Sign in to follow this  
IanV8

First Time Winter In Spain. Any Tips?

Hi I live near Baza which is an hours drive to Granada and can confirm what a previous poster said about the A92 if it snows they have snow ploughs on nearly every junction and are very quick to get at lest one lane open, the main area of snow risk is the highest point of the A92 at La Mora, but there is an alternative secondary road which is a bit windy and twisty but is always open.

Enjoy your trip.

David.

• Like 1

There a bit of difference between day time travelling near Madrid, Granada and Seville in February in a toasty warm car, and actually staying there. The temperature is likely to be very low, probably below zero at night. I would not chose to stay there in February. We have only done 13 winters in Spain so not so many as some but our journeys through those areas have always been ccccccold.

I can't cope with the heat but don't mind the cold and hate the grey skies of winter in the UK which is part of the reason for wanting to go sightseeing in Spain in February. However, maybe in view of looking at the average temperature of the places we want to visit after reading your post, we could postpone it until March. ;)

I can't cope with the heat but don't mind the cold and hate the grey skies of winter in the UK which is part of the reason for wanting to go sightseeing in Spain in February. However, maybe in view of looking at the average temperature of the places we want to visit after reading your post, we could postpone it until March. ;)

I think that would be a good idea. The winter day temperature would be more acceptable for sight seeing. Do you have a route planned?

Alternatively, go to the coastal area perhaps Castillo de Banos on the med shore where the weather is lovely in February. From there you could see the Almond blossom in the hills and the Festival of Popolus where the red wine flows from the village fountain. A nice day out to the Alhambra. Then move on to Seville in March. Sorry I'm getting carried away but we love the place.

Hi LTC

We consider February to be the worst month in Spain, although still far better than the UK! You would be sensible to delay until March!

Hi LTC

We consider February to be the worst month in Spain, although still far better than the UK! You would be sensible to delay until March!

We haven't had a bad February in 13 winters in Spain on the trot. It depends where you are, and what you think is good/poor. However, March is usually better as LTC wants to visit some of the mountainous and colder places like Seville though. I would do both!

Alternatively, go to the coastal area perhaps Castillo de Banos on the med shore where the weather is lovely in February. From there you could see the Almond blossom in the hills and the Festival of Popolus where the red wine flows from the village fountain. A nice day out to the Alhambra. Then move on to Seville in March. Sorry I'm getting carried away but we love the place.

We have caravanned extensively in France and been to Austria and the other close European countries but never to Spain and never in winter. Reading John's blog, https://jondogoescaravanning. com and http://www. magbaztravels. com has inspired me to plan Bilbeo, Madrid, Grenada, Seville and Careres. Probably too much for one trip but I might not persuade hubby to go again, or being optimistic, he might love it enough to agree to extend our stay.

Thank you for the suggestion I will add it to my list of ideas and information which grows longer every week.

The plan at the moment is The plan is Bilbao, Madrid down to Granada and Seville particularly, maybe the coast, and back via Caceres.

We have caravanned extensively in France and been to Austria and the other close European countries but never to Spain and never in winter. Reading John's blog, https://jondogoescaravanning. com and http://www. magbaztravels. com has inspired me to plan Bilbeo, Madrid, Grenada, Seville and Careres. Probably too much for one trip but I might not persuade hubby to go again, or being optimistic, he might love it enough to agree to extend our stay.

Thank you for the suggestion I will add it to my list of ideas and information which grows longer every week.

The plan at the moment is The plan is Bilbao, Madrid down to Granada and Seville particularly, maybe the coast, and back via Caceres.

A couple of tips. A lot of sites are closed in winter so you should check as much as possible. Arriving in Bilbao, you can stay overnight in the ferry port if this gives you a full day for travel the following morning. If you are planning to go down past Madrid there is a nice site at Riaza (camping Riaza) just north of Madrid and another on the road south Camping Despenaperos (most call it Desperate Dogs) both of which are decent sites and open in winter. If you prefer to travel in daylight as we do for security, these will be about right for the mileage you will probably find convenient.

• Like 1

A couple of tips. A lot of sites are closed in winter so you should check as much as possible. Arriving in Bilbao, you can stay overnight in the ferry port if this gives you a full day for travel the following morning. If you are planning to go down past Madrid there is a nice site at Riaza (camping Riaza) just north of Madrid and another on the road south Camping Despenaperos (most call it Desperate Dogs) both of which are decent sites and open in winter. If you prefer to travel in daylight as we do for security, these will be about right for the mileage you will probably find convenient.

