Sign in to follow this  
rominyogi

Help Please, Merc Glc No Feed To Fog Or Reversing Lights!?

Hi all,

I need some help please with the following problem.

When we hook our van up to our new car 2017 Mercedes GLC AMG line the Fog lamps and Reversing lights do not work, all other lights work ok as does the ATC. Not sure about the fridge yet though. We had the caravan checked by our service engineer and everything worked fine. Also we took the van back to the towbar fitter and he says all is ok??

Any ideas please>

David.

Do you have a mate with a towbar? Try his car, if it works the fault is on your Merc

Do you have a circuit tester? Engine off, Ignition on, Handbrake on (Safety First :D ), put your car in reverse. Check which pin number on your car towbar socket you're getting a feed from and make sure it's the same pin number for the reverse lights on your caravan socket (you'll need the caravan wiring diagram for this), do the same for the fog lights. If the pin numbers are the same, you're getting a feed from the car and there is not corrosion on the pins you either have an open circuit on your caravan loom or its been wired up wrong.

Thanks Borussia,

We had the van checked by our mobile caravan engineer and he hitched up his vehicle and everything was ok?

I will have a go with the car 13 pin socket as suggested.

Thanks,

David.

Hi I had the same problems with my lights as you . My 2015 Cadiz does not have the led lights fitted . my car Mercedes GLC coupe amg line has led bulbs . The car only has one fog light and would not operate two on the van . I removed one fog light bulb from the van and the other one worked ! I fitted two led bulbs the same output but they use less power to my caravan and that cured the problem (The reversing lights don't seem to work when I connect the caravan and check all lights before leaving but after I move off forward and stop selecting reverse they work ?? The tow bar fitter could not really help never had this problem before. ( the car tested ok on his test trailer board but I noticed it only had one fog lamp on it .) Hope this helps. Jim

• Like 1

Hi JS,

What a relief thank you for your post. I am not going mad then! We also have two Fog lights and two Reversing lights so i will be removing bulbs! We are back at the towbar fitters tomorrow and i will tell about your post.

I will report back.

Thanks again,

David.

Just to report back for others.

Removing one Fog lamp and one Reversing lamp cured the problem, so not so Smart Alternator.

Thank you very much J&S for your post and others for their suggestions.

Happy caravanning!

David. :)

Its nothing to do with the smart alternator IMO, but the cars current detection circuits, any deviation above or below the norm can flag up a fault.

I have the same problem with my Ford Kuga, I have returned to the tow bar fitter a couple of times, he replaced the unit on the advise of the manufactures all to no avail. I have found that if you select reverse or rear fog 2 or 3 times in quick succession, they will work until the next time they are needed. Not the ideal solution and with know where else to go, it does work.

Dave.