Scotland No1 Tourist Attraction In The World

Quite possibly my favourite place. I wouldn't mind retiring there to be honest.

We have many English neighbours. Love it up here and are proud of the fact that their siblings have been born and brought up in the most beautiful country in the World. Also have a great community spirit practically running everything from our village Ethos Group to Chairing the Community Council. ....

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

best place to buy Jura whisky - the co-op on special offer!

A few years ago we spent seven weeks touring round Scotland, it only rained once, for six weeks

Try Northumberland - England's best county IMO - not unlike parts of Scotland.

Posted Images

As a Scot, I would like to remind those who would criticise us, that we have evolved from the wild Pictish images you may harbour.

We are almost human now.

Speak for yourself S&S. I'm from the East, and proud to be of Scandinavian extraction.

Bit of catching up to do in the evolution process then :P .

Edited by Sea&Sand

To be fair, Scotland has had a bad summer this year, as has the rest of the UK, except for London and the South East of course! :)

To be not only fair but accurate, Scotland has bad summers most years. Certainly every summer I have spent there, and not in the same months. It rained as much during the 30 days I spent in May some years ago as it did in August some years later and as it did this year in June i. e. most days - and sometimes the whole day non- stop.

The eastern side is usually much drier. Most years the west is a washout.

If at first you don't succeed. ... redefine success.

And thats the point is nt it GAS

Last week I was in the lovely Wee Gem of Kipford with Rockcliff just next door and the artists favourite Kirkcudbright.

On thursday I might be lucky and see The Northern Lights at Fraserburgh.

This summer spent 4 days on a 50 foot gin palace touring the stunning Caledonian Canal.

Scotlands got the lot! mountains beaches glens lochs all on my doorstep and of course there are almost no people getting in your way!

Must say I am not amused by all the publicity we are getting in the caravan clubs magazines and the route 500 is making the roads busy.

Glad to see the usual midge/weather posters might keep our pitches and roads quiet.

Brora CC has got very busy in the last 2 years.

That's probably because of the weather!

B)

Wee trip down to Kintyre this morning with the lorry. Round Loch Lomond to Arrochar first drop. Onward to Tarbert to drop off a pallet bound for Islay at the ferry terminal. Drop at Tangy looking over the beach to Islay and Jura oh aye and Ghia, Then twa drops in Campbeltown passing Killiegruer. Lunch then straight up the road. Magnificent . ... B) .

Speak for yourself S&S. I'm from the East, and proud to be of Scandinavian extraction.

Being near 6ft blond and blue eyed . A reckon I have Viking blood BC. Mrs is Irish. Did the Vikings ever get to Ireland ? :blink:

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Being near 6ft blond and blue eyed . A reckon I have Viking blood BC. Mrs is Irish. Did the Vikings ever get to Ireland ? :blink:

Yes - Ireland had two Viking Ages, from 795-902 and 914-980 - how old is the missus?

The Vikings found America 500 years before Columbus !!!

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Neither Glasgow Patter nor Buchan Doric could be described as Queens English - but in any war, a Jock by your side was a good thing even if you didn't understand him!

Would that Angle-Saxon-or Norman english ?

Its a lovely day up here in the Broch(Fraserburgh).

I am on the esplanade park overlooking the beach the bay has just been visited by a purposeful looking fisheries protection vessel the fishermen probably know a week in advance of his movements.

Off to the esplanade tea room for homemade soup cake and coffee.

Its a lovely day up here in the Broch(Fraserburgh).

I am on the esplanade park overlooking the beach the bay has just been visited by a purposeful looking fisheries protection vessel the fishermen probably know a week in advance of his movements.

Off to the esplanade tea room for homemade soup cake and coffee.

No finer place than the Broch on a fine day! Lucky you!

As for other comments you would think the weather began and ended at the border . ..

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

As for other comments you would think the weather began and ended at the border . ..

Our Scotland tour with the caravan began and ended at the border for about 7 years, we only intended staying there for a couple of nights but loved the St Boswells area that much we never ventured further.

We have relatives and friends in Dunoon and go there quite a bit but thats without the caravan, next year we're booking a cottage somewhere further up and doing the Jacobite run as well as visiting friends on Skye.

Maybe do the long haul with the caravan one day and visited relatives around all the coasts

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Our Scotland tour with the caravan began and ended at the border for about 7 years, we only intended staying there for a couple of nights but loved the St Boswells area that much we never ventured further.

We have relatives and friends in Dunoon and go there quite a bit but thats without the caravan, next year we're booking a cottage somewhere further up and doing the Jacobite run as well as visiting friends on Skye.

Maybe do the long haul with the caravan one day and visited relatives around all the coasts

The long hauls are so easy - as long as you choose your timing - it can be as short or as long as you want - and you're nearly there starting from Yorkshire!

As for other comments you would think the weather began and ended at the border . . .

Massive moon rose an hour or so ago blood red on rising now beaming down on The Broch.

Got a red warning from Aurora Watch so the signs are good for The Northern Lights display-but-not getting hopes up as most residents have never seen them-unlike lucky us-from the esplanade a few years ago.

Hoping to lunch at The Last Bus Works Canteen tomorrow-a wonderful cafe-glad we were there in its hay day it only opens weekends now.

Massive moon rose an hour or so ago blood red on rising now beaming down on The Broch.

