Sign in to follow this  
maninvan

The Joys Of Selling And Upgrading

Recently visited a dealer and thought that is the van for us now with a good discount on the new van the part exchange for my van the value was the glasses guide price, swings and roundabouts.

However tried to sell it privately on numerous sites. The enquiries you get are beggars belief .

Now please don't ever reply to a text message with the following ;-Hello kindly get back to me on my personal email (brian90ss@gmail. com) or a similar address or goes by the name of Mary regarding the sale of your van they are scam text messages and lead to scam emails as they want you to reply via email. if you reply they claim to be overseas and need you to set up a paypal account, you have probably heard this before but a reminder doesn't hurt as why should some scumbag who won't get a proper job for a living be aloud to rip you off.

Anyway my reply has been Fraud investigation has been given your details and now all has gone quiet and after all this all other daft enquires i have decided to take a loss and part ex it with the dealer .

Take care out their if you are selling it can be a bit of a jungle but don't get scammed !

Andy

• Like 3

A perpetual scam that will catch out some person next week, next month and next year.

Recently visited a dealer and thought that is the van for us now with a good discount on the new van the part exchange for my van the value was the glasses guide price, swings and roundabouts.

However tried to sell it privately on numerous sites. The enquiries you get are beggars belief .

Now please don't ever reply to a text message with the following ;-Hello kindly get back to me on my personal email (brian90ss@gmail. com) or a similar address or goes by the name of Mary regarding the sale of your van they are scam text messages and lead to scam emails as they want you to reply via email. if you reply they claim to be overseas and need you to set up a paypal account, you have probably heard this before but a reminder doesn't hurt as why should some scumbag who won't get a proper job for a living be aloud to rip you off.

Anyway my reply has been Fraud investigation has been given your details and now all has gone quiet and after all this all other daft enquires i have decided to take a loss and part ex it with the dealer .

Take care out their if you are selling it can be a bit of a jungle but don't get scammed !

Andy

A very sensible decision in my opinion,been saying do this on here several times,IMO a good partex with a good genuine dealer is the best and only way to sell a second hand van,no comebacks,nobody coming back banging on your door,often the price is not that far out,from my experience,especially after a private buyer has beaten you down.

I know the professional eBay sellers will disagree swearing it's the only way,their choice.

I buy and sell items on eBay with an item I am selling for £30 k at the moment .

You just need to make sure you cover yourself with cleared funds in your bank account .

Dave

Had one of these scams today.

Edited by bazona

tonight (thursday 31/08/17) ITV 9 o'clock Ebay scammers

"Every day in Britain, 100 people become a victim of fraud when shopping online and organised crime is now targeting eBay, the world's biggest online marketplace. This programme follows detectives from the London regional fraud team as they investigate an Eastern European gang making millions by fooling victims into paying money into accounts they control"

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Along with. ...

"If it looks too good to be true, it probably is"

Sage advice from years gone by that's just as true today.

Andy

• Like 2

Had my caravan advert cloned on Ebay. Selling for £4K less than van was worth. Van had already been sold by me. That's how people get sucked in. If it looks too cheap then it usually isn't legit.

I have sold four caravans privately with no problem. Advertised in the local newspapers at the right price. You want it, you come to see it, you pay cash,no ifs or buts, that's the deal take it or leave it. In most cases I got exactly the price asked. Now I admit all were under £10,000 so maybe that made it easier.

A genuine buyer from Ebay or Gumtree will most times text to check its still there then ring to speak to the seller as they will want to sound you out.

Bids, emails, multiple texts all get told to ring, if they dont then I will block them. I can usually spot the total fakes by 2nd contact and the too good to be true is so right.

Guy from Scotland selling a Versys at a silly price, I told him I was in Scotland that week with work and suddenly bike stored in Liverpool. Handily I was going to Liverpool and what area? NO answer. ...lol

NO ONE will buy anything of decent value OR with potential issues like a caravan/car/bike etc without seeing it and spending time going over it.

I have bought caravans from Scoltand, SE England, a trailer tent from London, 2 trikes from England and 2 from Germany. A very small deposit paid to hold ONLY after a receipt was sent for a refundable deposit if not as described. I have never not purchased after making the trip from N,Ireland.

Most sellers understand a genuine buyer is not going to spend a notable sum on ferries to come look at something unless they are intending to buy it. I have done all negotiation up front. ONLY exception was last caravan, I found one small difference and haggled a further discount for it and that was a dealer, not private as all others mentioned above were.

If you can read people you can easily spot the real buyers and sellers. IF ANYTHING dont seem right run a mile.

A good tip when buying is to ask for additional photos of something very specific, if they cant get photo or dont know what your asking then they either dont have goods OR dont know about them, end of dealing with them.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this