

I find most folk I meet in the UK very friendly, my wife (German) always comments on it when we visit, we're usually in Yorkshire though, perhaps its different 'darn sarf'

As a yorkshireman born and bred, i take that as a compliment mate, and you are correct too!!

Phil.

I should add I have all the school holidays off so no chance of out of season deals. That does, however give me two weeks at Easter and six weeks in the summer so I can't complain. I would expect the smaller sites to be in less demand and therefore still have vacancies. Best tell the wife we need to get cracking on booking some pitches.

I have a 14 year old daughter and my wife is a teacher so we can only go in school holidays, the larger sites in Spain can be very expensive in the main German & Dutch school holidays, the really big sites like Las Dunas & El Delfin Verde probably won't be your cup of tea because they're both full on.

Laguna, Nautica Almata & L'Amfora are all a little more relaxed.

As a yorkshireman born and bred, i take that as a compliment mate, and you are correct too!!

Phil.

So am I, I'm from Barnsley

Mas Nou is also close by and probably more laid back, also Camping Aquarius, although being right on the beach does attract youngsters.

Phil.

You're all missing my point. I'm saying the Brits are generally standoffish in a first meeting/stranger encounter. The French are more forward in their formalities and choose to interact, as it's the culture to be as such. I think we call what we do, reserved.

Do you ever do the smaller sites Borussia? Any pointers to a nice one?

We love France for the extra space,less crowded roads and pretty towns and villages.

Also more laid back way of life, shops mainly closed Sundays and towns and villages that are not full of drunken yobs on Friday and Saturday nights!

There are good and bad parts in all cities certainly areas of Paris I would avoid!

I have a reasonable level of french and try to practise!

We live in Shropshire (originally from dann sarf) and find people pretty friendly and more laid back.

We walk a lot and find most folk will say good morning or afternoon or wll stop for a chat.

We will continue to spend a couple of months or more caravanning in France while we have good health,joys of retirement!:)

Edited by DavS

Laguna is the smallest one we stay on (been 8 times) it's still quite large but nothing compared to Las Dunas or El Delfin Verde which are both huge.

The small harbour towns of Cadeques & El Port de la Selva are really nice and picturesque, Roses, Empuriabrava and Platja D'Aro are all a bit more commercial, Palamos has a nice old town, I find the actual town of Sant Pere Pescador a little grim, Figueres town center isn't great either but the Dali Museum is good, we liked Girona city centre and of course Barcelona is great (there is a campsite near the airport with a bus stop outside direct into the city). L'Escala is ok never been to L'Estartit but its very popular.

• Like 1

I have been visiting L'Estartit for 35 years, both as a caravanner and staying in hotels there, it has some super sites and some not so good ones. It is a typical Spanish seaside family resort and as such July and August are very busy, however, if anyone needs advice on this area i will be happy to help.

Phil.

I did L'Estartit two years ago just to say we'd been to Spain. It really is a kiss me quick town on the coast. I did however stay for 6 days instead of 4 because we had such a laugh with the Dutch neighbours. We stayed on a site called Campsite Rifort. It was off a roundabout at the top of town and I remember the best fun was that you could park on the beach. Great fun when it became churned up. There was a chicken restaurant in the hills, I think Roses may have been the place, which attracted everyone from miles around. I actually quite liked the place. We ventured south on the coast road to Lloret de Mar. Not as I remember it as a young man. The young Brits have no limits to their behaviour when alcohol is involved. Bless them.

Sadly you stayed on one of the not so good sites then. There are many more much nicer.

Phil.

Positive input would have been to tell me about the nicer sites. That would be of benefit to everyone. What you've done there is hero on the negative.

Tell me about the sites you like Phil and why.

Wow, how much more patronising could you possibly get? not writing your school reports now!!

I assumed from your Kiss me Quick comment that you had no intention of returning thats why i did not elaborate.

If anyone is genuinely interested in the area then i would be only too willing to point them in the right direction, including you!

Not to self, must try harder :wub::wub:

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

:ph34r:

Could both of you please refrain from personal comments. It demeans both of you and the topic.

• Like 2

Nope, can't be bothered any more. And so it ended.

Admin comment:

This post and those that follow have caused this thread to be closed. Please adhere to the forum rules.

Thank goodness for that!!

Phil.

Admin comment:

This post and those that follow have caused this thread to be closed. Please adhere to the forum rules.

Another thread lost to you Phil. You win again, you keeping count mate?

Admin comment:

As far as i can see, the threads still active, its just you that appears to have spit the dummy out, mate.

Phil.

Admin comment:

This post and the following have caused this thread to be closed. Please adhere to the forum rules.

Nah you've spoilt it for me now. No point. Shame.

Admin comment:

This post was the last straw and has caused this thread to be closed. Please adhere to the forum rules.