Got a red warning from Aurora Watch so the signs are good for The Northern Lights display-but-not getting hopes up as most residents have never seen them-unlike lucky us-from the esplanade a few years ago.

Hoping to lunch at The Last Bus Works Canteen tomorrow-a wonderful cafe-glad we were there in its hay day it only opens weekends now.

There's some good pictures on the BBC website http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-scotland-41199051 of last night's Northern Lights - tonight's are forecast to be better but as always depend on cloud cover.

It's one of my remaining life ambitions to see them.

There's some good pictures on the BBC website http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-scotland-41199051 of last night's Northern Lights - tonight's are forecast to be better but as always depend on cloud cover.

It's one of my remaining life ambitions to see them.

Saw them up here in october from midnight to 3am we got dressed and went to the north shore to see them pulsating luminous green from 10 degrees above the horizon to 40-50 degrees luminous curtains vanishing to be replaced by star bursts and searchlight type pulsing waves completely silent eerie mysterious and awe inspiring.

Nothing happening so far so just having a glass of Jura origin 10 year old single malt.

Saw them up here in october from midnight to 3am we got dressed and went to the north shore to see them pulsating luminous green from 10 degrees above the horizon to 40-50 degrees luminous curtains vanishing to be replaced by star bursts and searchlight type pulsing waves completely silent eerie mysterious and awe inspiring.

Nothing happening so far so just having a glass of Jura origin 10 year old single malt.

Now I am jealous - a glass of Jura Origin while waiting to see the Northern Lights!

The suns recent giant flares should make the northern lights even more impressive, I've seen the lights a couple of times but wish I was up there at the moment and its not just Scotland that's good for the lights, Tan Hill North Yorkshire is also a good place to see them if you're up that way/

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Love the humour on here especially the supposed age of the Irish lady. For sure Scotland is a beatiful country but I am, however, surprised that no-one has mentioned France in the comparisons between countries. If you want diversity look no further plus it has good weather and the highest overseas visitor numbers every year. Wonderful place and before anyone else says it, the people are wonderful too. You just need to get to know them!

Cannie mind if I have sampled the Jura. Is it as peaty as its sister island next door ?

Love the humour on here especially the supposed age of the Irish lady. For sure Scotland is a beatiful country but I am, however, surprised that no-one has mentioned France in the comparisons between countries. If you want diversity look no further plus it has good weather and the highest overseas visitor numbers every year. Wonderful place and before anyone else says it, the people are wonderful too. You just need to get to know them!

Agreed France is a beautiful country but lacks the spiritual Lochs and Glens. Used to nick about with a wee French Filly from Civry nr Orleans in my youth whilst serving for Her Majesty. Should have stuck in with that one. Dad was a Millionaire . .. :( . . Oh Well . ... ;)

Cannie mind if I have sampled the Jura. Is it as peaty as its sister island next door ?

Jura Origin isn't very peaty at all - that's why I like it - Jura do an increasing range of single malts with quite varied tastes.

Now I am jealous - a glass of Jura Origin while waiting to see the Northern Lights!

Went to TheLastBusWorksCanteen today buil by Mike out of stuff leftover by the cable company who operated in the quarry in which the cafe is located 100% vegan-but-super food and a delightful and unique dining experience.

Sorry no web links as my ipad will not supply them!-state of the art-not!

Mike is seriously into vintage crash gearbox buses and intends to drive his to China on completion this year.

Going back tomorrow-only two more weekends of cafe before it closes for the winter.

Then on to Pennan which looks pretty spruced up this year.

Had my arm twisted to go down the dead end to Aberdour beach-woops met a motorhomer coming up the hill who would not reverse 60 feet-so I reversed up the hill 1/4 mile!!

Tested the rear colour camera on our new Seat Alhambra.

The bay was home to Jane Whyte crofter and mother of 9.

On October 28th 1884 she went to the beach as usual and saw a wreck just offshore destroyed in the storm the previous day. A rope was thrown and she waded through the raging surf and rescued

15 men who she took home and fed them!

There is a plaque near the beach to commemorate this extraordinary woman.

Went to TheLastBusWorksCanteen today buil by Mike out of stuff leftover by the cable company who operated in the quarry in which the cafe is located 100% vegan-but-super food and a delightful and unique dining experience.

Sorry no web links as my ipad will not supply them!-state of the art-not!

Mike is seriously into vintage crash gearbox buses and intends to drive his to China on completion this year.

Going back tomorrow-only two more weekends of cafe before it closes for the winter.

Then on to Pennan which looks pretty spruced up this year.

Had my arm twisted to go down the dead end to Aberdour beach-woops met a motorhomer coming up the hill who would not reverse 60 feet-so I reversed up the hill 1/4 mile!!

Tested the rear colour camera on our new Seat Alhambra.

The bay was home to Jane Whyte crofter and mother of 9.

On October 28th 1884 she went to the beach as usual and saw a wreck just offshore destroyed in the storm the previous day. A rope was thrown and she waded through the raging surf and rescued

15 men who she took home and fed them!

There is a plaque near the beach to commemorate this extraordinary woman.

Had a look at the LastBus website, seems interesting - although I eat proper food, especially Aberdeen Angus, SWMBO is a veggie and I do enjoy some of them - so I might gets some brownie points for taking her there next time we're in the area.

post-73786-0-62653500-1505299787_thumb.jpg

Didny work. Hmm ? Was foootering aboot with ma iMac photo booth thingy. A hate technology . ..

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh