Sign in to follow this  
Vanmaster Man

How I Love France.

We first started going to France thirty five years ago and at that time hubby was really anti the French. We only went to try to get some good weather. Within a couple of years his attitude had done a complete turn round and now he wonders why we can't adopt more of their lifestyle and attitude.

Great post VM - glad you enjoyed and yes I agree with your comments on their way of life and time taken to interact. It is refreshing for us as we aren't used to it as you say in this busy part of SE UK

I always feel quite "at home" out there also more so than any other country I have visited.

That Fruits de mers looks amazing. ........

You should emigrate if France is so much better than England. Why put up with a country that you don't enjoy as much. Life is too short!

• Like 8

Yes the countryside is quiet nice but so is the UK's, yes most of the people are very nice but so are the majority of Brits, is their food that great? Plenty of Michelin Starred and quality eating places in the UK these days.

You must have noticed when driving through most towns and villages in France how old fashioned and 'grim' they look, really bad in my opinion, I really don't get it why people would want to live there. Crime, violence, racial tensions etc are rife in places like Paris, Lyon and Marseilles I'd much rather live in the UK, here in Germany or if I could speak the lingo I'd love to live in Holland which in my opinion is the cleanest, most modern and friendliest country in Europe.

Before I get mobbed on here as anti-French/European I'm not, I don't mind the French and I've not lived in the UK for nearly 30 years but I just don't get the attraction of living in France especially if you don't speak fluent French, I know (from personal experience) that to come anywhere near to integrating and fitting in you MUST learn the language of wherever you're living and even then the locals will always refer to you as 'the Englander' (some of my best German friends still refer to me as such). The wife (she's German) wants to retire to Spain, I've told her no chance, no way am I ever moving to another country where they don't speak either English or German as a first language, I've done it once and I can't be bothered starting again with another language/culture.

I am however, currently going through the process of attaining German citizenship (dual German/British) due to the uncertainties post Brexit.

You should emigrate if France is so much better than England. Why put up with a country that you don't enjoy as much. Life is too short!

France isn't better than England, being on holiday is usually better than being at home, it's just a case of rose tinted glasses or 'the grass is greener. ............."

• Like 8

I do agree with your point on language. I visit S Spain several times a year to see our family, who speak fluent Spanish.

But most of the expats out there speak barely a word of Spanish, rarely mix with the local culture, shop at Iceland and spend their time in the company of other Brits.

• Like 7

I absolutely agree with Vanmaster Man, and to those who say why not move there - some of us have commitments in this country that we cannot abandon.

One of the things not mentioned is the vibrant local democracy. Some of course would term this as "red tape" but the French don't see any need to "take their country back" as they already have it - as well as the benefits of being in the wider EU.

We love France and would go to live there in a flash if circumstances permitted.

• Like 4

When we came back from France we were in mourning for a couple of weeks. Got a few years to go before retirement, but oh the bucket list is a tour of the country as it's just beautiful and would be nice to do it without the kids

We love France but find that the price of food has escalated in the past year. We find the French quite hospitable except for the lady that runs the first house liberated near Pegasus Bridge.

Had to go to hospital in Sete last year. They do not speak a word of English, just French and Spanish.

Had an horrendous experience.

Had to go to hospital in Sete last year. They do not speak a word of English, just French and Spanish.

Why should they speak English? English as a language is going to lose its importance very quickly over the next few years. If you can't speak the language of the country you are in get a translator app for your phone.

France is ok, I much prefer Germany though, especially Allgau.

Think most have missed the point of VM post. Yes of course its rose tints but he never mentioned about moving there just how much he enjoys holidays and the general appearance of French day to day life in the areas he visits. I totally agree.

Compared to where we both live in UK the pace of life and general attitudes to each other are very different. People are people I agree but ways of life and how life impacts how you deal with things is very different

• Like 4

I do agree with your point on language. I visit S Spain several times a year to see our family, who speak fluent Spanish.

But most of the expats out there speak barely a word of Spanish, rarely mix with the local culture, shop at Iceland and spend their time in the company of other Brits.

A few years ago we were looking for a property in France and instead of taking the caravan did a grand tour using B&B's. ...

In one,in Normandy, there was another couple who had run a guest house in Spain for 10 years but were selling up to be in Northern France so their daughter,in Southampton,could stay. ....I asked how good they were in Spanish? . ..a few words was the answer, my wife said how did they buy goods in the supermarkets?......"Point and show a number of fingers"....all that after 10 years!!!!

geoff

p. s I love France too, but like home as well!

Why should they speak English? English as a language is going to lose its importance very quickly over the next few years. If you can't speak the language of the country you are in get a translator app for your phone.

