Twin Axle, Single Motor Mover

Colner

I've got a twin axle Swift 645 on order and need a motor mover but not sure whether to go with an AWD or Single axle version.

We had a Bessacarr of the same weight and that had a motor over on a single axle, which worked but it was pretty slow doing it's shuffle corners. I'm not sure how old it was but the rollers had a grit finish rather than a knurled gear arrangement.

So, has anyone got a fairly heavy twin axle with a motor mover and if yes, how do you get on with it if it's only the single axle motor mover?

I've been looking at the Powrtouch, which I think is £1,800 for AWD and £1,350 for the single. ..

Thanks.

We have a 2012 Sterling Eccles Amethyst 1812 kilos fully loaded and opted for AWD Powertouch £1749 fitted toward the September last year expensive i know but totally worth it IMO

Moves the TA superbly admittedly not as agile as our old single axle but never the less couldn't imagine moving it with single movers unless you have al the time in the world for the extra shuffling back and forth.

We live in a quite crescent but can guarantee everybody wants to leave their houses at the exact time I'm trying to move on or off the drive, still all part of caravanning i suppose

Remember the AWD removes 32kg off your payload so you need to carry less in the caravan.

We have a single axle Powertouch on our twin axle Buccaneer. It is okay for straight back and forward and small degrees of turning which is fine for us. If you need more than that the AWD will do a better job but remember it will eat into your payload allowance.

Remember the AWD removes 32kg off your payload so you need to carry less in the caravan.

Worthwhile getting a MPTLM upgrade where possible I reckon

We had a single drive mover on our twin axle bailey senator @1700 kgs & given the option again i would definitely have gone for the AWD. As has been said the single drive is ok for a straight back or forth move, but we found it would only turn a little without assistance from me.

I found with just the single drive unit it was more of an assistance while parking in our storage yard than a stand alone do it all.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Based on previous experience with the Bessacarr and your comments above, I've decided to go with an AWD motor mover. Now it's a case of choosing which one, Powrtouch seems to be popular. ..

We bought a Reich 4WD mover back in 2006 which did a cracking job of moving our 2000kg Buccaneer.

I say did as this year I had to scrap the rear as the box section was corroded through in places.

Just managing with the front at present as generally it only gets used for final siting/levelling.

The single unit that I am left with is not meant for serious manoeuvres and when the tyres are wet and with the non grit type rollers, it struggles to move the caravan even up my levelling boards

Our Reich weighed in at 62kg so a seriously heavy piece of engineering, we had the MTPLM uprated to cover it.

Looking for a replacement at this years show, not necessarily a Reich, open to other makes but it will undoubtedly be 4WD.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

We bought a Reich 4WD mover back in 2006 which did a cracking job of moving our 2000kg Buccaneer.

I say did as this year I had to scrap the rear as the box section was corroded through in places.

Just managing with the front at present as generally it only gets used for final siting/levelling.

The single unit that I am left with is not meant for serious manoeuvres and when the tyres are wet and with the non grit type rollers, it struggles to move the caravan even up my levelling boards

Our Reich weighed in at 62kg so a seriously heavy piece of engineering, we had the MTPLM uprated to cover it.

Looking for a replacement at this years show, not necessarily a Reich, open to other makes but it will undoubtedly be 4WD.

I swapped mine for box aluminium. No rot and less than half the weight!

We have a single axle Truma mover on our 1800kg Delta.

Took a little time to get used to it but I believe I could now use it to put the caravan anywhere.

I wouldn't buy a twin axle mover, too heavy and too expensive.

Powrtouch AWD Auto came already fitted to our (2 year old) Swift 645. Does a cracking job. However, if buying new, I would opt for the manual engagement. It wasn't difficult to engage the manual Powrtouch on my previous 'van and the Auto engage is proving to be temperamental.

We've got a powrtouch awd with auto engagement. Ours really works as it has to turn the van through 270 degrees on block paviors (take a look at the tyres when you do it and you'll think they are being ripped off).

Cannot fault ours at all

AWD for sure, no matter what you do you will end up with the driven wheel off the floor with 2WD. Just drive up a lowered kerb to see the effect. No point in having a mover unless it's 100%, mine is autoengege too, no problem at all. I have seen manual engage systems damage the engagement bar underneath due to its very low height.