We stopped overnight at Despenaperos on our way home at the end of March this year. The site is accessed through a fairly narrow stone archway which is at an angle to the approach road making entry and exit tight particularly if you have a large rig. Also at the time we stayed processional catapillas were leaving the trees and making their way across the ground to wherever they go. These are very dangerous for dogs if you have them. The site itself is ok but a bit tired, a bit like the guy on reception.

We haven't had a bad February in 13 winters in Spain on the trot. It depends where you are, and what you think is good/poor. However, March is usually better as LTC wants to visit some of the mountainous and colder places like Seville though. I would do both!

Been thinking. :blink: As the primary reason for going to Spain for six weeks is to escape some of our winter and by March winter is nearly over, have any of you Spain experts any thoughts on us going November/ December? I am thinking come home to Christmas and then the days start drawing out. My other thought is that my hip can't get much worse in that time span.

December is normally a lovely month, lots of blue sky and sunshine although it can be chilly in the morning.

November normally has some wet or very wet days, but you will see blue sky and sun as well.

You will NEVER have a succession of cold, wet, grey days as in the UK.

Enjoy yourselves!

• Like 1

We stopped overnight at Despenaperos on our way home at the end of March this year. The site is accessed through a fairly narrow stone archway which is at an angle to the approach road making entry and exit tight particularly if you have a large rig. Also at the time we stayed processional catapillas were leaving the trees and making their way across the ground to wherever they go. These are very dangerous for dogs if you have them. The site itself is ok but a bit tired, a bit like the guy on reception.

Agree about the site, although we have never had a problem with the stone entrance with old outfit which was 12M long.

Worth mentioning though is that this site and Riaza both do ACSI rates.

As the primary reason for going to Spain for six weeks is to escape some of our winter and by March winter is nearly over,

You have summed up my thinking on winter exactly. By early November when it's dark by four o'clock and very likely to be cold and wet, then is the time that I want to get away to warmer places. By the time I return home in early March it can still be cold here but usually Spring is just around the corner. The itinerary for my journey will have been planned well in advance, but if the weather is not to my liking, I simply move on. Two years ago I'd planned for a stay at Riaza but when I arrived it was raining and down to 3C. I simply kept driving. By the time I was over Somosierra I could see white clouds ahead. Aranjuez was sunny so I had some extra days there. On most days as the sun goes down It turns cold but the caravan heater is efficient and the electricity is paid for. Several years ago when my late wife travelled with me we came home for the Christmas period, but now the family fly out to a rented apartment nearby for ten days.

• Like 1

Winter is coming. .....

If anyone wants tips on cheap winters in Thailand and Malaysia instead send me a PM. They have real winter sun and cheap accommodation for those who put their caravans and motorhomes away. The flights there cost much the same as the ferries from UK to Spain - and take half the time.

Winter is coming. . . .. .

And just eight weeks until my sailing date. .. ;)

Jay - do you have an approx itinery yet?

Jay - do you have an approx itinery yet?

Yes! Bardenas, Zaragoza, Albarracin, Valencia, Cartegena, Almeria, Torrox. ............. Not the most direct route but a nice sightseeing drive.

Bardenas and Albarracin are off the beaten track Jay. How do you come across them please ?

Five weeks today, having the caravan serviced Friday, most things and food can be purchased in Spain and Portugal but dog poo bags can be difficult to find so I have put them on my list. I now use Spanish gas bottles so much cheaper.

Bardenas and Albarracin are off the beaten track Jay. How do you come across them please ?

That's the attraction! Both places feature in the ACSI book.

Edited by Jaydug

That's the attraction! Both places feature in the ACSI book.

Thanks.

Yes! Bardenas, Zaragoza, Albarracin, Valencia, Cartegena, Almeria, Torrox. ............. Not the most direct route but a nice sightseeing drive.

We are near Almeria in October and again in the 2 weeks before Christmas. If you are in the Almeria area it would be a chance to meet. We stay with our family and could borrow a car. In December it will nearly be pullover-in-the-evening time.

We are near Almeria in October and again in the 2 weeks before Christmas.

I expect it will be mid-November by the time I reach there - unless the weather has been dire earlier on the journey.

Like others, I'll be looking forward to reading your blog.