Sign in to follow this  
Asher

Which Plugs To Fit On Towbar?

Hi, this has probably been asked before, but the search function isn't getting me the answer I need at the moment!

We have a 2008 lunar quasar coming soon, which google tells me has the older 7 pin plugs. We are new to caravanning, so starting from scratch installing tow bar and electrics. Should we install the older 7 pin plugs to match the van, or install the newer system (presuming there is some kind of adaptor available?!). I suppose if we were to keep caravanning, in the future we're more likely to be using 13 pin. ..

I may be using the wrong terminology here! caravan talk wisdom would be appreciated!

Personally I'd go with the 13 pin option. They're much easier to use, and more reliable.

Our caravan came with twin plugs, so I bought one of these, and changed over to 13 pin to match the car. Much easier than using an adapter.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/12v-13pin-Plug-2x-Cable-Entry-For-Caravan-Conversion-Maypole-Mp124-/132279421365?epid=1205868260&hash=item1ecc77c9b5:g:4KoAAOSwPM9Zfven

Personally, I would go for a 13 pin setup, and adapt the caravan to suit. You can buy an adaptor to

fit in the meantime.

I would agree with the above posts, 13 pin always, you can buy a 13 to 7 pin plug http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/13-to-7-Pin-Trailer-Truck-Electric-Towing-Converter-Tow-Bar-Plug-Adaptor-Socket-/172511884498?epid=539454818&hash=item282a8274d2:g:So0AAOSwuMZZAtmX (you should be able to get them cheaper) to tow the van home which will operate the road lights, then get the one craigderby has suggested, you can then use the 13 to 7 pin plug to tow trailers if needed

Edited by kiaboy
  • Like 1

A Jaeger 13pin car to 2x7pin caravan sockets eliminates the need for trailing cables and used successfully until change of caravan.

Many for sale on your favourite auction site.

• Like 1

If you like your Avondale and plan to keep it for some time, it's worth considering having it wired with a 13 pin plug. The 13 pin system has been proved more reliable than the old 7 pin one.

John. :)

• Like 1

If you never intend to tow a trailer I would convert the caravan to 13 pin.

But replace the two cables for a 13 core, I did use the two cables into one 13 pin myself, but the two cables taped together I found not very pliable, a single cable although dearer is the better job.

Ran last two caravans with adapter which dealer gave me free,no problems ever.

Geoff

I would also put 13pin on the car. However remember that the adaptor will increase the cable length. So I use a bungee to hold the cable up and stop it dragging on the road (again).

My first caravan had twin 7 Pin, but I new next one would probably be 13 Pin.

TowTrust threw in a 13 to 7 pin adapter when I bought the towbar and electrics kit

One of these, worked a treat

MAYPOLE%206035%20500.jpg

They are £7. 99 on ebay

Edited by kilham5

2008 was the year manufacturer's started using 13 pin euro plugs and there is a strong possibility that the caravan could of already been upgraded with a twin entry 13 pin plug already .

As said future proofing Kyle be fitting a 13 pin socket on the car .

Dave

My first caravan had twin 7 Pin, but I new next one would probably be 13 Pin.

TowTrust threw in a 13 to 7 pin adapter when I bought the towbar and electrics kit

One of these, worked a treat

MAYPOLE%206035%20500.jpg

They are £7. 99 on ebay

:goodpost:

This is the better option than to having extra cables if the Op decides to stay 2x7 pin on van, my brother had these until I fitted the double entry 13 pin plug on his van

Thanks everyone - I think it's unanimous :D

• Like 1