We've been going to France almost every year for over 30 years.

Just when you think you have seen it all and are running out of ideas, you go somewhere new and have your mind blown away as though it was the first time.

Its a particularly British arrogance that expects foreigners to speak English in their own country.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having just returned from a tour of France, I can't begin to describe the feeling of complete and utter fedupness I am experiencing. I love the slower way of life and the formality they use in their

You should emigrate if France is so much better than England. Why put up with a country that you don't enjoy as much. Life is too short!

Yes the countryside is quiet nice but so is the UK's, yes most of the people are very nice but so are the majority of Brits, is their food that great? Plenty of Michelin Starred and quality eating pla

Posted Images

I had a holiday in France and our guide was a Sorbonne language student, she refused to speak French other than to other French people i. e Shop Assistants. ....not a lot of help when I wanted to practice my French!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Can't say anything nice about something on here without some miserable old fool trying to shoot it down in flames. I enjoyed my holiday and realise that the best part was not being here trying to battle with non contents all my waking life. For those who have the ability to see good in people and their homelands, I wholeheartedly agree with your comments. For those who just moan and ridicule in a cynical way, may you live long enough to see the error of your sad little lives and allow some lightness into your hearts. Life is short, be happy or don't bother. The most important thing is to be content with your lot. I'm as happy as can be, it's not a money thing but a people thing. My glass is half full as opposed to your half empty one and it all comes down to attitude. You can spin it all around with the snap of your fingers or you can fester in the misery of your own making. The choice is yours. To spend your time berating others thoughts on a forum just stinks of nothing better to do. I feel the utmost pity for you and the place you live in this world. Move on mate, be different, be nice to others and most importantly, die happy.

I agree.

Alan

I had a holiday in France and our guide was a Sorbonne language student, she refused to speak French other than to other French people i. e Shop Assistants. . . ..not a lot of help when I wanted to practice my French!

geoff

Mr Val A and I met at 'Holiday French classes' when he had a French girlfriend who, whilst they were on holiday, insisted on taking over every conversation he tried to start. We met at the first class, and by lesson three she was an ex-girlfriend!!

Why would a French doctor need to be able to speak English? However, many do.

Medical assessment would require conversation between patient and staff even if it needed an interpreter.

It's probable that the 'Spanish' heard spoken was the local Occitan dialect (languedoc) which is widely used in the area.

It is not a question of whether the doctor should need to speak English. My point is that given the level of education that they don't have, or are unwilling, to use any English knowing that their patient is probably already distressed enough. I have experienced this in France myself when we had to take my son to the doctors when he had an ear infection. At least I made the effort so communicate in French albeit limited. The situation was somewhat recovered when we went to the pharmacy where the young lady behind the counter spoke in perfect English.

We have a friend who lives in Spain and was diagnosed with cancer. She clearly speaks basic Spanish but because of the complication of the information she needed to take in, the hospital nominated an interpreter to explain the detail.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

It is not a question of whether the doctor should need to speak English. My point is that given the level of education that they don't have, or are unwilling, to use any English knowing that their patient is probably already distressed enough. I have experienced this in France myself when we had to take my son to the doctors when he had an ear infection. At least I made the effort so communicate in French albeit limited. The situation was somewhat recovered when we went to the pharmacy where the young lady behind the counter spoke in perfect English.

We have a friend who lives in Spain and was diagnosed with cancer. She clearly speaks basic Spanish but because of the complication of the information she needed to take in, the hospital nominated an interpreter to explain the detail.

David

But you were in France I assume, so no reason they would speak English unless they'd put themselves out to learn it. Just like us with our grasp of French then. If a French person had the same problem with their child whilst here, there would be little chance of finding a French speaking Dr in our hospital.

The question of Doctors speaking in English or not is interesting. In a way the continentals have become a victim of there own success, where it has become the expectation that they will speak English. With the question of interpreters let's imagine that if the NHS had to have interpreters in all European languages and also other ethnic languages employed and on permanent stand by. What would the headlines in Daily Mail be once they found out the cost of such a scheme?