France is ok, I much prefer Germany though, especially Allgau.

Brexit will have zero impact on the use of the English language throughout the rest of the world. It is the language of international business (not just in the EU). My daughter started with English in her German infants school (although at the age of 5 she was already bi-lingual), now a teenager all her little German friends can speak English. Had gravon42 needed hospital treatment here in Germany, Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden etc all the Dr's and 90% of the other staff would've spoken a reasonable standard of English (the Worlds Language), the French have always be reluctant to speak anything other than French, I speak English and German only so when we have to transit through France I leave any talking down to the wife :D .

Don't believe any mumbo-jumbo that Mr Junker says.

• Like 5

. ................ English as a language is going to lose its importance very quickly over the next few years. ..................................

Please explain.

• Like 1

Brits are pretty terrible at foreign languages though, the hardest thing I found when trying to get my head around German is that we don't understand how our own grammar works and therefore really struggle comparing it to foreign grammar so not only do we Brits have to learn new words, we also have to learn how language works. I've done German language courses with Australians and Americans and they have exactly the same problem.

***** foreigners - how dare they not speak English

• Like 4

Add in the fact that I was brought up in Barnsley in the 70's & 80's and didn't learn to speak proper English until I was in my 20's tha nos :D

***** foreigners - how dare they not speak English

Ask someone in the Netherlands if they speak English, they look at you as if your mental and reply 'of course I do', ask the same question in France and they reply 'non'

• Like 1

Add in the fact that I was brought up in Barnsley in the 70's & 80's and didn't learn to speak proper English until I was in my 20's tha nos :D

Ask someone in the Netherlands if they speak English, they look at you as if your mental and reply 'of course I do', ask the same question in France and they reply 'non'

vive la difference - most many Brits are too bloody lazy to try learning a foreign language and you only have to read todays news to see what an increasing nation of racist xenophobes we are becoming. .....

• Like 3

I see you're in Kent Birdlingbilly, isn't that in France :D:P lol, only joshing

Anyone who thinks that they speak English in the rest of Europe, is deluding themselves. They speak American. English, English is merely a sub dialect of this.

Anyone who thinks that they speak English in the rest of Europe, is deluding themselves. They speak American. English, English is merely a sub dialect of this.

I agree, I am always arguing with my daughters English teacher when my daughter refuses to use 'Americanisms' that she is taught at school, I often 'red pen' the teachers 'red pen'. I put it to her 'English comes from England, not America, in the same way that German comes from Germany and not Austria'. She had no counter argument.

Can't say anything nice about something on here without some miserable old fool trying to shoot it down in flames. I enjoyed my holiday and realise that the best part was not being here trying to battle with non contents all my waking life. For those who have the ability to see good in people and their homelands, I wholeheartedly agree with your comments. For those who just moan and ridicule in a cynical way, may you live long enough to see the error of your sad little lives and allow some lightness into your hearts. Life is short, be happy or don't bother. The most important thing is to be content with your lot. I'm as happy as can be, it's not a money thing but a people thing. My glass is half full as opposed to your half empty one and it all comes down to attitude. You can spin it all around with the snap of your fingers or you can fester in the misery of your own making. The choice is yours. To spend your time berating others thoughts on a forum just stinks of nothing better to do. I feel the utmost pity for you and the place you live in this world. Move on mate, be different, be nice to others and most importantly, die happy.

• Like 5

If you mean me. ................I'm not old :)

If you don't mean me, I don't think anyone has moaned or tried to ridicule anyone. Just points of view

• Like 2

vive la difference - most many Brits are too bloody lazy to try learning a foreign language and you only have to read todays news to see what an increasing nation of racist xenophobes we are becoming. . . . . .

Can't agree with that. There's an urban myth that German was almost the official language of the USA, rather than English, but just imagine if it had become reality. German would have become the language of the internet, Hollywood, and international travel. Brits, like the rest of the world would have learned German as a foreign language for the same reasons the rest of the world now learn English as a second language.

If German was the language of the world, I expect Germans would be lazier in learning a second language, because everywhere they went there was a fair chance that someone would speak German.

English ( or is it American English) has become what Esperanto attempted to be, the language of the world, and if you speak it you have an advantage in travel, work, trade and entertainment. Brits are not lazy linguists, they just don't have the same incentive, so we tend to learn a language for fun, culture and holidays.

Like the OP I love French holidays and spend most of my caravanning time there, but I choose not to live there. I try to improve my French with the internet, linguaphone and college courses, but we have the disadvantage of not coming across spoken French as casually as English learners come across spoken English. English is everywhere and it's such an advantage when you have incentive and easy access to practice.

Gordon

• Like 5