Caravanning With Little 'uns

Northerngirl1

Hi Guys

It's a while since I've posted. Loving our Eccles Moonstone, she's had a bit of use, and a leaky window repair, but otherwise it's all good. Still check this site regularly - love it.

Our 9 year old niece has been desperate to come away with us, so our first trip with her is in September. The first of many we are hoping as she's great company. I'm hoping for handy hints regarding little 'uns and caravanning. I'm not stressed about it, though I know this site has a mine of information and hints and tips to make things easier. Not having kids ourselves it's gonna be a laugh. I've managed to talk her out of bringing all her cuddly toys and a suitcase! Thanks in advance folks. :lol::lol:

Hi Northern Girl,

Our daughter has always loved caravanning, she's 14 now (thinks she's 24) so it doesn't bother her any more but when she was younger and we hired caravans she hated it when the bunk beds were next to the door, she thought someone would come in during the night and 'get her'!! :o So scared was she that when we bought our own caravan she insisted that we got one with the kids bed furthest away from the door, then I couldn't sleep because I thought the Bogey Man would get me!!! :D:rolleyes:

Swimming pools, theme parks, TV in the caravan etc are all well and good but we found we had the most fun playing cards or board games (something we rarely do at home), it made caravanning sort of 'special'.

Take bikes if you've got room. ...............such fun!

I think it's the 'difference' which made the difference. ..

Ours ( now 35 & 37) were 1 & 3 when we first went out and had four Easter days of torrential rain in the Peak District. ..we did stuff as normal at that age, but as they grew we did more walking, cycling and general togetherness that there never seems time for at home and work. ..

I'm not opposed to today's iPads etc, but wonder if the ability to 'do like every day, but with a different view' has somehow taken something away from the 'specialness' we had before electronic everything.

My recommendation is to make it special by doing more of whatever time precludes when at home. ...she'll have a ball and so will you.

Enjoy while she's young :)

At the end of Sept we take grandchildren (boy 6 and girl 4) away in the caravan for the first ever trip.

So interested in reading these posts.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

My children love our caravan holidays. They are 10 and 6, so similar ahes. I am sure your niece will enjoy herself with you. I agree with the others regarding doing things that perhaps you don't do so much at home. Outdoors games, board games, reading, watching wildlife.

I think as others have pointed out its the fact children get 100% of our attention as we don't have the distractions normally associated with home life makes the big difference.

Hope you can stay the pace with an 9 year old

Have fun. I'm sure you all will.

I would say it's give and take, don't let the weather stop you from doing anything, bribery always works. Respect the other campers and follow the rules of the site regarding ball games and cycling on site, saves the wardens having a go at you. What sort of site are going to?

Let her bring some of her cuddly toys and a small suitcase or bag. It will make the caravan more like a home for her.

Both our boys have been caravanning from 8 weeks old and at 12 weeks they both when to France.

Just had our 12yr old grandson with us for a few days.

Tried to entertain him with days out until he said it was fun just being in the caravan!! Played lots chess and Monopoly, maybe ludo and snakes & ladders for younger members.

I guess you all know why grandkids and grandparents get on so well? - because they unite against the common enemy! What goes on in our caravan stays in the caravan - had to keep the sugar intake up with chocolate, crisps etc.

Definately doing it again next year.

We took our grandsons (5&8) away to ours. Its at Bala on a seasonal pitch.

Bailey Ranger 470/4 with a side dinette - quite small compared to others.

They loved it. Took them last year too and couldn't wait for this summer.

Kept them busy so they were so knackered they fell asleep. Long days out every day with picnics.

The full awning was a boon. They "helped" Grandma and grandad with the jobs . ... water etc. They brought just a couple of toys and books. They wrote a couple of sentences as a diary every evening to show/tell Mum and Dad. And kept leaflets of everywhere we went.

We were totally b*ggered at the end of it, but had a ball too.

Can't wait till next year.

Get her a caravan sleep friend that she picks just for the caravan and it can live in her bed (cupboard) IF she sleeps with a furry or doll at home this will be the single most important thing you can do.

Get some old board games suitable for her age and designate a drawer or low cupboard as the game drawer so she can get to it. Add stuff from charity shops when your out as a surprise for her.

Bikes are good but at 3 it will be a tow behind or a bike with a parent handle. I tow our 3 year old in a buggy behind bike and the rest of us are under our own steam that we we can cover a few miles and she is still happy as she has loads to see and can talk away.