The only time we had to use a medical service abroad was in Germany and the only problem was convincing them that my wife's ehic card was valid, because of the amount of Welsh on it. My father snapped his Achilles' tendon in Spain about 15 years ago, when he got come he was told by his GP how lucky he was because it was much better job in Spain than he would have got on the NHS. Constraint this with the service he got at home. Four weeks after he had an operation that resulted in the removal of his bowel, his consultant said as you know Mr Fred you have bowel cancer, first time anyone had told him. That is bad communication in any language.

I had to see a doctor in Hong Kong. The hotel would have put someone with me to interpret if needed I feel sure. But the doctor spoke great English. No one on the outer office did so it was an adventure going to see him. Very thorough though. Sorted me out by the next day but no flight for 5 more. So an extended holiday on the insurance.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

"With the question of interpreters let's imagine that if the NHS had to have interpreters in all European languages and also other ethnic languages employed and on permanent stand by."

In the UK they can make use of telephone interpreters who are available 24/7.

knarf

"With the question of interpreters let's imagine that if the NHS had to have interpreters in all European languages and also other ethnic languages employed and on permanent stand by."

In the UK they can make use of telephone interpreters who are available 24/7.

knarf

As indeed does the Police force nowadays, its a burgeoning industry!

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Foreign languages is a part of medical training in France.

Who knew?

University student guide in Estonia congratulated on her English. ..." from age 6 we learn a second language,usually Russian for obvious reasons, depending on which school we are at we start another at 8 or 9,usually English or French, at 12 we learn either German or Spanish"...thereafter additional languages are optional!

In the 60's I had a Finnish girlfriend who was a tour courier who spoke 7 or 8 languages well. .why? Because nobody learns Finnish!

I had a couple of Dutch directors who were fluent in English German and French,same reason,nobody spoke Dutch! English was their language around the office of 30 odd people. ..

French I did at school and later in life when looking at buying a property over there started night school. .much of which got forgotten. ..but when you have an injector blow on your car outside Le Mans or a French driver runs into your caravan side then it is surprising just how much you can remember!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Having just returned from a tour of France, I can't begin to describe the feeling of complete and utter fedupness I am experiencing.

I love the slower way of life and the formality they use in their normal day to day meeting and greeting. The kissing and the time taken to talk is something that just doesn't happen in my part of the UK. Sitting in a restaurant or bar and a new visitor arrives and they are almost bombarded with "good evenings" from those already present. These are total strangers being convivial, it doesn't happen here. It makes a huge difference to show this level of mutual respect and friendliness. Life is so much less stressful when people exchange niceties. I found the food to be just as wonderful as ever although the exchange rate played it's part in making everything a little more than it used to be. Still a big gap between our food and theirs, the quality of just about everything we bought was usually of a much better flavour than we can muster in the UK. The markets in France are as ever, very well attended and you have to be early to pick up the best choices of fare. Restaurants seemed just as good as ever and I must admit to having spent far too much time in them.

attachicon.gifIMG_2797. JPG

The seafood was found in La Marie Galante in Audreselles just south of Calais last Friday. It was epic, Lobster and a huge crab, both slit in two, Langoustines, Prawns, shrimp, Clams, Mussels, whelks and a dozen oysters. Stunning.

I entered myself into a Petanque tournament at one of the sites, losing two games but winning the third. Having never played before, I found it to be good fun and a great way to meet the other people on the site. From that moment on I was surrounded by friends and the bar was always somewhere to have a good broken French/English chat. Such lovely people.

Mention Brexit and they all seem sad that we don't want to be part of the team. The Dutch are flabbergasted that we're going from my experiences on sites. Let's be honest that Holland is empty in the summer because the Dutch are touring in their caravans! There are so many of them wanting to talk about the loss of their "friends" as they put it.

When I returned home on Sunday I realised that almost the first thing I did was to jump into my laptop and search where to go in France next Easter.

Sounds like you've been bitten and Im with you 100%- i hope you do return and enjoy it- if i have any advice for repeat visits? listen to the french radio when there, see words you don't understand? note them down and find out. you will be amazed how it opens up the country to you. i downloaded an app for my phone and its brilliant for understanding the language but i am also undergoing french tutoring which is very difficult but whoever said that good things were easy to come by! Ive been there this week and my challenge was to read the words on signs and challenge myself to their understanding. small steps. speaking as much as possible in french really does help.

