Sign in to follow this  
clarkey1984

1990 Abbey Gt516, Toilet Pump Issue.

Hi all, the pump in our abbeys toilet has given up, the micro switch burnt itself out and the pump jammed on, which happened while we were away from site for a few hours, it makes some truly horrendous noises now so it's safe to say it's had it.

I'm just wondering if these units are sealed for life, or if I could somehow find a way into it and change the pump myself, I have a generic submersible that I can use, as I have already done the same with the fresh water pump as that also failed a while back so provided I can access it in some way it should theoretically be possible, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these specific units.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by clarkey1984

What model toilet do you have?

Generally the pump is relatively easy to change BUT you need the correct pump, not any old pump !!!

Edited by Brecon

The loo in question is a thetford cassette porta potti c2, once I found out that you need to remove the toilet paper holder and pull like hell on the surround it pops out and all is revealed.

there's junction boxes and all sorts of stuff in there, the original pump has long since been replaced with a generic one already as the one in there has no way of attaching to the mentioned fixing point in there, it was haphazardly wedged into place with what i presume used to be wood, which had long since rotted away and the thing was laying on its side, the new pump I have is of a slightly bigger size but fits in the recess nicely, the final securing being done using a long screw in the existing hole and a large cable tie, bangernomics at its very best!

As predicted the pump is seized solid and no amount of precision tapping would awaken it so it's in the bin.

While the open and close mechanism is in good health the push down to flush switchgear and associated electroincsnhave fallen to bits, none of it works and it's far more complicated than it needs to be when all it needs to do is turn a 12v pump on and off, and as we have removed the sink due to it being split, I'll simply box in behind the loo and bring it out say 6 inches from the wall to create a small shelf, relocate all of the wiring to inside the boxed in section, with a simple push to make button switch in the top, perfect.

It worked, after a fashion anyway, the cassette / waste tank was a pig to remove as all the broken wiring and micro switch had wrapped itself around the open close mechanism, and by the time I managed to get it out the whole toilet wasn't really held in anymore so I thought ***** it and removed the whole thing, and once I had it turned out that the only thing that was holding the entire toilet to the floor were 2 thin wood screws, which both the heads had snapped off of.

Once I'd ascertained the details of the wiring I chopped everything connected to the toilet (the wiring was really long) so I simply had the direct feed from the battery alone, and did pretty much what I described above, the only issue I had was the new pump not working when connected up to the wiring but it worked when connecting the wires directly onto a battery, pulling more hidden wiring up from under the floor exposed an extremely crusty connecter block, chopped everything off and replaced it, all working so I then fixed the toilet itself down again using 8 meaty wood screws with large washers on, job done.

I also removed the oven which despite it physically lighting properly etc, took nearly 2 hours to cook about 8 fish fingers while we away last time, something is very wrong with it somewhere, and as we never go anywhere that either doesn't have food or electric hook up that's been removed too, and it turns out that a spare microwave I have fits the gap, so that's another job done, I have kept the hob though as that's really handy.

it's now ready for the missus to repaint it and the father in law to box in behind the the toilet where the sink used to be while I'm off on my adventures in the north sea, ill no doubt be posting again around the 18th when I'm back on land and something else fails to work haha.

Edited by clarkey1984

It has taken the best part of 2 years, but now the open close mechanism has totally had it, all I get now is a clunk and something clicking and slipping when you try and turn the handle, I'm presuming stripped plastic cogs or some sort of other catastrophic mechanical failure, does anyone know if such a thing as an open close mechanism repair kit exists?

Many thanks in advance once again :)

First thing is to find out what’s broken (it will be the toilet itself not the cassette) 

Then it’s a case of asking Mr Google. These things have been around for a long time so spares will be easy to find, but you need to identify what is broken first.

Andy

Yes the cassette open close part rotates freely by hand, it does feel and sound remarkably like toothless cogs jumping hopelessly past eachother as opposed to meshing and giving the desired rotation, now I'm back from the north sea again I'll get things apart at the weekend and have a look, thanks again :)

Well that was the simplest repair ever, all it was was a cracked piece of plastic at the handle end of the mechanism, all I did was remove the front 2 screws so that part dropped out of the way, pryed the gap open and administered some 2 part epoxy, a temporary cable tie to squash everything together until the epoxy is dry and added a small screw through both parts to the left of the cracked section just for good measure, it works better than it ever has now.

IMG_20190601_174438-1040x780.jpg

• Like 1