A tv/dvd with a few 2nd hand kids dvd's are a good idea as well, we have a 12V version so works when we have no EHU

The one thing a child loves is attention and in a caravan they will get more of yours so they are easier to keep happy.

Enjoy.

Edited by baddon

We are currently in the 2nd week of a trip away in Norfolk with our 8 yr old grandaughter. Its the one 2 one attention they remember. Let them help with the "caravan jobs" (water, waste etc,) walk, climb trees, fly kites, explore, spot wildlife, anything different from when at home. Despite more than 60 years age difference, everybody wins. We (and they) love it and she sleeps like a log every night.

Ours are a bit younger.

We stay at a mixture of sites. On ones with a playground, it never fails to amaze me how quickly they make friends which can give you a break! Though you might not need one if you are just "borrowing her"!

Ours are a bit younger but like others have said i think the main thing is the extra attention they get while away in the caravan, thinking back to our weekend just gone i know i spent a much more time playing with the kids than i normally would at home.

My kids love helping out with all the caravan stuff, fetching the water, putting up the awning etc. Although it takes twice as long it doesnt matter, although to me its a job for the kids its fun and something different and all part of the experience.

The only tip I would make is be aware of the roads on sites as we all know the drivers that total disrespect any 5 mph speed limits and cars and caravans are maneuvering if she goes off cycling .

Dave

Mine are 8 and 6 and have been caravanning for 4 years.

They love just being away and make their own games.

As long as you have a playground then friends will be made.

My kids each have a bear in the van that lives in it and they bring one bag of toys they bring with them

Enjoy, we have a TV and DVD for rainy days, but making camp in the back is always more fun.

We just spent a long weekend at http://www. bridgehousemarina. co. uk/ with our 4 year old grandaughter.

My sister and BIL joined us on Friday, with their 4 year old GD for the rest of the weekend.

The kids slept in our van and proved excellent company for each other. Having a little playground on site was a boon. They loved it, and I'd look for a site with that again.

Water filling, emptying, (I let them off the toilet cassette jobby), walks to see the boats, seeing the wild life, tow path walks to Garstang : all proved very popular. We all ate in our van, so a great family atmosphere, and the kids had "mini showers", and bed time stories. The pair of them slept like a log. Their parents were very envious, as they are normally up "at the crack o'sparrow". Bird; not Jack. :)

Can't wait to take them away again, but the little dears will start school this year, so less opportunity for mid week adventures.

Edited by Guest

My wife and I started caravanning when our eldest daughter was just 6 months old. We went through all the business of having to make bunk sides to ensure she didn't fall out. Later when there were two of them they often slept in the Transit which I'd converted to a motor van. My picture shows them climbing on a 2ndwwar tank in Normandy. Take plenty of pictures of your kids. I love browsing through all my albums and photos which I've taken over the years. The eldest daughter in my picture had her 50th birthday a couple of years ago.

post-261-0-83314600-1503493724_thumb.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Kids! They are what awning annexes are for!

hahahaha. .. she'd probably enjoy it. ....

I would say it's give and take, don't let the weather stop you from doing anything, bribery always works. Respect the other campers and follow the rules of the site regarding ball games and cycling on site, saves the wardens having a go at you. What sort of site are going to?

Hi Joanie, a site near Keswick. ..

Thanks all for the ideas, she's so excited, as are we. .....2 1/2 weeks and counting. .. I'll let you know how it goes. .. :lol::lol:

Well I'm bricking it!

Away this weekend with my 4 year old number 1 grandson, and the dog.

The problem being my wife is working Saturday so I'm towing, setting up then entertaining said young man until Mrs Caravaner turns up, some 6 hours later, Help!

So I have a bucket of junior meccano and a box of lego already in the van in case I forget, god forbid. A few of his toys that live at our house are already packed, so erm wish me luck!

One plus point he's getting the transverse bed which we won't need to pull out, we are on the make up bed at the front, so while he's asleep we can still get to the bog.

Edited by Simple Life

So I have a bucket of junior meccano and a box of lego already in the van in case I forget, god forbid. A few of his toys that live at our house are already packed, so erm wish me luck!

mmmmmm, if you have a carpet in caravan this may not be the best move, there may be a riot if bits are lost and they are sooooooo painful if trod on in bear feet.

Board games, AND DONT forget bedtime books and cuddlies. Oh and relax, bet its less stressful than you think. Kids helping means things take longer but they enjoy being part of the team, especially if there is a reward, sit down after and enjoy a pack of crisps / lolly etc for a job well done and make sure the good lady is primed to say how well set up it is far better then normal, must be the helper. ...lol