Edit, actually maybe i am with you 99%...... i hate seafood! haha!

Edited by RobJS

Caravanless. ...

Went to France for the whole of June about 6 years ago.

Rained nearly every day, and we stopped heading further South when people were coming up from the South coast because it was worse down there.

Never been back, no desire to do so.

I've had 5 days of rain over the last 4 years of 5-6 week holidays in France. Seems you were unlucky but don't let it put you off. Well worth another try.

Went to France for the whole of June about 6 years ago.

Rained nearly every day, and we stopped heading further South when people were coming up from the South coast because it was worse down there.

Never been back, no desire to do so.

Apparently Normandy has more rain than anywhere in the UK, usually though if you're south of Lyon in the summer you're almost guaranteed sunshine. You can always drop on bad weather anywhere though, we once spent the 1st 2 weeks of June camping on the Costa Brava and it hammered it down. I'm not a fan of French campsites (you can probably tell if you've followed this thread) but France is OK. I'd say keep going South and give Spain a go. its so much better than France (apologies to all you Francophiles)

Edited by Borussia 1900

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

The larger Spanish campsited are great, well maintained and with suoerb facilitues, but some of the smaller ones are not so hot, and units can be. crowded in to the point where the overcrowding is dangerous.

Howver, living so close to the Spanish border we do 'pop over' for shopping which is generally cheaper, particularly meat.

With travels in 20 countries under my belt I can't say I love France any more or any less than the others. I have enjoyed different aspects of each of them and would go back to all of them - but wouldn't want to move to live in any of them.

Apparently Normandy has more rain than anywhere in the UK, usually though if you're south of Lyon in the summer you're almost guaranteed sunshine. You can always drop on bad weather anywhere though, we once spent the 1st 2 weeks of June camping on the Costa Brava and it hammered it down. I'm not a fan of French campsites (you can probably tell if you've followed this thread) but France is OK. I'd say keep going South and give Spain a go. its so much better than France (apologies to all you Francophiles)

Have to agree, the Spanish sites, in general, are superior. The other thing i find is the customer service ethic of the Spanish is much more evident than the French which is virtually non existent in my experience.

I should add that France is certainly a lovely country, over the years i have seen a great deal of it, however, i think Spain overall has the edge for me, particularly of course with the winter climate.

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

The question of Doctors speaking in English or not is interesting. In a way the continentals have become a victim of there own success, where it has become the expectation that they will speak English. With the question of interpreters let's imagine that if the NHS had to have interpreters in all European languages and also other ethnic languages employed and on permanent stand by. What would the headlines in Daily Mail be once they found out the cost of such a scheme?

This happens at the moment, it's done via the telephone as knarf notes - it's the same service used by the police.

We agree with you Vanmaster. The difference is we live here so don't have the withdrawal symptoms. La Marie Galante is our favourite seafood restaurant by the way, only 40 minutes away. We also love Spain and we over winter there each year just north of Castellon.

Ask someone in the Netherlands if they speak English, they look at you as if your mental and reply 'of course I do', ask the same question in France and they reply 'non'

Many years ago* I asked a Dutch colleague why the Dutch speak such good English, his reply was "have you ever seen Dutch TV?"

*In the days when English TV could be received in Holland.

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.

Many years ago* I asked a Dutch colleague why the Dutch speak such good English, his reply was "have you ever seen Dutch TV?"

*In the days when English TV could be received in Holland.

English (and American) TV is still broadcast in the Netherlands (I was there at the weekend) and unlike here in Germany it isn't dubbed into their own language, it's left in the original English with Dutch subtitles, Dutch cinemas are the same.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

English (and American) TV is still broadcast in the Netherlands (I was there at the weekend) and unlike here in Germany it isn't dubbed into their own language, it's left in the original English with Dutch subtitles, Dutch cinemas are the same.

With the multitude of channels now available to the broadcasters, I'm not surprised, even in France there are a lot of American TV and films broadcast on terrestrial TNT in their original language.

My colleague made the comment to me in the days of analogue terrestrial TV, with 2 Dutch and 3 or 4 UK channels available.

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.