Sign in to follow this  
a18041967

Clubman Sr - Should I Or Shouldn’t I ?

We've been Bailey customers for many years and really like the look of the SR. Having never owned a Lunar, what are they like for reliability?

Key features we're looking for is the wet heating system, solar panel would be nice, larger fridge/freezer, key is weight which this is at our max based on 85%

On my third lunar in the past 6 years and all have been reliable. Some minor snagging issues but nothing major.

I find that they are well built, comfortable and, in my opinion, better designed than Bailey.

Why worry about 85%? It is just a recommendation. Both clubs state that up to 100% is fine for experienced towers.

• Like 2

I agree with Simon about 85%.

As to brand, only you can decide, all manufacturers produce the odd dud and it is impossible to find accurate reliability data about the vans currently on the market. The two biggest UK manufacturers produce by far the largest number of vans seen in the UK and consequently they tend to have the most dissatisfied customers.

• Like 1

Have they resolved the issue of sagging/leaking sunroofs?

We were so pleased with our 2015 Clubman that after 10 months we changed it for a Delta.

No looking back after many months use and many 1000s of miles we still think its brilliant.

(And we tow, carefully, at 100%)

• Like 2

On our second lunar Clubman (2015 Si, now 2017 SB), and very pleased with them.

No issues at all with SB, previous Si had issues with the Dometic loo, but Lunar went back to Thetford for 2017.

Alde is great, especially now that Lunar are installing the in-line pump on the boiler rather than in the expansion tank, which was noisy.

If you are thinking of the SR, check that the length of the fixed bed is long enough for you - thats why we went for the single beds!

Edited by hp100425ev
  • Like 2

I see what you mean HP, the SR's bed would be fine for anyone up to about 5ft 9ins tall but if you're taller than that you need more than the 6ft in the SR. Having said that the SB's are only 6ft 2ins and whilst 2ins can make a surprising difference, I need a minimum 6ft 3ins to be acceptable and 6ft 5ins for true comfort.

We had a 2012MY Lunar which was OK, though both tyres split badly 2. 5 years after the van was built and a bit of furniture veneer was separating 3. 5 years in. When we PX'd it for the Bailey the dealer told me later that they found water penetration above the door frame which they sorted before resale.

Lunar si,two years old in Nov. use it average two out of four weeks in summer,spent two ten week winter spells in Spain,approx twelve

Thousand towed miles.

Only real problem so far,soggy floor in kitchen,fixed under warranty,that's it apart from couple very minor things like light bulbs.

Tows very well,pleased so far,

New to the Lunar brand in march 2017 from Bailey-No better or worse in comparison its just the design aspect layout and quality of fittings that you need to focus on as,previously stated all makes have gremlins and generally people like to vent about bad incidents rather than good!

I think Lunar are still using a traditional timber frame on their caravans but with a lighter 'core' honeycomb internal wall board. They are very discreet in their brochure about the caravan build and construction methods unlike others that go on about SMART, SoLiD and Alu tech. To be honest though they've continued down the traditional timber framed construction it hasn't affected their sales so how important is it really to make timberless vans? Folk base their decisions on how the van looks, layout and weight. Lunar's range look impressive this year and nice bright, tasteful interiors - no red poppies on the curtains thankfully

As a rejecter of the above van please be advised the build quality is horrendus, yes it looks nice but expect things to fall off every time you go out and spend more time getting it repaired than travelling about when you do travel make sure you have phone numbers of all major suppliers as you spend most of your break on the line to them trying to get the van fixed

Admin comment:

Please see post 87 here

As a rejecter of the above van please be advised the build quality is horrendus, yes it looks nice but expect things to fall off every time you go out and spend more time getting it repaired than travelling about when you do travel make sure you have phone numbers of all major suppliers as you spend most of your break on the line to them trying to get the van fixed

The 'major suppliers' to Lunar are major suppliers to all the other caravan brands both here and on the Continent. The caravan manufacturer constructs the body, fits it to a supplied chassis/running gear and fills it with furniture and gear from major suppliers. Nobody can avoid the major suppliers when purchasing a van and usually their products work fine.

• Like 2

We are on our second Lunar, after making a terrible mistake and buying a problematic Sterling. We have a Delta RI and tow at 100% with an Audi Q3. Originally we were having a TI but the noseweight was significantly more than on an RI, so swapped the order. We also did strip some weight from it. The standalone table stays at home, the spare wheel carrier was removed (we have the wheel under the bed as per in the Sterling) and the jacking points went because we have the mover beind the rear wheels.

Hi mrsfallon

Please could you expand on your noseweight comment, we have a TI, and I thought all Deltas had the same 100kg noseweight limit?

Bubble, there are folk that worry about the actual noseweight of van's when they're empty. Personally I feel that's almost an irrelevance given the enormous difference loading a van makes to noseweight and the adjustability available by moving stuff around inside the van.

SDA, I absolutely agree wih you, thats why I asked the question.

Hi mrsfallon

Please could you expand on your noseweight comment, we have a TI, and I thought all Deltas had the same 100kg noseweight limit?

Yes absolutely, my post wasn't that clear. A TI ex works has a noseweight of 91 Kgs. An RI had an ex works nose weight of about 67kgs. These are the exact figures sent to me by Lunar on 24th January for a 2017 spec van. Our Q3 has a nose weight max of 80 kgs and so the TI would have been a big no no for us. I have a friend who bought a TS and was towing it with a Volvo V70 XC, he's had to swap the car to an XC90 because the V70 wasn't great towing the TS (also an 80Kg max car). Nose weight of course is only half the story, to quote Lunar's own words, however I wasn't confident that we would be able to load a TI and get it to the 80 kg mark, so we swapped the order.

Edited by mrsfallon

OK thanks for that,

My experience is that you can make the noseweight more or less what you want, but you do have a good point as its taken practise for us to keep the TI noseweight down to 100kg.

Happy caravaning.

• Like 1