Ive got a powrtouch AWD that's had an intermittent fault on one of the axles. I'm assuming that when I use on solely the other axle, it's similar to having a 2WD unit. Don't even think of economising - the performance is awful on 2 wheels, both in terms of tightness of cornering & precision of manoeuvring. ..is ok in a straight line but that's it.

Ive got a powrtouch AWD that's had an intermittent fault on one of the axles. I'm assuming that when I use on solely the other axle, it's similar to having a 2WD unit. Don't even think of economising - the performance is awful on 2 wheels, both in terms of tightness of cornering & precision of manoeuvring. . . is ok in a straight line but that's it.

Same here Disco4 with my Reich AWD.

Although presently I am down to phyiscially only the front mover (post #8), the fact that my rear control box had an intermittent for a few years and I was told by Reich that a replacement was circa £300, I had been making do with the front only for quite a while anyway.

Yes straight line on the flat in the dry OKish but with wet tyres, up a slope, a levelling device or even on the flat sometimes it requires a helping hand.

Turning with just the front operating is not on with mine.

Specifically designed 2WD units may be different.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Same here Disco4 with my Reich AWD.

Although presently I am down to phyiscially only the front mover (post #8), the fact that my rear control box had an intermittent for a few years and I was told by Reich that a replacement was circa £300, I had been making do with the front only for quite a while anyway.

Yes straight line on the flat in the dry OKish but with wet tyres, up a slope, a levelling device or even on the flat sometimes it requires a helping hand.

Turning with just the front operating is not on with mine.

Specifically designed 2WD units may be different.

You can design 2WD until the cows come home, if the driven wheel and tyre isn't in firm contact with the ground it will go nowhere. Simple example, if the rear wheels are driven, go forwards up a drop kerb and as soon as the leading wheels climb the kerb you've lost all drive. If you put the mover on the front wheels the opposite occurs, you simply cannot get reliable drive with 2WD on a twin axle.

Worthwhile getting a MPTLM upgrade where possible I reckon

Quite correct but unfortunately with some caravans the upgrade is paltry!

Powrtouch AWD Auto came already fitted to our (2 year old) Swift 645. Does a cracking job. However, if buying new, I would opt for the manual engagement. It wasn't difficult to engage the manual Powrtouch on my previous 'van and the Auto engage is proving to be temperamental.

If the unit is 2 years old the warranty can be transferred and it can be fixed under warranty as the warranty is for 5 years. Have you contacted Powrtouch about the fault?

Having said that I would like a AWD mover as on many French and Spanish sites the turn onto a pitch can be rather tight. Actually the word "tight" is an understatement in many cases. On one site as we had to squeeze between three trees, it took awhile to position the caravan as we also had to avoid over head branches.

As you can see from the picture, on the left and right, trees with overhanging branches plus the tree in front! Nightmare! :)

post-65184-0-50324900-1503397160_thumb.jpg

If the unit is 2 years old the warranty can be transferred and it can be fixed under warranty as the warranty is for 5 years. Have you contacted Powrtouch about the fault?

Thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately there was no supporting paperwork to show the age of the mover. In the meantime I have found a way around the problem.

Thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately there was no supporting paperwork to show the age of the mover. In the meantime I have found a way around the problem.

Powrtouch would have a record anyway so should not be a problem anyway. Glad you have found a way around it.

Having said that I would like a AWD mover as on many French and Spanish sites the turn onto a pitch can be rather tight. Actually the word "tight" is an understatement in many cases. On one site as we had to squeeze between three trees, it took awhile to position the caravan as we also had to avoid over head branches.

As you can see from the picture, on the left and right, trees with overhanging branches plus the tree in front! Nightmare! :)

Precision pitching. :o A pity that the tree was not bearing fruit. :rolleyes:;)

Precision pitching. :o A pity that the tree was not bearing fruit. :rolleyes:;)

Should that we "lucky"? Many years ago we parked our Isuzu pickup under a guava tree one weekend. After the weekend the truck's bin was full of broken rotting guavas with pips all over the place. Compounded by the fact we had a heavy rubber weave matting in the bin. Took us forever to get mat and bin clean. Never again. Another time I parked my vehicle under a jacaranda tree which was in bloom, the next morning the vehicle was covered in sap. Took forever to get clean again! :D