• Announcements

• BenF

Forum upgrade   12/10/17

Hi everyone, As you're probably aware, we've been in the process of upgrading the Caravan Talk forum software for a while. I can now confirm that the software has been upgraded and we're fully up to date. Please note that this new software is quite different in appearance and function, so may require a bit of relearning. We are in the process of refining the look, features and experience to make it a bit better and more familiar. If you spot any issues please let us know in the feedback forum. Unfortunately any posts between Monday morning and now have been lost. This is due to when the database snapshot was taken for the upgrade, this may also affect new members since then. We do apologise for this, but we have tried to keep disruption to a minimum. We are already aware and working on the following issues: PayPal payment issues for CT Supporters Forum design, lack of CT branding including colours Temporary loss of reviews databases Navigation bar needs refining We will keep this list up to date, so please check here before posting new updates, or to keep on tabs of our progress. The software was upgraded in order to provide you with a more secure, reliable, faster experience, whilst providing us with more tools to improve the features and options for the forum. Thank you for your continued support. Ben and the CT Team
Sign in to follow this  
wigandiver

Grim Up't North.

Tried to post this in another section without success.

As part of my walk around the boundary of Bolton, (beautiful countryside around Rivington Pike and Jumbles Country Park), I have just finished the section from Walkden to Atherton. Not the most picturesque, but I came across an info plaque about the Worsley Navigable Levels: https://en. wikipedia. ..avigable_Levels

Fascinating Industrial History, which also threw up info about Worsley: What a beautiful place, so near to Salford and Manchester. http://www. penninewa. ..ter/worsley. htm

The next stretch, Atherton to Westhoughton, is the last section, so I need to find another long walk. Leeds to Liverpool along t'cut?

Liverpool to Hull is a pleasant enough walk ;)

• Like 1

Pennine Way ??

• Like 1

True, but what would I do on day two ? :)

Ah; walk back. :D

Pennine Way ??

I prefer flat walks now Ivan.

Thought Leeds to L'Pool, cos it all down hill, or so folks frum Yorkshur will tell you. :)

Not much footpath on M62/M63 though. ..

geoff

My first wife came from Atherton. She was quite grim.

But, yes, there are plenty of hidden gems in the area.

• Like 1

Pennine Way ??

It's called The Trans Pennine Trail, (I've cycled it), it consists mostly of former industrial railway embankments, is mostly flat and easy going.

My first wife came from Atherton. She was quite grim.

lol :D

Not much footpath on M62/M63 though. ..

Geoff

The Trans Pennine Trail is mostly footpaths and quite a walk as Joe Brand found out when she did it, its very popular with cyclists too.

Trans Pennine way is coast to coast, (L to R, or R to L), and is about 215miles long.

http://www. transpenninetrail. org. uk/

Pennine way is North to South, or South to North and is about 268 miles long.

http://www. nationaltrail. co. uk/pennine-way

The Southern start is from Edale: nice pub there. :)

I'm a wimp, so I'll stick to the tow paths.

• Like 1

The Trans Pennine Trail is more than one trail, yes its main route is East to West Coast but another bit of it goes up and down (Sheffield to Leeds/York I think) it definitely goes through God's Home-town (Barnsley) because that's where I get on it. :)

Trans Pennine way is coast to coast, (L to R, or R to L), and is about 215miles long.

http://www. transpenninetrail. org. uk/

Pennine way is North to South, or South to North and is about 268 miles long.

http://www. nationaltrail. co. uk/pennine-way

The Southern start is from Edale: nice pub there. :)

I'm a wimp, so I'll stick to the tow paths.

Started my journey into camping at Edale in a Viva van, happy days on coopers camping field and in the Nags Head, never did the Pennine walk but spent a lot of time walking those big hills :)

The Trans Pennine Trail is more than one trail, yes its main route is East to West Coast but another bit of it goes up and down (Sheffield to Leeds/York I think) it definitely goes through God's Home-town (Barnsley) because that's where I get on it. :)

Reckon the Trans Pennine Way was established by Sustrans for the year 2000 celebrations - along with many others. As for Barnsley being GHT, think he must have been very busy building elsewhere and forgot to finish it off I know Yorkshire deems itself as GOC but Barnsley !!!!!!!!! I do have relatives in the area so have to visit ( very ) occasionally.

• Like 1

Nowt wrong wi Barnsley, go to plenty of worse places.

Mark

• Like 1

Reckon the Trans Pennine Way was established by Sustrans for the year 2000 celebrations - along with many others. As for Barnsley being GHT, think he must have been very busy building elsewhere and forgot to finish it off I know Yorkshire deems itself as GOC but Barnsley !!!!!!!!! I do have relatives in the area so have to visit ( very ) occasionally.

I'm from Barnsley but left to join the Army in 1988, whilst in the Army Barnsley was the destination of choice for my Army mates (they came from all over the UK) to stay at on leave, they all loved the place as does my wife (she's German), granted she struggled a bit with the local dialect to start with but nowadays can say 'eh-up' with the best of em :D

• Like 1

Petercheason,

please accept my apologies for this late reply.

It was only when looking at a post about a "missing" post, that I was prompted to look into "my content" under my name and saw your reply, but in a completely different place. Here: http://www. caravanta. ..grim-upt-north/

Whereas the main thread is here: http://www. caravanta. ..-north/?hl=grim

Not a clue how this happened. Gremlins ?

I posted after your reply, but it is no where to be seen, so that is why I've posted in the main post.

Hope that makes some sense.

We are doing our Scotland clockwise tour shortly, but I'll get in touch when we return.

I did the St Anne's to Glasson Dock stretch of the Lancaster Coast walk, but couldn't do the rest, because I was offered some work.

Curioser and curioser. It now appears in two places. :blink:

Cheers,

Jim.

Edited by wigandiver

wigandiver

The original post in this topic was in the Social Club section of the forum. The Social Club topics do not show on VNC and effectively hidden unless a subscriber navigates there.

DeeTee

wigandiver

The original post in this topic was in the Social Club section of the forum. The Social Club topics do not show on VNC and effectively hidden unless a subscriber navigates there.

DeeTee

Thanks for that info. Lesson learned.

The Transpennine trail goes through the small council estate in Denton, Manchester, where I live.   I've also crossed over it at Lymm in Cheshire.   Its everywhere:D.

Its a pity there isn't a walk along the Manchester Ship Canal, which would be approx. 35 miles long which would go from Salford Quays to Liverpool or vice-versa:D