Sign in to follow this  
milkymarsh

U4 Usb Charging Lights - Fit On A U3?

Was thinking that the U4 USB charging lights could be quite useful on my U3 in a couple of places where the kids need things connected. Was just wondering whether they would fit or be compatible with the standard ones there. Any thoughts?

New ones on the U4 here:

https://www. bailey-parts. co. uk/product/1010271

Current ones on the U3 here:

https://www. bailey-parts. co. uk/product/1010228

The new ones probably draw a couple of amps, so its a question of whether the wiring can take it.

I'd have thought you'd be fine.

Dont see why it should be a problem. Both surface mounting with the same type of connector. Liked the idea but would it be cheaper to leave the lights and get a 12v to 5v usb unit and wire that in?

I dnt see why they wouldn't fit. I've been thinking of doing it myself as I think they are a great idea

Where can you get them from?

I dnt see why they wouldn't fit. I've been thinking of doing it myself as I think they are a great idea

Where can you get them from?

Just ordered a pair last night via Bailey parts. If they come in, I'll swap them out over the weekend and post a few pics. If it works, I'll swap a couple more out

£29 to get a USB socket with a cable dangling from the ceiling. ..each to their own. Much cheaper and better 12v solutions available on Amazon IMHO e. g here

• Like 1

£29 to get a USB socket with a cable dangling from the ceiling. . . each to their own. Much cheaper and better 12v solutions available on Amazon IMHO e. g here

Fair point. I'm all for one for integrating into the van as it would be. I've also swapped out the 12v socket space for satellite cable/connectors

£29 to get a USB socket with a cable dangling from the ceiling. . . each to their own. Much cheaper and better 12v solutions available on Amazon IMHO e. g here

Yes, but this requires a 12v socket in the right place, integrating it in the spotlight is a good idea if there is no 12v socket where you need it, such as near the bedside cabinet where many people want to charge their phone at the same time as using it as an alarm clock.

Yes, but this requires a 12v socket in the right place, integrating it in the spotlight is a good idea if there is no 12v socket where you need it, such as near the bedside cabinet where many people want to charge their phone at the same time as using it as an alarm clock.

Now putting a USB socket near the bedside cabinet would have been a GOOD idea ! Why didn't Bailey think of that. ......

Now putting a USB socket near the bedside cabinet would have been a GOOD idea ! Why didn't Bailey think of that. . . .. . .

I've put in a mains socket on either side of the bed. Amazing that something at a total cost of £25 is missed off by a manufacturer!

I've put in a mains socket on either side of the bed. Amazing that something at a total cost of £25 is missed off by a manufacturer!

Yes, many caravans seem to have been designed with little thought given to position and number of 230v and 12v outlets, not to mention 5v.

• Like 1

I would be interested to see how you get on fitting these.

I recently had cause to remove the nearside front reading light on our U3 Cadiz as I thought it would help to screw the front back on which had come adrift.

These are little sods to screw back incidentally.

To say the wiring is cut short is an understatement,there was less than a cm,could hardly see how they were connected to the light.

Ian

I would be interested to see how you get on fitting these.

I recently had cause to remove the nearside front reading light on our U3 Cadiz as I thought it would help to screw the front back on which had come adrift.

These are little sods to screw back incidentally.

To say the wiring is cut short is an understatement,there was less than a cm,could hardly see how they were connected to the light.

Ian

Thanks for the heads up. Will let you know how I get on. Bailey parts say they have despatched them. I see a job on the weekend coming my way!

The original installation will most likely have been done before the cupboards were attached to the side of the van. surplus wire may well be tied into a bundle further along inside the cupboard.

Thanks for the heads up. Will let you know how I get on. Bailey parts say they have despatched them. I see a job on the weekend coming my way!

Any update on the light installation? Would be interested to hear how you got on with it.

Our Rimini has an extra 230V socket at the front end of the nearside bed, matching the standard one at the aft end. I can't work out why it's there as slightly above it is the worktop above the heater with a socket as standard. I'm all for extra sockets but that one's got me flummoxed for a purpose. I mean I do use a CPAP machine at night but that plugs in above the heater and the airpipe runs all the wqy up the bed to my facemask, no problem. Putting the CPAP on the floor would have folk (and beardies) tripping over it. I guess it will always be a mystery.

Any update on the light installation? Would be interested to hear how you got on with it.

Yes I was wondering that,come on Milky lets be knowing.

Ian

Sorry guys. All done, just been mental with work. Am halfway through doing a little how to guide. Works a treat and really pleased with the end result. Will try to post the guide tomorrow night

Here is a little sneak peak for those interested. ....

Will make sure I put the guide over the next day or so

Yes I was wondering that,come on Milky lets be knowing.

Ian

I thought I'd keep you waiting! 😀

post-41311-0-59459400-1505951254_thumb.png

post-41311-0-47897900-1505951265_thumb.png

post-41311-0-08422100-1505951310_thumb.png

Edited by milkymarsh
  • Like 1

Sorry guys. All done, just been mental with work. Am halfway through doing a little how to guide. Works a treat and really pleased with the end result. Will try to post the guide tomorrow nightHere is a little sneak peak for those interested. . . ..

Will make sure I put the guide over the next day or so

I thought I'd keep you waiting!

I simply charge from the USB on the radio though I know some of the earlier u3 radios didn't have one. I suppose it's a nice touch but wasn't that difficult to charge any how as there is a mains plug next to both seats. .(Vigo there is )

For the difference in cost though I'm sure the charging lights will be standard on all vans shortly

If anyone's looking to fit the later type Bailey dimmable spots with the integrated USB charging points they are now available from The Caravan Accessory Shop. They are exactly the same light but a lot cheaper.

The first one I bought was from Baileys (now Prima Leisure) cost £29. 54 + P&P and the last one I bought from The Caravan Accessory Shop was £17. 99 + P&P, links below:

Baileys  https://www. primaleisure. com/product/1010271

Caravan Accessory Shop https://www. caravanaccessoryshop. co. uk/product/led-spotlight-with-switch-and-usb-port-12v/8690

Just had a look at these, both companies are out of stock. Maybe your post generated a lot of sales.  

3 hours ago, Hairyspinner said:

Just had a look at these, both companies are out of stock. Maybe your post generated a lot of sales.  

Yep could be so, Baileys have been nill stock for some time, that's what made me search for another vendor.  

12 hours ago, Vanning Man said:

Try Halesowen Caravan centre, they seem to have them - http://www. halesowencaravancentre. com/spotlight-53-c. asp

Yep, exactly the same light, they have it in stock (£17. 99)

http://www. halesowencaravancentre. com/mensa-1-smd-dimming-ledspotlight-with-usb-port-12208-p. asp

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone who fitted one worried about which connection is which? It seems you can connect it either way round but I don't want to get it wrong.